No announcement yet.

hog hunting in harris county parks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The point of the test seems to be to figure out how to do it safely. I'm sure the county is not comfortably turning 100s of hunters loose in a multiple use park with bike riders, walkers, horse riders. picnicers, dog walkers etc.

The positive is they are opening up to the idea to use bowhunters to control the hog population and the inevitable result of the experiment will be that 4 hunters cannot control 1000s of hogs on 8,000 acres. Which could lead to greatly expanding the opportunities for more of us to hunt on county land.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
      [url]The positive is they are opening up to the idea to use bowhunters to control the hog population and the inevitable result of the experiment will be that 4 hunters cannot control 1000s of hogs on 8,000 acres. Which could lead to greatly expanding the opportunities for more of us to hunt on county land.
      True, or it could lead them to believe that bowhunters could never control the hog population and stop it all together.

I'd like to see it succeed and then them allow youth hunts to take place there.

Comment

I'm sure not holding my breath!!

Comment

Why dont yall call the commissioners office and tell him what you think.

Comment

A park closer to me had a deer problem.
            They did a drawing for hunters.
            They closed the park and set rifle hunters up in stands in the middle of the park.

So I'm sure the area these hunters are will be closed.
            If they decided to use several hunters they would close the park just like they did by me.

Comment

Heard about it today on the radio. Air-head newscaster called em Fee ral hogs.
              Im good to go if wify lets me.
              Will check back with ya'll

Comment

Article said .........up to four bowhunters...... Are they stupid? How about 40 bowhunters?
                4????
                These people obviously dont have a clue about hunting. Let one arrow fly and you have a stampde! Maybe 4 GUN HUNTERS and then 4 quailified riflemen could do a push. Then WHOs going to clean em? Huh?
                Will still put my name in.

Comment

Boy have i shot my share of em down here a buddy of mine has a couple acres down in Seabrook and they are every where put out some corn and here they come. I quit counting when i got to around 75 hogs in a couple years but you just cant get rid of those things but i sure tried my butt off on killing em all. I must of went through a couple dozen arrows during all that shooting. Sure was fun.

Comment

Exactly my point, 4 hunters to test the waters.
                    It is going to fail, Lord knows i would want it to be successful.
                    Im just curious since these are supposed to be "experienced bow hunters", why in the pit of Hades are they not talking to this commissioner letting him know it will not make a dent with just 4?

It will have to be allot more hunters and continue trapping as well to just slow them down.
                    Also his estimation is not valid on the number of hogs in the park as well. He needs to get someone to do some kind of educated count instead of spouting out a number like he did.

They was talking about the pig has to be live to feed the hungry. Ok well continue trapping and doing that with the 300 to 400 a year, and let bow hunters put in to draw for tags to hunt them as well. Close the park in sections and let 30 to 40 or more bow hunters in on scheduled weekends or weeks.

These 4 bow hunters need to speak up instead of being greedy with this opportunity.
                    Another catch is, how long do they tend to plan on saying it is a test to see how it will work out?
                    All of this points me to believe it is an excuse for a nice hunting area for a friend who is owed a favor.
                    Anyone with some kind of knowledge on how much hogs reproduce should know this, and i know they know it because they said in the first litter the 300 to 400 trapped in a single year are replenished.

Im sorry but it looks like a jagged pill to me.
                    Last edited by tx07; 03-16-2009, 09:17 PM.

Comment

I suspect they are really not commetted to eradicating the pigs.
                      Wonder if they ever figured out was "trap wise" ment?
                      Political lip service?
                      Time will tell.
                      Last edited by no1hogkiller; 03-18-2009, 10:19 PM.

Comment

This is stupid i think they need to understand that if they put out 4 hunters they will most likely not be accomplishing anything. They need to allow for more hunters to go in with certain guidelines defiantly and let all **** break loose along with trapping. Now all this meat that will of been accumulated could go to Hunters For Hunger which is a charity org. that takes un-wanted meat and puts it toward the homeless. I've been feeding hogs with friends for the past 2 years, there are lots of them and i now have like 25 of em coming to where i feed em and also know where they like to travel. I can bet i wont get to hunt them which suck.

Comment

Coor of Engineers said NO.

Comment

Working...
                          X