Should I cut the clover or wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
    If I thought I could catch a rain, I think I would mow it now. Probably getting pretty tough, but there's not much of a chance of rain for several days. I'm always scared to mow if there's a chance of heat and no rain. Looks like your mix is coming in pretty good.

Thanks My thoughts too, just don't see any rain in the forecast. Hopefully some comes before it gets much hotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Update on this clover plot planted last fall. It grew really tall this spring with a thick stem, it got crispy in June and fell over/got trampled down

New growth starting to come up now between the old stalks looks good.

Comment

I'm liking the looks of this. Going to plant a 3 clover blend the weekend after opening weekend.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

You spent more on the clover seed than you did your feeder!

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
              You spent more on the clover seed than you did your feeder!
              You got that right. Gotta have priorities. I probably spend more money on seed and fertilizer than corn and protein (which isn't much). I have a low deer population and no hogs.

Comment

I love what you are doing. I saw a man taking his son out and spending time with him teaching him how to do things the way they have always been done. Those are the memories that last forever. Cherish these days. They go by so quick. My son is 4 so I’ve got some teaching to do thanks for reminding me.

Comment

The red clover that reseeded from last year and white clover planted this fall is growing well so I mowed it before it gets too tall and woody. It seems awful early to cut in March but hoping to eliminate some of the weed competition without needing to spray.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                    You got that right. Gotta have priorities. I probably spend more money on seed and fertilizer than corn and protein (which isn't much). I have a low deer population and no hogs.
                    Low deer density was my first thought when your picture showed the height on that clover. Mine would never get that tall except in a cage. That last picture shows that your plan is working and you did good to mow it. It's always more attractive when it's tender. Good looking plot !

Is that the edge of a Rhino cutter I see ?

Comment

Low deer density was my first thought when your picture showed the height on that clover. Mine would never get that tall except in a cage. That last picture shows that your plan is working and you did good to mow it. It's always more attractive when it's tender. Good looking plot !

Is that the edge of a Rhino cutter I see ?

Low deer density for sure, but they travel through. Yep 5ft rhino. Good eye

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                        The red clover that reseeded from last year and white clover planted this fall is growing well so I mowed it before it gets too tall and woody. It seems awful early to cut in March but hoping to eliminate some of the weed competition without needing to spray.

Is looking good again. From the post/pics on 9/20/18 of last fall, I'm assuming you cut it down then, after it browned? It came back on its own.?

Comment

I planted some medium red clover last fall as a test in one of my wheat plots. The wheat did really well and is just now starting to get more than a couple inches high as the deer are transitioning to native browse. I just looked at the clover yesterday and it's starting to come on. My intention is to not plant a spring/summer plot and just let the clover do its thing. I'll let my wheat go to seed, unless it shades out the clover too much, in which case I'll mow it down and let the clover grow. If it works as planned, I'll have no bare dirt from last September until however long our Texas heat lets the clover live. With luck, I might get the summer out of it, reducing my bare dirt period to just a couple weeks in September. Prep and planting time, fuel, etc. cut in half wouldn't make me mad !

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                            Is looking good again. From the post/pics on 9/20/18 of last fall, I'm assuming you cut it down then, after it browned? It came back on its own.?
                            It reseeded and came back on it's own this fall. I didn't cut when it was brown it just fell over.

I planted some medium red clover last fall as a test in one of my wheat plots. The wheat did really well and is just now starting to get more than a couple inches high as the deer are transitioning to native browse. I just looked at the clover yesterday and it's starting to come on. My intention is to not plant a spring/summer plot and just let the clover do its thing. I'll let my wheat go to seed, unless it shades out the clover too much, in which case I'll mow it down and let the clover grow. If it works as planned, I'll have no bare dirt from last September until however long our Texas heat lets the clover live. With luck, I might get the summer out of it, reducing my bare dirt period to just a couple weeks in September. Prep and planting time, fuel, etc. cut in half wouldn't make me mad !
                            Sounds like a good plan. I'm wondering if I can wait until late april/may when the wheat is taller and broadcast ic peas or some other spring mix into standing wheat and mow it for seed cover without discing. I know they should be deeper in the soil with such large seeds, but I'll probably try it and see what happens if I can time the rain just right.

Comment

You have a pic of your clover?
                              I planted crimson clover Sept 2018 and to this day it is not more than 2-3 inches high.
                              Even in my test cage it is the same height.

I'm just wondering if mine failed to launch or what

Mine is about an inch taller than what you see in this video

Last edited by texansfan; 03-26-2019, 04:39 AM.

Comment

I would not cut let it seed and maybe get a couple free crops come fall and winter..Few clovers make Tex summers

Comment

Working...
                                X