Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to adjust flemish twist string loop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to adjust flemish twist string loop?

I bought a 1950s Bear Kodiak Longbow from RMS archery. They sent a new flemish twist string with it and it wont stay on the bow string notch tips. I called Bear and they said the brace height should be 8-9"....so I tried both...using a stringer...and it the string pops off at both 8"&9" brace heights or less. The string will stay on the string tip notch shelf if I pinch the loop.

Should I simply seek out a string maker for a new bowstring or can I adjust the loops to make them smaller so they stay put in the bow tip string notchs?

TnA

You can untwist and adjust one end at a time. If you untwist it pinch the string about 6" down and untwist it. When you do you'll notice each color will be twisted to its self. Take a sharpie and mark the center of the existing loop. Now untwist the two colors. You should have the two colors separated. Now gently twist them together and form your loop again. It's important you twist the colors back together using plenty of wax figure out which way the twists need to overlap each other and twist the same colors the opposite direction together. Starting at the where think you need the loop to close. As you put a twist in each color, twist the two colors together the opposite direction and they will conform to eachother. Continue till the main string is reached. Clear as mud? Yeah didn't think so. I don't explain things well. Sorry. I make strings but can't put the act into words. That's why I picked the bow I picked because it uses b50 Dacron Flemish strings and knew I'd never have to buy one.

Easy way but probably not the desired one. Serve them up to make the loop smaller.

Comment

If your string is popping off its probably a twisted limb. Brace height won't cause the string to come off the bow and loop size within reason will not cause it to pop off either

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

limb twist

Comment

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Show us some pictures of the string on the bow while braced.
          Specifically showing the loop size in relation to the tips.
          Usually shows best if taken on the belly side.

Rick

Comment

OH, and P.S.

If you need to make the loops smaller, there's no need in untwisting them.
            Just serve them together at a point that gives you the size you need.

Rick

Comment

are you sure you have the right string? a long bow takes smaller loops than a recurve string. that is one of the reasons they ask those specifics when you order a string.

Comment

Thanks all yall fellas. Pigthumper...wicked instructions... I am impressed with the detail. Ive got nothing to lose tinkering with it.

Ill lookit and post some photos in a couple days. Limbs seemed pretty straight when I eyeballed them. Also I dont believe that RMS would send me an unshootable bow especially after having visited with them.

Comment

Those old Kodiaks have pretty tiny tips. If the bow is bracing correctly the fastest fix is what Rick said to do.

There are some great videos available on the web. Watch a couple of them and you will understand how the string is twisted while building it. Get that down and adjusting loop size is pretty easy. I twist in the top loop but braid in the bottom so it takes me awhile to unbraid and rebraid.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                    Those old Kodiaks have pretty tiny tips. If the bow is bracing correctly the fastest fix is what Rick said to do.

There are some great videos available on the web. Watch a couple of them and you will understand how the string is twisted while building it. Get that down and adjusting loop size is pretty easy. I twist in the top loop but braid in the bottom so it takes me awhile to unbraid and rebraid.
                    Not to derail this thread. You've been given good information.

I don't think I've ever seen a braided loop in a flemish string. Interesting...

Comment

Listen to Rick when it comes to strings. You will eat less crow. Arvin

Comment

The big loop prior to adjustment.
                        Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:14 AM.

Comment

The string came with one loop really big and the other smaller but still too big. One could fit inside the other.

Comment

I watched the youtube videos by the German Bearpaw gal and the English Mick and gave it a whirl....thpppptt!

This is the biggest loop after I twisted it smaller, nocked, strung at 9" brace height. A bit boogery but first times aint always perfect.

Comment

Here is the original small loop strung at 9" brace height. Still too big. It makes me nervous handling the bow with the string nocked this way. Im afraid Im gonna get thwacked by a sprung limb.

Comment

Working...
                              X