Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 02-25-2018, 07:37 AM   #1
Neohighlander
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere
Default Takedown Arrows - 2 or 3 piece?

So Im wanting to make some takedown arrows for emergency purposes. Ive seen 2 and 3 piece takedown arrows. 2 seems easier...but longer pieces for transport. 3 are easier to transport, but to me seem less stable (due to the 2 joints). My question is: which is better/worse for arrow flight? Some people have mentioned 3 piece takedown arrows retain the FOC better...but Id like some hard evidence/experience to back it up. Ill be shooting a 40 lb longbow.
Neohighlander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 06:40 AM   #2
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Your going to build an arrow so incapable of accuracy that foc isn't even an equation to throw in the discussion

I wouldn't build or shoot one,.... but few joints the better..... but this is novelty at best so build whatever fits in "the bag"
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 07:42 PM   #3
Neohighlander
Eight Point

Yeah, Im not going to be using them for everyday purposes, just to have at the ready for portability should I need it, but Id still want them to be as accurate as possible in a hunting scenario, especially for smaller game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Neohighlander
Eight Point

If theyre completely useless, or completely inaccurate, why are they sold as takedown arrows?

Old 02-27-2018, 05:30 AM   #5
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neohighlander View Post
If theyre completely useless, or completely inaccurate, why are they sold as takedown arrows?

There are 100000000000 useless items that sell. By the time you put a broadhead on an arrow with 2-3 different spines with a straight tolerance of .... a bunch. You will have sub 10 yard at best with safety issues as well.

A crown royal bag full of rocks would honestly be better if this is a "survival situation "
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Build a few and shoot them. That is the only way to find out. Just like building a good arrow for a typical set up.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #7
Rat
Ten Point

What are you packing them in that they need to be so short? My 28 inch arrows carry fine on my pack or in a tube for truck conveyance.

But get some of each and see what they do; I doubt you will get an answer to this on this site, or any real bowhunting site for that matter. As survival site may be a better place to get this information.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
There are 100000000000 useless items that sell. By the time you put a broadhead on an arrow with 2-3 different spines with a straight tolerance of .... a bunch. You will have sub 10 yard at best with safety issues as well.

A crown royal bag full of rocks would honestly be better if this is a "survival situation "
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top