Eagle and the Grasshopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eagle and the Grasshopper

"Grasshopper." Yep that would be me, feeling like "grasshopper," like a youngster (newbie), learning the ways of the bow that does not know how to miss.

I found my way to Mike Javi Cooper's Saturday morning for my first lesson. I was determined to go there as a blank sheet of paper, to be taught, and to learn. There were few questions from me as I was soaking up the lesson. There were quite a few simple, but effective demonstrations by Mike on how the individual components of shooting come together. At this point, I was willing to try what was taught and requested of me. I had started shooting Eagle, my new bow, three under but I went ahead and tried split finger, finding it not so hard to shoot. That decision was left totally up to me. I thought, "What the heck, I'm in class and I'm just starting, why not try it and explore split finger."

Sometimes it takes some scratching of the surface to make an impression on me. Of course it wasn't Mike's fault, but there were three things that were the hardest for me to grasp: (1) Standing and addressing the target while "feeling" what "proper alignment" feels like. Mike demonstrated several ways to show me and help me "feel" the proper and not-so-proper alignment. Along with that, there were some demonstrations on gripping the bow (postitioning my hand) and how to "feel" the bow's grip. Again, all this contributing to proper alignment. (2) After that came drawing the bow in such a way that it automatically produced back tension. Back tension, I learned is no mystery and it can be "felt" once the archer's body is in alignment and he/she executes the draw correctly. (3) Finding the center of the center of the center of the target has never been the easiest thing for me. But it makes sense. All of us know it as "aim small, miss small." Only in this case, it's "aim very, very small and miss very, very small." The brain will take care of putting the arrow where it should be.

I am extremely happy with my lesson and Mike's instruction. I certainly got more than my money's worth and my time with Mike. To me, it was worth every dime. I would do it again and plan to go again after I practice what has been given to me. Oh, I feel the blindfold/eyes closed and the three foot drill coming soon.

Although I am certain that there are quite a few very competent archers on the GS who could and would teach well, based on my experiences, I would recommend Mike to anyone who is willing to be a clean slate and be taught. Mike is very patient and especially for newbies willing to learn, he will be able to teach you well. I enjoyed the lesson very much.

P.S. Don't let Mike let you shoot his 66 inch Sarrels longbow and his custom wood arrows. The bow is a sweet shooter and the arrows will bury themselves about halfway into the target. I was very impressed. I want one now. Take care, ya'll. God bless.

I have read everything Javi has written about shooting on the GS and I have to say I agree with all of it. He knows his stuff.

Comment

I made that same trip last September and came away shooting much better. A lot of those old bad habits have slipped back in and I might have to pay Mike another visit. I agree, it's time well spent.

Comment

Cool deal, it sounds sounds like you walked away with some great instruction.

Comment

What area of Texas is Mike located at?

Comment

Originally posted by stingebow View Post
            What area of Texas is Mike located at?
            Waco

Comment

Originally posted by fletcherfor2 View Post
              Waco
              Thank you

Comment

Thanks Bill, I enjoyed the visit and look forward to another soon.. You did very well and sponge may be a better description than grasshopper because you certainly seemed to absorb the information quickly.

Keep practicing the motion and feel of the draw and you'll have back tension down in no time, remember to feel the alignment as you rotate to full draw.. Also remember the release is not turning loose or letting go but rather you relax and stop holding, allowing the string pull from your fingers while you continue to pull through...

Comment

That's good to hear! Sounds like something that I am in dire need of...

Comment

I had an appointment with Mike for the following day, but I cancelled due to a hunt that came up last minute. I will reschedule and make that trip once we can find a day that works for both of us (I have a screwed up work schedule).

Comment

I was sure your lesson with Mike would be helpful. I have spent quite a bit of time hangin out with Mike here at the bow shop and the man knows what he is talking about. Glad you enjoyed your tutalidge.

Comment

Glad you had a great session. Something about the way Mike teaches, you'll remember everything he said and changed for months, and if you forget....just give him a call or send him a video. Top notch man and instructor.

Comment

Hey all ... I am so fortunate to have so many "screen friends" and to receive so much great advice and encouragement. I look forward to the next Bownanza to some future shoots to make the friendships permanent. To be sure, my practice sessions have taken on a new meaning and a life of their own. I enjoy them truly more than before. As I stated earlier, I see a blindfold in my shooting sessions very soon.

Right now I am concentrating on feeling the "alignment" and rotating through the draw to the 'stopping point" at my anchors. It feels right. Eagle is eager to release its talons. Patience my sweet.

May God bless you all ... and may God bless America.

Comment

Working...
                          X