No announcement yet.

Herniated Disc- Back Pain Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm having microdiscectomy surgery next Wednesday for a herniated disc (L5). The sciatica pain in my right leg was to the point where I could no longer function even doing simple daily tasks. I tried PT and chiropractic treatments also but really saw no improvement from either. I have had the steroid injections and that did last for just over 4 years. As stated above, you'll know when to make the decision to see a neurosurgeon and will know when it's time to ask for the surgery. It's the last thing I wanted to do but I can't tell you how much I'm ready to get the surgery done so I can get back to normal life again. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Comment

Inversion table is the only thing that has helped me.

Comment

I'm 43 and having injections THIS Thursday morning. Have always had back problems from horses, snowboarding, wakeboarding, and riding tractors all my life. Last 6 months or so the numbness in my toes and pain in my right heel has been unbearable. Dr gave me some steroid pack that lasted about 3 days. Still hurting, so it's injections this Thursday.

Comment

Pain management is a waste of time. PM is what it is, manage the pain with continous injections. Elected not to do that and had surgery. Somewhat better, but that darn nerve has moved into the hip/leg. But, I can still do some enjoyable activities. Good luck to all.

Comment

I just deal with it / ignore it

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
              I just deal with it / ignore it
              Thanks for the help...

Comment

Get a X-ray standing up without your shoes. Determine which leg is longer and put a shim in your boot on the side with the shorter leg. It's a no brainer but you need to keep your spine as straight as possible.

Comment

Just left recovery. Aside from the incision point I feel better already. ZERO sciatic pain, strength has improved and numbness is gone

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    Just left recovery. Aside from the incision point I feel better already. ZERO sciatic pain, strength has improved and numbness is gone
                    Glad to hear you're doing better!

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderNation45 View Post
                      Looking for some feedback and any help from the green screen to reduce back pain and help with a herniated disc. An old baseball injury has caused serious inflammation and major back pain on a regularly basis over the last 6 months. Unfortunately, it's getting worse and the end game will probably be back surgery. I'm in my early 30's and it is beginning to affect my every day life and being able to do tbings with my kids. I stretch and see a chiro regularly, but neither is relieving the pain or improving it. Has anyone found any natural remedies to help? Decompression procedures? Anything...

I'm trying to prevent any sort of surgery and improve my mobility/range of motion. Any and feedback is much appreciated.

Oh, and I live in Spring for anyone that might have a local resource.
                      Raider,
                      Which chiro are you seeing in spring?

As a fellow green screener I'll offer up a free consultation to you for my office. If you have an x-rays or MRI's bring them and I'll go over them with you at no cost. I own a chiropractic and acupuncture office in Magnolia. I have digital x-ray suite in my office, decompression, multiple physical therapy equipment options. If I don't think I can help I can at least point you in the right direction; I've worked in offices in The Woodlands, Spring and Magnolia for the last 8 years so I know the area and the doctors very well. From my experience at your age I would do everything possible to avoid back surgery unless its your absolute last option.

Best of luck bubba, let me know if I can help in anyway.

Comment

Had that surgery 2 years ago and I'm a new man. It takes the doctor about 30minutes to do the procedure.

I had herniated my disc 15 years ago and tried everything to get it corrected. It would always come back to haunt me. This surgery saved me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                          If this is true, explain to me how I can sit here with a herniated disc, 2 bulging discs with no surgery and no pain, only physical therapy, weight loss and strengthening my core?
                          Lots of opinions, but I do not want someone cutting on me when they cannot tell me for 100% truth that they can alleviate the pain.

Sorry but I disagree.
                          Like everything else in life, it's situational. In your 30's, you shouldn't be dealing with any severe type of degenerative conditions; given there is no congenital abnormalities. What's the state of that herniation? How many mm's in size and what direction? Is the thecal sac effaced? Is the spinal cord or nerve roots effected? Is the disc contained, fragmented, are there any tears in the annular fibers. All of these play a very significant role in determination of next step. Ted's liver may have been a degenerated joint and disc with a fully extruded disc where as mudslinger's disc may have been contained. Both however, could've been described as a herniated disc.

Comment

Originally posted by Stros View Post
                            Had that surgery 2 years ago and I'm a new man. It takes the doctor about 30minutes to do the procedure.

I had herniated my disc 15 years ago and tried everything to get it corrected. It would always come back to haunt me. This surgery saved me.
                            Both the doctor and the anesthesia guy said I was the healthiest spine patient they'd seen. Doctor showed my wife the part he removed. She said it was about 1 1/2 long (she's not fibbing about this measurement) and he claimed one of the largest he's taken out.

Time will tell

Comment

Both the doctor and the anesthesia guy said I was the healthiest spine patient they'd seen. Doctor showed my wife the part he removed. She said it was about 1 1/2 long (she's not fibbing about this measurement) and he claimed one of the largest he's taken out.

Time will tell
                              Quacker, What was 1.5" long in your spine? Was that an extruded piece of disc? That's freaky huge for that area.

Comment

Time will tell
                                Haha I had my doctor take a picture of the part taken out. I wanted to see what was screwing up my life for so long? I will see if I can find it.

Comment

Working...
                                X