Colorado’s new points fee changes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    We all pay federal taxes to support federal land in those states. The residents there vote for the state politicians that give special treatment to the residents in access to permits, cost, etc.... We don't get a vote, so we get less and less access for hunting while paying more and more. A big reason I am in favor of the federal government transferring a good bit of public land to the states. If the states and their residents get to run it, then they should get to pay for it too.

Look at the states like Texas with 3% public land. We do not want state control over public land. That would be horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
      Look at the states like Texas with 3% public land. We do not want state control over public land. That would be horrible.

It doesn't take me 20 years to get to hunt in Texas though.

Comment

I agree. I was extremely worried with the changes last year. I think this increase will help the non resident draw odds so much. Between this change and the fact I apply for archery sheep I am hopeful over the next 20 years

I agree. Last year really ticked me off. A division of wildlife employee told me that when you had to front the money for the sheep and goat, on average they had 2500 people sending in each year. Last year, I believe they had 19,000 send in. No telling how many more people sent in for Everything else as well.

Comment

We all pay federal taxes to support federal land in those states. The residents there vote for the state politicians that give special treatment to the residents in access to permits, cost, etc.... We don't get a vote, so we get less and less access for hunting while paying more and more. A big reason I am in favor of the federal government transferring a good bit of public land to the states. If the states and their residents get to run it, then they should get to pay for it too.
          Shane, I would agree if they guaranteed that it would remain public. Unfortunately, many of these states would turn around and sell them. Plus don't forget that while most states would do a better job of regulating them, some would not. Just look at TPWD's proposals for gator gar.

Comment

It doesn't take me 20 years to get to hunt in Texas though.

But it cost you a private land lease because there is no public. When states have to pay for land they sell land to cover cost. That is no bueno. We want to keep our public land

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
              Shane, I would agree if they guaranteed that it would remain public. Unfortunately, many of these states would turn around and sell them. Plus don't forget that while most states would do a better job of regulating them, some would not. Just look at TPWD's proposals for gator gar.
              If they sold the land, then maybe I could lease some of it and get to hunt there finally - like I do in Texas. Probably cheaper than 20+ years of fees trying to draw.

Comment

If they sold the land, then maybe I could lease some of it and get to hunt there finally - like I do in Texas. Probably cheaper than 20+ years of fees trying to draw.

I don’t think you should be one complaining about draws. You drew a desert tag in Texas. Move along [emoji23]

Comment

I don’t think you should be one complaining about draws. You drew a desert tag in Texas. Move along [emoji23]

You know, I think I used up all my luck on that draw. Haven't drawn much since.

Comment

It's our land, but the state's resource we are hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
                      It's our land, but the state's resource we are hunting.
                      So we get to pay the bill while somebody else hunts the resource. I love that part.

Comment

You can hunt every year for elk otc, all units in Colorado have big elk.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Last year was disturbing, it only contributed to more point creep for drawing a tag. The old system of paying full tag fee and then getting a refund if not drawn is better than what is now for drawing a tag. It is my understanding that the small game license fee is refunded if you dont draw a tag. I'll re-read and check. $27 to apply for 3 species pretty cheap, point creep will soar.

Comment

Originally posted by scoutman View Post
                            Last year was disturbing, it only contributed to more point creep for drawing a tag. The old system of paying full tag fee and then getting a refund if not drawn is better than what is now for drawing a tag. It is my understanding that the small game license fee is refunded if you dont draw a tag. I'll re-read and check. $27 to apply for 3 species pretty cheap, point creep will soar.

No sir. You don’t get a refund for the small game license.

Comment

So we get to pay the bill while somebody else hunts the resource. I love that part.
                              Even a thread about hunting is getting turned into something else. I am sorry...

But to the above, you can hunt the resource at whatever prices are set for non-residents, OR - use the land for free to fish (cheap not free), camp, run, hike, stargaze, bird watch, photography, etc, etc, etc.....

I wish I could pay resident fees, but as said above, I don't deal with any state issues/taxes where the majority of our federal lands are located. You're a finance guy, I'm sure if you ran the numbers you'd see we still come out way ahead as non-residents.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                                No sir. You don’t get a refund for the small game license.
                                Well, I can shoot grouse, etc, now. Cheapest western state to hunt I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X