Critique my form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critique my form

Here's my background. I have been shooting a few weeks now. At this time I don't know anybody else locally that is a Trad Vet that can give me some pointers. I am going to attempt to post a few video's so that maybe some of you seasoned Vets can point out some typically beginner mistakes in my form. Don't hold back lay it on me I really want to get better. Sorry for the low light in the video but I found a opportunity for my wife to video when the kids went to sleep and ran with it. But I think it should be good enough for you guys to see enough of what I'm doing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAy7VZyr_eI&feature=plcp"]Form video 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Yet another.
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I'm no expert, but your thumb should not be sticking up...that creates tension in your hand. it should be down...I use my thumb as another anchor point and my back knuckle rests at my jaw bone. Also try and draw with your back muscles. your elbow should not be going up as you draw. it shoud stay level. try pulling your shoulder blades together. as you make the shot keep that back tension (trying to touch your shoulder blades) and the string will slip from your fingers.

I try to have three anchors...the tip of my nose on the cock feather, thumb knuckle on jaw bone, and middle finger in the corner of my mouth. If I hit all those and have a bad shot then I have a good idea that it was a bad release.

What's your poundage on that bow at your draw length. I like to hold a one or two count to get some sort of idea of why my arrows are hitting in a certain part of the target. It's like shooting guns and calling your shots...you get to where and why the arrow hit out of your group based on something in your form.

How are you grouping?

Again, I am new as well and have been lucky to shoot with some good trad archers to pick apart my form.
        Last edited by tomcfc11; 06-29-2012, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Hey Tom. Thanks a lot for all the pointers like I stated before I am a beginner here I need all the help I can get. I am grouping really good out to 15 yards. I do have the occasional flyer but they all seem to stay within the kill zone. But at 18 to 20 yards (Which I don't plan on taking a shot on a animal past 15 yards) the groups seem to vary. The bow is a 50# @28". I searched online for how to measure draw length and it said to stretch my arms out and measure from middle finger to middle finger then divide that number by 2.5 and that was your draw length. Is this correct? Mine came out to 30"

Comment

That's really good shooting then. What you can do is draw your bow with an arrow, hit all your anchors and have your wife grab the arrow at the front of the riser and pluck the arrow off the string. Then you measure from the throat of the nock to where she grabs the arrow. I like to do this 2-3 times to make sure it is the same every time. Just make sure she trusts you! lol most important part is to not over draw if the first measurement comes out to 28 or something. Just hit your anchors that you are doing when you are smoking good groups at 15 yards.

Comment

My focus for tonight while practicing was a smooth draw. It really seemed to help shrink my groups a lot. I know my draw is still not smooth by no means but it is a lot better than it previously was.

Comment

Just to clarify. When I say all kill zone shots at 15 yards with the occasional flyer this is what I mean. Kind of a dark night photo but I think u can see it good enough
                Attached Files

Comment

Alright Tom. I have a nice flood light in my back yard and because I am obsessive at 1:30 in the morning here are a few things I noticed.

1. I tucked my thumb down and it helped me out by not getting in my way. In the past it has been known to rub against my glasses and causes trouble. I still need to work on getting my thumb knuckle to a consistent anchcor spot.

2. I tried to draw back and keep my elbow more level. This actually helped me a little with sight picture. I seemed to have a better view of target when doing this.

3. This was the tough one. I tried to use my back muscles a little more when drawing. My groups started going High. My first shot out the gate was into my fence and I had to ditch my arrow because it failed the flex test afterwards. After a few more shots and focus on this they grouped pretty nice but just a little high. Do you think maybe when focusing on using back tension I was maybe drawing back a little further than before?

Thanks for the tips I am going to work on these things a little more and try to post another video in maybe 3 days or so and hopefully you guys can see a little bit of progress. I welcome all other comments guys let me know what I can do to get better. Any practice drills that seem to help?

Comment

Check out Ryan's YouTube videos. May help out some.

Comment

You look like you are trying kinda of hard, be relaxed, practice with one arrow. Shoot 1 arrow- go get it and keep doing that. It will help you think about your shot. Another thing stare at your point of aim for a few minutes before picking up your bow, just stare at it. You look like you are trying hard not to pluck the string,( the back muscle thing). It should feel like you are trying to hold a pencil between your shoulder blades, and when you shoot your shoulder blades should feel like they are squeezing that pencil harder. I use to shoot a bunch of arrows too, but that doesn't focus you. Its really developing the lazer sighting in your eyes.

Comment

the only thing that I would add is that you need to have atleast your pointer finger on you bow hand around the handle before you shoot. You are gripping the bow as you are shooting which can lead to torquing. If you just bring that finger around when you grip the bow the hand movement won't be there.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcfc11 View Post
                          That's really good shooting then. What you can do is draw your bow with an arrow, hit all your anchors and have your wife grab the arrow at the front of the riser and pluck the arrow off the string. Then you measure from the throat of the nock to where she grabs the arrow. I like to do this 2-3 times to make sure it is the same every time. Just make sure she trusts you! lol most important part is to not over draw if the first measurement comes out to 28 or something. Just hit your anchors that you are doing when you are smoking good groups at 15 yards.
                          I did this 3 times and my last 2 came out the same at 29 1/2" draw length.

Comment

Thanks Chrism. All these things make complete sense. Now I just need to incorporate them into my shooting. Thanks guys for the help. It's gonna be better to break these bad habits now instead of later.

Comment

Looks like your elbow is high on your draw arm. Should be straight back and not up or down for good form.

Comment

Working...
                              X