No announcement yet.

My Harley was repossessed by mistake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a mess, these are the things that keep you up at night wondering how someone can just get away w something like this.

I don't understand why the police wont get involved, was the bike not stolen? Or was it because it was returned? But if that was the case I could take someone's car for a joy ride, return it and there be no consequences. Maybe an officer can shed some light on why they cant be arrested for theft? I am really curious about that.

I do agree that you should at least call your insurance carrier and talk to them, see what they say. Based on that you can decide if handling yourself or them handling is a better road.

I would also file a complaint with the wrecker licensing agency at the link above.

I know if it was me, I would want the repo placed to step up and do what is right. And if they didn't, I would want them to suffer some consequences. But I would not want to go too deep in the hole myself to do it. Crappy deal.

Comment

It's sometimes more about principle than money. In this case, if it were me, the wrecker company would be paying. Trust me, they would be paying, one way or another. I'm a very vengeful person when it comes to getting what's owed in cases like this.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
        It's sometimes more about principle than money. In this case, if it were me, the wrecker company would be paying. Trust me, they would be paying, one way or another. I'm a very vengeful person when it comes to getting what's owed in cases like this.

Note to self: don’t cross Puggy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I can give references for verification if needed. Lol
          Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
          Note to self: don’t cross Puggy

Comment

I can give references for verification if needed. Lol

Lol. Nah.

Comment

Originally posted by TxKronik View Post
              Now that you have all the info from the police report you can bypass the PD if you want and go to the county or district court and file your own charges on the company and driver for theft of a motor vehicle.

A lot of people don't know you don't need the police to file criminal charges its called filing information.

"An information is a formal criminal charge which begins a criminal proceeding in the courts. The information is one of the oldest common law pleadings (first appearing around the 13th century), and is nearly as old as the better-known indictment, with which it has always coexisted."

Sounds to me like these people need to learn there is a difference between a mistake and theft and it also sounds like the PD is unlikely to help.

Just an option you may want to consider.

kronik by Diamond
              Thanks for the info

Comment

Me too. I have a gut feeling that if I were to go to my insurance company, things like scratches, chips and dings would be passed over. This is the majority of the damages. The expensive stuff.

Comment

I would start at your insurance company, they have the staff and resources to chase this down. Should be treated like a theft or vandalism or whatever the insurance company wants to call it. If they raise your rates later just change carriers. The new carrier may charge more too but at least the original carrier that raised them loses the business.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                    Sorry if this is duplicate info.

I would contact the state of TEXAS department that licenses wrecker and storage lots.

I think this is the link for the licensing. It gives a complaint link

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/towing/towing.htm
                    This has some good info on it.

Auto Recovery of Houston dba CAAR of Houston

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

My opinion Quick claims court is a waste of time, even if you win, doesn't mean they have to pay, then you file a lean against them or business and wait and never get a cent.
                        Contact your insurance as mentioned let them handle it if not get attorney to send a letter and go to probate court and they may give in

Comment

Originally posted by stevieray54 View Post
                          My opinion Quick claims court is a waste of time, even if you win, doesn't mean they have to pay, then you file a lean against them or business and wait and never get a cent.
                          Contact your insurance as mentioned let them handle it if not get attorney to send a letter and go to probate court and they may give in
                          Man, I am tuned in for the probate court angle. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            If I was an attorney, I would send the demand letter to both the repot agent who damaged it AND the lender with whom he has a contract and who ordered the repo. But then, I’m not an attorney.
                            They have “tow hearings” at your courthouse for illegal tows and the damages are triple, if you are found in the right. Towing companies HATE tow hearings.

Comment

Tow hearings huh? I’ll have to look into that. Sorry for not updating this. Since the demand letter was declined, I waited a few weeks due to my crazy busy work schedule. I filed in my local JP Court. I sent the repo company’s “registered agent” who is up in Dallas, the citation through a process server. Had a setback due to the agents address shown on his website, not being the same as the one listed by the state. The states has a suite number where the website didn’t. The citation wasn’t deliverable either. Sending it again. I’m thinking there must be a special corner of Hell set reserved for people in the repo business. This outfit and anyone associated with them certainly aren’t very cooperative. With them being bonded I wouldn’t think they’d be such a pain in the azs.

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
                                They have “tow hearings” at your courthouse for illegal tows and the damages are triple, if you are found in the right. Towing companies HATE tow hearings.
                                Are we sure Chew isn't posting this.....

Comment

Working...
                                X