I want to learn how to weld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to learn how to weld

I know many of you already know how to weld. I'm sure some of you will also be surprised that someone on here doesn't know how.

My uncle welded on our farm, and every time I asked him to teach me, I got a sarcastic answer and no help. Was never allowed to touch anything in the shop (nobody was - I think it was "job security" for him).

Anyways... I'd like to learn how to weld. Not sure how hard it would be to learn what I'm looking to do, but I'd like to be able to do stuff like weld up a ground blind frame, fix a trailer frame, etc... That kind of stuff.

I know there is a ton of stuff on YouTube these days, but there are also a lot of idiots that don't know what they are doing either (for anything - fishing, firearms, welding, etc...). So I'm looking for what a real welder would consider good solid instruction - if there is such a thing for welding on YouTube or elsewhere.

Really wish I had time to attend a trade school somewhere, but I just don't have that kind of time. Full time job with only 10 days off per year, plus holidays. No sick days. So my off time is spread out at less than a day per month.

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated, including starter equipment recommendations.

All the best,
    Glenn

I’m in for this as well. Lots of little projects I’d like create and make

Comment

Check out chuckee2009 on YT. He has a lot of good vids.
      Also Weldingtipsandtricks is a good Channel.

Comment

Wire welder is a good way to start.
        I’ve got a Hobart Handler 140 and love it. It’ll handle up to 1/4” material.
        When I get my new shop built, I will upgrade to a 220 volt machine though.

Comment

For what youre doing, no need to think to deep. Just get a little gas millermatic or hobart 140 mig and start welding. Seriously, that's all you need to do. If you have any sort of competence you'll figure it out in just a couple nights in the garage.

That's what i did when i was 12 and now i mig, stick, and tig. Not ate up with it like a full time welder, but im always building stuff at the ranch with some pretty nice welds for being self taught. If i was working in a plant id probably have to go to school and actually learn though, lol.
          Last edited by CentexRancher; 01-16-2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Miller 211 is a great machine, runs on 110-220 and has a great chart on the side to help with settings

Comment

I have a Hobart 140. Wanted an auto set Miller but no more than I use it in happy. I haven't upgraded to gas yet but I'm getting good enough results with fluxcore. I'm just messing with trailer add ons, wood racks and will be doing a stand soon

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Same here I would like to learn. I just sold my company after 35 yrs. would like to start some projects. Thx for any info.

Comment

if ur ever in lakeway area id show you the basics. I have a wirefeed in my shop that i use for alot of stuff like you described and plenty of scrap to do learning test welds on.

Comment

If you really want to learn to weld I would say learn on a stick. Mig is easiest to learn but IMO you learn more about moving a bead with a Stick.

Comment

In.....

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                        In.....
                        Come on over, we can glue some metal together! That goes for anybody willing to drive to Brazoria

Comment

Is the wire feed units kind of like soldering but on a bigger scale ?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                            If you really want to learn to weld I would say learn on a stick. Mig is easiest to learn but IMO you learn more about moving a bead with a Stick.
                            this is what I did, kinda learned in high school F.F.A. but that was in the late 70's, more sticking rods than welding, I went to st phillips college and tool just the stick welding course, before that I tried the continuing education at northside isd when I was living in S.A. but for mee too many student not enough equipment, good teaching but you need to burn some rods. chucke2009 and welding tips and tricks also good info if you get stuck, hands on is the best way, I have a Lincoln 180 mig, a Lincoln ranger 8 and a 220 volt stick I believe is a miller thunder bolt

Comment

Originally posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
                              Also Weldingtipsandtricks is a good Channel.
                              X2

If you want to weld outside - stick
                              (I hate flux core mig)
                              If you want to just start welding - mig
                              If you want it to look good - tig

I agree that you will learn a lot about welding, penetration, puddle control, etc with a stick. However you may be annoyed fast, especially if you don't have someone there helping you. I can still Tig better than I can stick.
                              If you want a good mig without breaking the bank go for the Eastwood 175. It can weld 110v or 220v. They are only about $480 and I have welded everything from a 3 point hitch for a buddy's tractor, to thin wall rusty shooting rails for a stand (tricky, but can be done). You will be very happy with that machine for a starter. If you want to start doing it for a living, go to Miller.
                              Good luck.
                              Last edited by hot_rod_eddie; 01-16-2018, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X