Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Public Lands - What allows your hunting rights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the "Texas Issues" section on the BHA National Website.

So far we have worked in opposition to commercial sell of venison, warfarin (Kaput) use on feral hogs, and written a position piece in opposition to the development and increased commercial use of the Jones State Forest.

But we are just getting started. I have sent this thread to the board of directors and also the BHA leadership in Montana. We are listening and want to get involved as soon as we can. if you have a specific tract of land that has been affected recently or you are hearing about a policy change/access change that is being proposed please notify me so we can contact who we need to .

If you want to help BHA stay on top of the issues in your area, PM me on here or email me @ jaredkennedy1111@ gmail.com

Comment

Tagged, I think you guys could do some great good for hunter opportunity with difficulties on certain USACE projects like lavon...

Comment

Originally posted by Shallowater View Post
        https://www.backcountryhunters.org/t...ha_news_issues

Here is the "Texas Issues" section on the BHA National Website.

So far we have worked in opposition to commercial sell of venison, warfarin (Kaput) use on feral hogs, and written a position piece in opposition to the development and increased commercial use of the Jones State Forest.

But we are just getting started. I have sent this thread to the board of directors and also the BHA leadership in Montana. We are listening and want to get involved as soon as we can. if you have a specific tract of land that has been affected recently or you are hearing about a policy change/access change that is being proposed please notify me so we can contact who we need to .

If you want to help BHA stay on top of the issues in your area, PM me on here or email me @ jaredkennedy1111@ gmail.com

You may feel it's outside of your/our purview, but I'd like to see an end to prohibition of carrying handguns on most Corps projects, especially for LTC holders.

I'm always a bit nervous going out into my preseason scouting. I try to hunt as far as I can from other hunters. As a result I can make it quite a ways into some places and usually on my own since my hunting partner lives an hour or two from some of our places and I live 20 minutes from a few of them. It hasn't happened to me yet, by I know there have been grows on some of the areas I use. While I'd rather not have any trouble at all I'd certainly prefer to be armed if I should be the person who stumbles onto the next grow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
          You may feel it's outside of your/our purview, but I'd like to see an end to prohibition of carrying handguns on most Corps projects, especially for LTC holders.
          Gotta disagree on that one, think that is actually a very appropriate rule.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
            Gotta disagree on that one, think that is actually a very appropriate rule.

How so? Keeping in mind that almost all other federal lands are open to LTC/CHL holders...

Comment

All of the USACE areas in texas are restricted to limited range weapons for hunting, don't need guys in there popping deer with pistols, and yes it would happen with some of the yahoos that live around these lakes...

Comment

Texas Public Lands - What allows your hunting rights?

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                All of the USACE areas in texas are restricted to limited range weapons for hunting, don't need guys in there popping deer with pistols, and yes it would happen with some of the yahoos that live around these lakes...

So making it double (or triple) illegal will stop criminals? Maybe USACE should prohibit growing, manufacturing, or using illegal drugs on their property too.

There are Corps properties that allow shotgun slugs (I know Bardwell did, but I may have missed it if they changed). I suppose someone could carry a TC and result in something more than "limited range", but is a pistol really going to change that much?

Additionally, there are other public properties that allow rifle hunting, sometimes for deer and sometimes not. How are those different than all the Corps lands?

Comment

Send it my way. We were brand new in the state last year and had no money and less influence. We are 400-500 members in the state now and need to get to work making our voice heard.

Sent you a PM

Comment

Laguna Atascosa

Send it my way. We were brand new in the state last year and had no money and less influence. We are 400-500 members in the state now and need to get to work making our voice heard.

Sent yuo a PM

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen, I had the opportunity to speak to the chapter president of Texas Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and I can honestly and confidently say, we’ve got representation now.

I’m going to be sending him a sample list of some of the information I’ve accrued, but in the future the ultimate goal is to have issues as a state wide level, then specific local issues.

Ideally, if they can get a website up it would have each hunting area and the regulations and concerns facing each area.

But most importantly, this isn’t just a few concerned citizens now. Now, it’s a concerted effort with national recognition, and the best part is that right now with Secretary Zinke and the current state of affairs over public land, they’re going to be looking for good publicity wins.

Ultimately, I don’t think that there is a SINGLE piece of Corp of Engineers property in the state of Texas with a huntable whitetail population that shouldn’t allow bowhunting.

It may have to come from on high at the national level for it to get done, but this is how it’s gonna happen folks. Spread the word. Share this post. Get it out there.

If your section of public land is in danger of having access to it limited, here’s your chance to fight back. And here’s your chance to see some areas of public land opened up that may never have been before.

Comment

Get on 'em about Lavon Kirby

Comment

BHA member here.
                          Glad to have representation in this state

Comment

Just found this thread. Any recent updates? I noticed the website linked earlier in the thread does not come up. Has everything shifted to the Texas chapter of BHA?

Comment

Momentum for this thing died last year unfortunately. I did get a chance to talk to Mike Panasci last year at the Full Draw Film Tour and I’ve talked to him a few times since over the phone.

The current strategy for BHA is to try to get more Corp of Engineer access. I sent Mike an email with most of the information I had but it wasn’t a whole lot unfortunately, and the Keeptexaspublic website looks like it’s a goner.

My recommendations would be to contact the Texas chapter of BHA with concerns regarding the Corp area you hunt if you feel that it hasn’t been addressed adequately. I only knew of most of the areas surrounding DFW.

The stance on BHA is that if it has a huntable deer population and it’s public land, it should be open to bow hunting. In the Northeast you have bowhunters, hikers, cyclists, fisherman and other people coexisting even on some college campuses (forgive me but I cannot remember the specific place) where they had an over abundance of deer.

I don’t see why they can’t do the same here. The view is that with some of the negative publicity (Utah public land issues) that Trump took in the past few months would be that Secretary Zink is wanting to increase access for political clout. Not saying it’s wrong or right, but representation goes a long way, especially when you consider places like Lake Lavon for example.

Comment

Rally your BHA members and you'll get the national folks more involved.
                                They have been very good getting word out here, Wyoming , about lost access. It very much makes a difference when hundreds of emails and calls are put forth to your elected representatives and TPW officials. Our G&F commission and elected representatives readily acknowledge the emails and contacts make a difference in their decisions.
                                No group is perfect but they are a loud voice on access issues up here .

Comment

Working...
                                X