Eco Boost or 5.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eco Boost or 5.0?

About to hop into another truck and wanted everybody’s opinion on the two. Heard great things about both.

When I did all my research before grabbing mine it was pretty even at 50/50 on opinions for going eco or 5.0.

I ended up going 5.0 and have been plenty satisifed. Imagine if I went eco I wouldn’t be feeling much different either.

Good luck on the new truck

Comment

Man, this should be a good thread!

Ecoboost- more fun to drive, possible better fuel economy if you can keep your foot out of it. Driving experience can take some time to get used too. Also more potential for problems.

5.0 - Rock solid, reliable, slightly less fuel economy, V8 rumble, less performance if you want to drive a truck like a hot rod.

My dad has had both in 4 door lariat. Prefers the EcoBoost because of better fuel economy and said it was more fun to drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the 5.0 in a 2017 crew cab. No complaints yet at 20k miles. Avg 18.5 mpg

Comment

Cant go wrong with either.

I have a 2012 3.5L Eco that I bought new in June 2012

135,000 miles and no issues so far

Comment

I bought a 2015 with 2.7 Eco back in March and I have to say.. it has been wonderful. It tows the bassboat like it was not there, towed my jeep wrangler on a trailer with ease, great mpg, etc. I don't think you will go wrong with either one.

Comment

I love my 3.5 ecoboost. 365 horses AND 420 torque! No problem pulling a decent trailer and gets up to speed quickly on the entrance ramps. I average 18 mpg with 33 inch all terrains. I was getting 20 with stock tires.
              Last edited by LlanoHunter10; 07-06-2018, 09:30 AM.

Comment

i have a 5.0 and like it just under 100,000 miles not a single problem and it dont sound like a rice burner

Comment

Happy eco boost owner here. Mpgs could be better but that may be a result of how fun the truck is to drive. I get 15-17 mixed city and highway at 75+.

My only complaint is a little shake/vibration at idle that multiple shops have told me is normal.

Comment

I have a 2011 F150 4x4 with the EcoBoost 3.5L V6 with 136,520 miles and average 18 - 19 mpg.
                    Love it, pulls my camper and trailer with ease.

Comment

I have a 2013 Eco boost with around 55K miles on it with no issues. Not impressed with the mpg but that's not why I bought it. Average around 14.5 mpg. I do have a 6.5' bed, 4x4 with the max gears and max tow package though. Also have leveling springs on the front, brush guard, plus bigger than stock tires. Love the truck.
                      Last edited by 44mAG; 07-06-2018, 09:25 AM.

Comment

I saw the same mileage as 44mAG, about 14.5 mpg in my 2014 EcoBoost. Was a fun truck to drive though, it was fast. I hear the new ones are way better on fuel economy.

Comment

I just bought a 2018 3.5 and it has been great. 21mpg on the highway and tons of power.

My only suggestion would be to stay away from the older EB models that didn't have the new dual fuel injection setup. When I was researching, there were many reports of issues with carbon building up on the valves causing issues. That being said, it's not guaranteed to be a problem.

Comment

I vote Eco, especially if you tow a lot.

Comment

5.0 all the way. I have a 2013 with 165,000 with only a few minor issues that have been addressed on the newer models. 5.0 is solid with 15-18 mpg with a leveling kit, extra leave springs on the back, 285 tires and replacement bumpers on front and back. My opinion is the eco boost has too many bells and whistles and not designed for any modifications

Comment

Working...
                              X