NM Elk Hunt 6C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NM Elk Hunt 6C

I am going on my first ever Elk hunt this year. It will be for two weeks in September in New Mexico. Going with 4 3 buddies up to 6C. They have all been to that area many times and they invited me along this year. I am beyond excited at this point.

I am relatively new to bow hunting so I have yet to harvest an animal with a bow. Last year I made a bad shot on a doe in Kansas and fortunately missed her completely, I was a bit low. So I am really trying to practice a lot this time. Currently I have been practicing 3 times a week, that is the most I can do as I travel and am not in town the other days. And have taken a lesson out at Cinnamon Creek in Ft. Worth, well worth the money as they got my bow completely squared away. I figured I am paying $1,000's to go on a hunt I should spend $70 on few lessons just to be sure! I am currently working on my form at 20 yards, while wearing all of my gear as I expect to have it on except my heavy hunting clothes. In two weeks I plan to start practicing from the kneeling and siting positions and do that as my primary practice the next 4 weeks before the trip. My current plan calls for me to get out to practicing about 60 yards for several weeks before I go, but I don't "think", or at least while sitting at my computer think that, I would attempt a shot past 30-40 yards.

For fitness I have been jogging 3 miles 3 times a week. One day a week I put on my day pack loaded to about 15 lbs and my hunting boots and go for a 4-5 mile hike in the heat. Other then that I started back on CrossFit 3 times a week. I know I won't be running up and down the hills but I hope to have some gas in the tank when needed.

I have told all my friends that the first decent thing that crosses my path and I am capable to putting a quality shot on I will do so, I am not a trophy hunter by any means. My friends have hunted this unit for the last 12 years so they know it quite well. They have sent me topo maps, google maps, and all of their GPS way points to study. We will be hunting in pairs of two so my friend will be guiding me so to speak. So based on all of that is there anything else I should be doing in preparation for this trip of amazingness?

Sounds like a great trip..and well planed good luck..on your first elk hunt....

Comment

Elk are very large so you should go ahead and prepair for a 40-50yd shot in case it is necessary.
      Good idea practicing from kneeling position as well. Be ready for some serious adrenaline rush

Comment

Working...
      X