kieth johns outdoors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kieth johns outdoors?

What does everyone think of kjo? Me and 4 of my friends went down this weekend for his bachelor party so he could get his first kill and 2 of the guys came away with nothing, we had all paid for a ram an axis doe and hogs. I shot 3 pigs and 2 guys got a ram but it really felt like we were being rushed out for a larger more expensive party coming in. I understand we went during a bad moon phase and everything was green but he had us on about a 60 acre piece the whole time within probably 100 yards of each other and wouldnt let us move around. We had seen TONS of ram from the pick up but wouldnt even stop to let us try to put a stalk on one. At one point only me and one other guy had shot at anything but everyone had seen tons of blackbuc and a few of the guys asked if they could switch to just hunting a blackbuc and pay the difference and he wouldnt even let them do that. He said he would have to charge them an additional $500 for it ontop of the $450. Idk the whole trip really seemed like he didnt want us to shoot anything so his big group would have more animals to shoot at in the good stands. Idk i guess im just interested to see if anyone else has had an experience like this?

Being rushed out for a larger more expensive group? Keith hunts EVERY group the same. I highly doubt he was trying to get rid of you other than he had another group coming in. He makes no bones about it that the ranch gets hunted almost daily. So if you seemed rushed, it was nothing more than others coming in.

Hunting a 60 acre section? Never had it happen. Unless someone does not want to give up their stand, we have always moved around.

Spot and stalk RARELY works out there due to the fact it gets hunted.

And if you payed for a package, why would he not want to make up for the cost of adding an animal to that package?

You are sadly mistaken about him not wanting you to shoot anything. I have never seen an outfitter get more excited about a hunter shooting something. Sometimes more excited than the hunter.

Every stand on that place is a GOOD stand. BUT, the animals are smart. You better bring your A game to KJO.

Funny that when I talked to him everyone seemed to be having a great time and were killing animals.

I have been hunting there for about 6 years and never had this experience with Keith or anyone who has ever worked for him.
    Last edited by DrenalinJunkie; 04-09-2012, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Nothing but good things to say about Keith's operation.. and I didn't kill anything either but was not unhappy about it..

Comment

I have never been to KJO, but I would like too. I have noticed he gets a little better feedback on this forum, then some other similar hunting websites. Not sure why.

Comment

Doesn't sound like the Keith I've felt with. He's always shot us straight. You better plan on hunting when you go to KJO. I've been twice and have rebooked for next February already.

Comment

Im not nessessarily unhappy with our hunt, hell i got 3 pigs all the first night and my buddy shot his ram the first night. He told us straight up it was gonna be hard hunting with the axis does being very smart to the stands and barking on everyone they made out. But they picked us up an hour early our last day there from the stands. I feel unsatisfied. But ive never hunted a day lease before so im still new to all this. My post was not either run down or praise the weekend but to say what happened and to see if this is typical of what the hunts are like. I just felt like there was more to be done for the guys who had never had a bow kill or of anykind to get them on some animals. And the rams.. u could stalk with a bell around your neck. We threw rocks at them yelled and they could care less. Now i can say one did miss a ram from a tree stand, he said he was told it was a 25 yard shot. I hunted the same stand the first evening and thats where i killed my pigs. It was a 17yrd shot with the small window because its sooo green. Now to me that sounded abit more like an excuse and he probably never asked. Idk i just found my self left wanting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
              Nothing but good things to say about Keith's operation.. and I didn't kill anything either but was not unhappy about it..
              This right here. I've been twice and killed one hog. I had a great time on both trips and Keith busted his butt trying to put people on the animals, under very tough circumstances. The animals are there, but he can't make them come to a corn feeder when everything growing on the place, is green and lush. That's hunting........

Comment

Isn't this a post from one of your buddies on the trip.

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                UPDATE!
                You guys werent lying when yall said no phone service.. First and foremost.. we all had a blast. Got to floresville after a 6 hr drive and met with keith around 11:30.. keith got us in stands at 2:00. first sit i ended the life of a hog for the first time with my bow.. ian killed a giant catalina ram, cody killed 3 hogs, kc nailed 2 hogs but we were not able to recover either, doc wasnt able to get a shot off on anything sit 1. sit 2, i sat at the cul de sac stand.. feeder went off at 7, i smoked a black hawaiian at 703. everyone else wasnt as lucky this morning. sit 3, it was slooooww.. no kills. sit 4, kc missed a ram. between the missed shots, we had a total of 10 missed shots. totaled 2 rams and 4 hogs. keith and cooper were awesome hosts and waited on us hand and foot. i did find a new respect for coopers card playing skills, and i found out i love cactus wine. lodging was awesome.. this was def not a canned hunt.. this is a legit HUNT.. overall, we had a blast and will def go back. pictures will be attached soon.

edit:.. one of the best parts of the trip is 3 out of the 5 people who hunting got their first bow kills.
                So that's 6 hogs shot 4 found, 3 rams shot at 2 killed and 9 other missed shots for a total of 18 shots in two days and you say you feel like Keith didn't want you to kill anything. That just doesn't add up in my book or Keith is very bad at keeping people from killing animals when he wants. Also, what time did he pick you up from your stand the last day, is it possible he picked you up early because you guys still had some animals to clean before you left and He needed you to get them clean and out of there before the next group arrived. Also remember that they have to clean up the place some before the next group arrives so this is why you might have felt rushed. I have been to Keith's several times and have never felt rushed other than when I had animals to quarter on the last day and he needed me to get them done and leave before the next group arrived but I can understand why.

I just find it funny to read ones guys post about KJO and it sounds like his group had a great time and then read your post and it sounds quite a bit different only to find out your both in the same group.

Now it sucks that none of you got your Axis doe but that's hunting and maybe one of those 10 missed shots was at a Axis doe but I don't know.

Comment

Lol yeah he was def in my group and what he posted and what he said were not the same things. But like i said this post wasnt to run down or celebrate anything i posted how our trip went and how we felt as a group when we left and all i wanted to know was if this was normal as none of us had ever been to a day lease. As for all the missed shots idk i can only account for 1 of those on tricky little pig who wouldnt hold still.

Comment

Wow, this has gotten to the point of middle school girls drama. "Someone" called kieth and told him i was talking **** about him and his lease.. haha this is so dumb its funny

Comment

I've been there once. Took my son on the exotic package. He just missed a wall hanger hog with about 3-4" cutters the first knight. But saw a Sika and some axis just out of range. Keith said he had a nice axis coming to a different feeder he thought we could get a shot at. The buck was all ready at the feeder as he dropped us off and he was a hoss. We sat there and saw black buck does and the bigger axis kept skirting the blind to far for my son to shoot, he knew we were there. Any way on the last day we moved again and he was able to get a nice ram. He enjoyed it and I did too. Keith even offered another day free so he could have one more try at the axis but my son was just as happy with the opportunities he had. IMO Keith worked his tail off to give my son a successful hunt and I am planning on a trip there for my wife and I soon.

Comment

Originally posted by codyw2006 View Post
                        Wow, this has gotten to the point of middle school girls drama. "Someone" called kieth and told him i was talking **** about him and his lease.. haha this is so dumb its funny
                        Well......you are certainly talking about him and his operation, so who's acting like a drama queen? Hmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by codyw2006 View Post
                          Don't let it get to ya, but at least yall did get some kills. From what I have read here its usually "Keith is a great host but we didn't get anything" which is fine if everyone had a good time. On other sights it gets a lot more negative about the place then on here. I tried to go a year or so ago and called several times and left messages and never got a call back.

Comment

Originally posted by fishycatfish View Post
                            Don't let it get to ya, but at least yall did get some kills. From what I have read here its usually "Keith is a great host but we didn't get anything" which is fine if everyone had a good time. On other sights it gets a lot more negative about the place then on here. I tried to go a year or so ago and called several times and left messages and never got a call back.
                            X2.

I was going to book a hunt about a year ago and I called literally 10-15 times in a week and left probably 5 or more voicemails because I was VERY interested. I never got a SINGLE call back, however I was lucky enough to finally reach him. We talked for a minute, he seemed like a good guy. He said he didn't have his calendar on him and would have to call me back with a list of availabilities. Needless to say I never got a call back.

In all I guess I am actually happy that I never received a return call because since then I have found several other quality, yet affordable ranches to hunt on. Not to mention the lack of animals being harvested from hunters out there that post on here through semi-live hunts. I do know that there are 2 sides to every story though and like I said, Keith did sound like a nice guy, but I am glad I took my business elsewhere.

Comment

Keith and Cooper are great guys, we couldnt have asked for better hosts! I posted a simple question and explained our experience as is. I didnt butter it up or make it sound worse than it was. Keith isnt a god as some people on here seem to believe. Its fantastic they have a great time there and feel their money is well spent. I did have fun, but like i said i felt there was something lacking. Whether someone agrees or disagrees with what i said makes no difference to me. Will i go back? Probably not, between him probably not wanting us after the call someone made saying i was running his business down and us feeling we can find a better hunt i just dont see it happening.

Comment

Working...
                              X