Double down on porkers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double down on porkers!

Doubled down on a couple good size sows Satruday morning. Had about a dozen good pigs come in with about 20 or 25 littles ones that weighed around 10 or 12 pounds. The biggest sow gave me the first shot standing right underneath the feeder surrounded by all the little ones. It was not real light, about 5 till 7, but I could see my pins, so I let one rip. I felt good on the shot and she just ran straight south from the feeder and out of sight without making any sound. The rest of the pigs scattered a little, but stayed around the feeder and then just came back to feed. One sow got really close between me and the feeder and since I already had another arrow nocked, when she turned, I let the second arrow fly. I have a video of this shot, but have no idea where it hit as I could not see the arrow, the video is a little grainy and dark as there was not much light. She squealed like a banshee and took off to the west. I could see her out in the tall grass and it looked like she went down about 40 yards, but I could not tell. I waited until about 8:15 and after the deer left to get out and look for the pigs. I went after the smaller sow and just walked down a trail towards where I last saw her looking for blood. I went about 30 yards and she stood up in the tall grass, and me being me, all I had was my bow, no arrow. I turned an went back to the feeder and picked up the arrow that passed thru the big sow and stuck the FOB back on (being cheap, I did not want to wast a second BH on this pig, thus the pick up) an walked back to the second sow. I finally got her to stand as I could not see her laying in the grass. She stood, but was covered in really thick grass and small mesquites bushes. I tried to fit an arrow thru, but I am not sure where I hit her. She turned and wobbled over to a bigger mesquite tree and fell against the trunk. I retrieved the arrow and stuck the FOB back on and walked back around to the rear of the sow. She looked dead laying against the base of the tree, but I was a little mistaken as when I put my boot on her butt and shoved her a little to see if she was dead, she stood and turned and immediately came after me. I backed up and stuck my bow down towards her head anad she tried to bite my top cam. #Do not try to stop a charging pig with your bow#. She stopped and turned sideways and I finally got a good open shot and put it in the boiler room. Not a large sow, about 100#'s (?), but a pig none the less. I took a couple of pics with just the sow and my bow and turned to look for the first sow I shot and that is when I saw the blood trail of the second sow. With the amount of blood she lost, I have no idea how she lived as long as she did. When I got a good look at her, she had 3 entrance and exit holes, one in the lungs, (third shot) and one a little lower in the forward lung area and one that went in her left ear hole and out her right ear hole. I have no idea which was the first or second. I believe that the first was the lower lung and a hard quartering shot, which may have caught only one lung and the second was thru the ear hole and was deflected by the grass and mesquites. Really do not know. I found the biggest and first shot sow about 30 yards south of the feeder with a perfect heart shot. Standing at the feeder, you could see her from the feeder. Both pigs were shot with the Ramcat broadhead and both, well actually all 4 shots were complete passthroughs. First shot on the big sow was about 20 yards and the second on the smaller sow was about 16 yards. I think this is the first time I have ever doubled on pigs while bowhunting and I probably could have killed a couple (I had five arrows total) more if the second sow had not squealed like a banshee when I hit her. The second sow I figured was around 200#'s (?). All in all a good morning. The rest of the weekend was uneventful as the wind, full moon and rising temps had the deer moving at night and not much was seen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0557.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	24832219

Sounds like a great time!

Congrats on the porker!

Comment

Congrats!

Bisch

Comment

Congrats on the pork chops!!! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Congrats on the pork Doug. Sounds like your weekend was about like ours.

Comment

Hopefully with this front blowing in thursday, deer movement will be better this weekend Austin. this weekend was the slowest I have seen all year.

Comment

Congrats on the double!

Comment

Working...
              X