Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
CoolArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr county
Default New Orleans

TBH I'll be visiting the big easy tomorrow afternoon for the first time. Guy here at the office says it's gotten to be a real ghetto place. What says the green screen? I though of checking out the French quarter area and going to dragos or the acme restaurant. Your thoughts?
CoolArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
BBBGP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee Co.

Go. Be smart and safe. Its just like any major city IMO. We need to be AWARE of the situation around us. Don't get chi t faced and stumble to the hotel at 3am.
BBBGP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
GUT_TRAIL
Eight Point

Hunt In: Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Alaska, Texas

I thought it was a **** hole and don't plan to ever visit again. If you go out at night be prepared for anything. Especially Obama's Sons.
GUT_TRAIL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
Mann Eye-Ashley
Six Point

New Orleans is hands down one of my favorite cities. Mostly for the food. Also for the Hurricanes (drink not the storm)....and all the other sketchy poisons I've consumed there, but they taste alright. I was just there a couple months ago for my birthday. I mean yeah, it smells of stale beer, revolting body odor, stinky feet, sewage, and a land fill...but if you can get past that, food and music is great. Also, don't wear sandals. Drago's chargrilled oysters are great. If you make it to Harrah's for a quick game of Roulette...drop 100 on love for me. Have fun, stay safe, and enjoy the scenery!
Mann Eye-Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann Eye-Ashley View Post
New Orleans is hands down one of my favorite cities. Mostly for the food. Also for the Hurricanes (drink not the storm)....and all the other sketchy poisons I've consumed there, but they taste alright. I was just there a couple months ago for my birthday. I mean yeah, it smells of stale beer, revolting body odor, stinky feet, sewage, and a land fill...but if you can get past that, food and music is great. Also, don't wear sandals. Drago's chargrilled oysters are great. If you make it to Harrah's for a quick game of Roulette...drop 100 on love for me. Have fun, stay safe, and enjoy the scenery!
This! I like New Orleans,but it's not everyone's cup o tea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #6
Bigdaddy
Ten Point

Go to Dinnys for seafood, Dragos is overrated unless you go to the original. Mothers for breakfast is the bomb!! My suggestion is go do the bourbon street scene in the early evening. Also use cash for everything last two times I have been there I have had credit card fraud on my AMEX. One other thing I have done is the city tour but I use a private cab. I have used the same guy three or four times. You cam PM me for more suggestions.
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
Flex
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Bushes

Mothers Po boys for lunch are legit, debris is the bomb. Gotta make one trip to du monde for breakfast. Can't really go wrong. Lots of good food. Like was mentioned. Don't get to smashed and wander off bourbon and you will be fine.

Felix oyster house across from acme is cheaper and better.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress

I just feel dirty being in that city. That said I love it and it's always a fun time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #9
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT_TRAIL View Post
I thought it was a **** hole and don't plan to ever visit again. If you go out at night be prepared for anything. Especially Obama's Sons.
The food and music are amazing. Check out the WWII museum. The people are some of the nicest and most accepting I have ever met. Be they Cajun, Creole, white or black.

How do you think our fellow African American TBHers would feel about your Obama's Son's comment?
yaqui is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #10
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Over yonder

I went for the first, and last, time a couple months ago. Biggest piece of trash I've ever seen in this entire country. Not to mention the entire town smells atrocious.
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 01:38 PM   #11
PEC
Ten Point

Great town to visit I take my wife and girls every year because they love going there. No different than any other major metropolitan city, you can get into trouble if you take a wrong turn. Just be smart and don't venture off the beaten path. Food, culture and history are awesome. K-Paul's is a must for dining.

Last edited by PEC; 06-30-2017 at 01:40 PM.
PEC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
Daniel32
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann Eye-Ashley View Post
Pretty much spot on.

Food, Music, and Drinks are great. Is it the cleanest city in the USA...no but what do you expect for a place where people on a nightly basis get drunk and walk up and down the same street
Daniel32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #13
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

I second Getto! I cant stand that place.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 02:02 PM   #14
Johnny44
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD2037 View Post
I went for the first, and last, time a couple months ago. Biggest piece of trash I've ever seen in this entire country. Not to mention the entire town smells atrocious.
You are correct. Cafe DuMonde ain't what it was pre 1980's. Messy, cold coffee, oriental ran. With all its liberal anti-American controversy one has to evaluate whether their hard earned dollars are deserved there.

If I weren't directly connected there, I'd never go back.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 02:05 PM   #15
McLovin
Four Point

Hunt In: Somerville

Getting Ghetto? It's been ghetto for a long time. I would rather take my chances visiting Mexico.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 02:34 PM   #16
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK

Go during Labor Day weekend

txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 02:34 PM   #17
HillCoBowHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas, Georgetown, Burnet

Been to 2 bachelor parties a wedding and a birthday party there. Never had a bad experience. Food and atmosphere are great if you love the night life just be aware of your surroundings and don't walk by yourself. It sucks it's like that there because it's a fun city with lots to do and see historically.
HillCoBowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #18
Mann Eye-Ashley
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
Go during Labor Day weekend

Totally made this mistake a few years ago. Talk about not being able to "unsee" things.
Mann Eye-Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #19
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

LOL! It was ghetto in the 70's but I loved going there to party.

The last time I went it wasn't the same and while I love the food I can get just as good elsewhere so I've probably made my last trip to The Big Easy.

But everyone needs to go at least once.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #20
monsterspike
Eight Point

i love to stroll by the confederate statues and reflect on our nations history.
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 03:01 PM   #21
FriscoAg
Six Point

Grab a burger at Port of Call. Thank me later.
FriscoAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 03:25 PM   #22
Tarleton Jake
Eight Point

Hunt In: Woodson, and Comfort TEXAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterspike View Post
i love to stroll by the confederate statues and reflect on our nations history.
Better make that statement in the past tense! Haha, I won't be going back ever again unless forced to.

Jake
Tarleton Jake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #23
Stick-Launcher
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I met my wife in New Orleans. I asked her to marry me in New Orleans... Don't ask me how that happens!!
Stick-Launcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 03:55 PM   #24
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

I lived down there 28 years ago. My daughter and her boyfriend's family are headed down there tomorrow. I wasn't real thrilled, but they will be staying in La Place, north of 61 so at least from that standpoint they should be fine. I told her that you can go from mansions to ghettos in the blink of an eye, so they need to make sure they know where they are going. Staying with the usual tourist traps should be relatively safe. I really don't know what the attraction is but I lived there for seven years.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #25
Kevin Smith
Ten Point

If you like beggars, go ! That place is a porta potty.
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #26
CJ776
Six Point

Hunt In: Baylor County

Wife's family is all from New Orleans. I've been there at least 15 times.

Food:
-Breakfast - Camellia Grill. Breakfast po-boy with crystal hot sauce on it will make you happy. Go to the original if you can (the one actually in the quarter is great too though).
or
-Court of Two Sisters for Jazz Brunch. All you can eat. Come hungry. A little pricey. Awesome to eat outside.
-Lunch - Port o'Call - order a burger and a tater. Also get a Neptune's Monsoon. Best deal on on alch in all of NOLA. You and another can share it and it will get y'all right. Kicks like a mule.
-Dinner - Commander's Palace or Galatoire's if you wanna go all out on $$.
or
I would go to Felix's for char-broiled oysters. Don't go to Acme unless you want to be a tourist. Go to Felix's. There is a reason the unassuming restaurant has just a big a line as the tourist one. But hey its your trip so go to whichever one!
-Going out - If you are doing Bourbon, go to Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar. It is a bit of a walk but that gets you away from the idiots. The atmospheres at Lafitte's is fantastic. Frenchman Street or Garden District are preferred.

Its a fantastic city to visit IMO. Don't know if I could live there though.....That city is in a bad spot and only the residents can drag themselves out. Have fun, but keep your head about you unless you are with a bunch of buddies and in that case watch your mouth around families. Especially the ones that are dumb enough to bring their kids on Bourbon Street during ANY time of day. They're clueless.
CJ776 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #27
flatlander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

I took the family (kids 13 and 18) in March for sprin break, happened to be St Patricks day weekend.

We had a great time.

Stayed at the Marriott on Canal, ate very well at The Ruby Slipper, Acme, Huck Fins, The Palace and a few others.

Enjoyed the big red bus that drove us around town for a couple hours, the tour guide was very knowledgeable and he sat down beside me and the kids a couple times to talk about stuff he didn't want to talk about over the microphone. There are a lot of stories like that in NO.

We also enjoyed the ghost tour that took us to 6-8 stops after dark, it was as much history as anything.

Yes it's dirty, Bourbon Street isn't for kids (even though we walked about three blocks about 4pm with our kids) and it has a higher probabability of being unsafe than many other cities. However, like most places, it is what you make of it and you can find exactly what you are looking for in that town. Want a history tour or good food? It's there, just down the street from all the things most of us are looking to avoid.

There is a ton of history in that town, I think its very interesting and it has a ton of character.
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 04:59 PM   #28
venado
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb, Guadalupe and Caldwell Countys

This is the crap that happens all the time in New Orleans. I worry every time we have friends wanting to go down town to see the sites. These thugs need a bullet between their eyes!! Happened so quick there was no time to react and if you had a gun it would have been stolen as well and maybe used against you. Always be aware of your surroundings!!!

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...ign=user-share
venado is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #29
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

It's not what it used to be it's a total shot hole. Probably gonna get robbed so I would just stay home.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 05:28 PM   #30
Mambajeep
Ten Point

Good food, good music, good drinks. Total dump. And be prepared for......I bet I know where you got your shoes
Mambajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 05:35 PM   #31
Part Timer
Six Point

Hunt In: Cleveland, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambajeep View Post
Good food, good music, good drinks. Total dump. And be prepared for......I bet I know where you got your shoes
Pretty much sums up the whole experience. But you have to go at-least once.

Go to Nashville next time it's the same only cleaner

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Part Timer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 06:55 PM   #32
CoolArrow
Ten Point

Thanks for all the info. My wife just read all the comments and said I'm going into the French quarter by myself!!

Y'all did good! My plan worked. Drinks on me!
Old 06-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #33
CoolArrow
Ten Point

From the trolleys can we see most of the French quarter or will be jumping from trolley to trolley? I was planning on exiting i10 at canal st and take a trolley. Is the parking safe? And will trolley take us by the restaurant y'all listed?
Old 06-30-2017, 07:11 PM   #34
coker737
Ten Point

Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX

Don't go looking for any Civil War Monuments.

The New Orleans City Council had declared the city's four Confederate monuments a public nuisance.

So Sad
coker737 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #35
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Just got back Wednesday. Had a great time. I'm definitely not into the bar scene and drunks so my wife and I went and had coffee and beignets on Sunday morning at Cafe du Mondé and they were fan freaking tastic. Walked around Jackson square, walked along Bourbon street and stopped in and had a drink.

Are tons of great food (Mothers, K-Paul's, Gumbo Shop, Dragos, Jacques-mos.....

Met some interesting people, had NO issues whatsoever.

I hate big crowds, can't stand to be around drunks and I still had a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 07:26 PM   #36
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambajeep View Post

Heard one guy say something about shoes.......what does that mean?

Old 06-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #37
Mambajeep
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

Just answer "the shoe store" and you're good
Mambajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #38
flatlander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolArrow View Post
From the trolleys can we see most of the French quarter or will be jumping from trolley to trolley? I was planning on exiting i10 at canal st and take a trolley. Is the parking safe? And will trolley take us by the restaurant y'all listed?
Trolleys are good, the big red bus is worth the $, and once you are in the Quarter you can walk pretty easy to just about everything. It was an easy walk from the Marriott on Canal to Café Du Mode wich is pretty much opposite ends of the Quarter.

Also, if you get a chance the neighborhood south of the French quarter is pretty cool. The big red bus will take you right through it, and you can hop off to eat and look around and hop back on the bus at will. Looked like a lot of good restraunts and shops
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #39
BigYoung
Six Point

Hunt In: Freestone County TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

Street hustler will tell you "Yo got yo shoes on yo feet on Bourbon Street! " and then tell you to pay him.

Port of Call kinda smells like a bad catbox.

Usually have a big festival in the city every July 4th.

Last edited by BigYoung; 06-30-2017 at 09:16 PM.
BigYoung is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 09:18 PM   #40
g19rock
Nubbin' Buck

I don't remember the name but there is a coin and arms shop in the French Quarter. All kinds of old guns and swords. They had a blunderbluss last time I went.

g19rock is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 09:21 PM   #41
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Went about 15 years ago.....first and last time. I ain't lost nothing there. Don't understand the attraction.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 09:22 PM   #42
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

I've been lots of times. Parts I really enjoy (WWII Meseum is fantastic, the Zoo and the Aquarium for the kids), the food is amazing, and there is no shortage of alcohol. But, the older I get, the less I Lake to stay out in New Orleans past about 10:00pm. Be aware of your surroundings.

Coop's Place just off of Jackson Square is a local place, really good food
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 09:58 PM   #43
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

My wife and I just got back. We had a good time. And yes I had a dude try to bet me that he knew where I got my shoes. I wouldn't go and not be packing. This was my first and probably last time to visit.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 10:01 PM   #44
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

I was there almost a year ago for a few days.

The place is a dump.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #45
bzzboyz
Ten Point

I love the place. Actually looking at buying a house in the Quarter that we'll rent out when we're not there. If an old guy like me and my wife can handle it on New Years Eve weekend then anyone can. Just stay aware. Don't stay out when it starts to clear out.

Best Po-Boys in the world no contest. http://www.domilisespoboys.com/
bzzboyz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 10:34 PM   #46
rjet
Pope & Young

Havent been there in 21 years, I know that cause my wife was very pregnant with our oldest daughter who turns 21 on 4th of july.
Nasty place but had some great times there in my youth. Lol. Spent a few new years down on bourbon street and actually moved down there for the party for half a year.
My best bud moved there after high school and first trip down remember getting lost and seperated in the french quarter due to outrunnig police in a foot chase. Lol. That was back in the day when the novelty shops sold hits of laughing gas for a dollar.
When wife and I went we hit the aquarium, really likec it and well worth checking out. The rig display was real cool.
rjet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 10:40 PM   #47
Efren
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

It's a fun place but I would never live there. We've been there maybe five times and are willing to go back for sure. Just be smart and you'll be fine.
Efren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 10:42 PM   #48
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Wife is from there. Got married there and go back all the time. If you use your head 99% it will be all good. Uber or take a cab anywhere you need to go at night. Try and stay around other people, whether you know them or not. Most people will get into trouble turning onto a small side street where nobody is. It's a city that has incredible history, food and culture. I wouldn't want to live there but I do enjoy it in moderation.

TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 11:09 PM   #49
RiverRat00
Pope & Young

Was there once I the place has some pretty architecture.

Live music around almost every corner and good atmosphere..

Go and have fun but just get to hotel early
RiverRat00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2017, 11:44 PM   #50
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat00 View Post
Was there once I the place has some pretty architecture.

Live music around almost every corner and good atmosphere..

Go and have fun but just get to hotel early

Yep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro