Welding guard to frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding guard to frame

Thoughts on welding a heavy duty grill guard to frame of truck?
    Not a front end replacement. Just the grill guard.
    Weight of ranch hand.

Nothings permanent with a plasma cutter.

Comment

Why are you wanting to weld it instead of bolt it, if for some reason it has to be replaced it would be a lot more work. Also if you do make sure you have a very clean ground close to weld and disconnect battery cables so you don't fry your electrical system.

Comment

welded mine on a few years ago and have not had a single problem. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Comment

Welded one on the ranch truck and love it. The only downside is, if you hit something with it....hold on to your teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurdawg View Post
            Why are you wanting to weld it instead of bolt it, if for some reason it has to be replaced it would be a lot more work. Also if you do make sure you have a very clean ground close to weld and disconnect battery cables so you don't fry your electrical system.
            I can't find one for the make/model truck I am looking to put it on. There's some lightweight stuff, but I needed something more durable. I was looking into a custom built bumper when this grill guard fell into my lap. It fits, just the brackets are off. So seeing what I'm gonna do to try to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by dustinhanna View Post
              I can't find one for the make/model truck I am looking to put it on. There's some lightweight stuff, but I needed something more durable. I was looking into a custom built bumper when this grill guard fell into my lap. It fits, just the brackets are off. So seeing what I'm gonna do to try to make it work.
              Seems like it would be better just to fab up new brackets on the bumper.

Comment

will 100% void your frame warranty

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                  Seems like it would be better just to fab up new brackets on the bumper.
                  Yeah that's the route I am going. I was faced with 3 options, modifying brackets, welding to frame, dumping it. Going to try new brackets.

I appreciate all the input.

Comment

Sounds like a great project. Post pics if you can. Can you tell us what welding materials you'll use? 7018?

Comment

Better to bolt it with mid-grade bolts. That way they’ll shear off with a good impact before damaging your frame. Lots of shops get lots of frame work from welded grill guards.

I’ve personally seen 2 trucks (1 ford and 1 GM) with wracked (knocked out of square) frames from corner deer strikes. Both times the shop said the welded grill guard was the cause. Mid-grade bolts will shear before damage occurs to frame.

Just my .02

Comment

Grill guards are called damage multipliers for a reason. In a real impact, you're better off w/out one.

Comment

Working...
                        X