Easter Turkey Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easter Turkey Season

This may have been discussed on one of the turkey threads but I didn't see it. Looks like the season for Eastern's got moved back to April 22 - May 14. Looks like we are losing a week of the season if memory serves. Are Eastern's doing pretty poor in the state? I assume that would be the reasoning.

Not sure how to edit the thread title, but meant Eastern Turkey Season.

Comment

I wish they would have taken the week off the BACK of the season! They are trying to make it as difficult as possible seems like. I would imagine it has something to do with the state wanting as many hens nesting as possible before any birds are removed or pressured.

Comment

TPWD has spit the bit on this. The date they backed it up from was too late. That date was backed up several years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
          I wish they would have taken the week off the BACK of the season! They are trying to make it as difficult as possible seems like. I would imagine it has something to do with the state wanting as many hens nesting as possible before any birds are removed or pressured.
          Sure it does. But they should focus more on habitat, controlled burns, etc instead of making it impossible to kill an Eastern turkey. The season is over before it starts lol.

Comment

Gentlemen allow me give some important info on the season change.
            1st my name is Norm Wade Texas state board NWTF.
            We along with TPWD decided to move season back 1 week as we have done super stocking for Eastern Turkey in area that will greatly enhance the overall Turkey and allow them to breed/expand for YOUR kids and grandchildren to enjoy, just as you are now.
            So don't be upset that season pushes back week. This allows the hens to get breed sooner and get on nests. The Tom's would still be looking to breed and readied some ro calls. So enjoy season and good luck

Norm
            Texas state board NWTF

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
              Sure it does. But they should focus more on habitat, controlled burns, etc instead of making it impossible to kill an Eastern turkey. The season is over before it starts lol.
              It is hard for the state to do habitat work on private land.

Comment

And they should remove Grayson county from the “Eastern” season and put them in with the 1 bird limit Rio seasons starting April 1st! The biggest majority of turkeys in Grayson county are Rios...period!

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                  It is hard for the state to do habitat work on private land.
                  There is a ton of public land in Eastern counties. If you think that they are going to 'boom' the population with the help of private land owners, then you have had the wool pulled over your eyes IMO.

Comment

And they should remove Grayson county from the “Eastern” season and put them in with the 1 bird limit Rio seasons starting April 1st! The biggest majority of turkeys in Grayson county are Rios...period!
                    Completely agree!!!

Comment

Norm, thanks for the insight. I would love to hear more about the super stocking program. Where in the state turkeys are thriving, having a hard time, etc...

Also, do you know of any NWTF chapters in the north TX area? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tiberiuswade View Post
                        We along with TPWD decided to move season back 1 week as we have done super stocking for Eastern Turkey in area that will greatly enhance the overall Turkey and allow them to breed/expand for YOUR kids and grandchildren to enjoy, just as you are now.
                        So don't be upset that season pushes back week. This allows the hens to get breed sooner and get on nests. The Tom's would still be looking to breed and readied some ro calls. So enjoy season and good luck

Norm
                        Texas state board NWTF

Can you tell us/me where super stockings were this year?

Comment

yup

Comment

Originally posted by tiberiuswade View Post

Norm
                            Texas state board NWTF

So the counties where the eastern population has been stable or increased since eastern season opened back up years ago gets penalized. And then the biologists get all concerned why the harvest has dropped dramatically in those counties and think there is something wrong with the population in those areas because historical harvest isn't there now. Once the season was originally moved to the 15th it basically ended the season for me. Birds non responsive and done breeding and toms and jakes back in their respective flocks. This broad brushed approach has been very dissapointing to see over the years but doesn't surprise me.

Comment

March 15 last year fannin county
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X