Recommend me a suppressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
    IMO-do all translates to doing many things not very well. I could be wrong but typically these type items like everything will have you compromise somewhere.

You're better off to determine which application you use a suppressor for the most and start there.

I bought a Thunderbeast ultra 7 for its light weight and minimal poi shift.

I shot my first deer today with a suppressed rifle and loved it. I also carried my suppressed 17 hmr and very quietly tagged a couple of coons at 175 yards under the feeder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    This. There is no way a can weighs over a pound and is 8" long will be fun to shoot on a pistol. Likewise, it's going to ruin the balance and handling of an AR, even a 10.5" SBR.

If it is only being used on center fire rifles off the bench or blind, it should be fine, but then you're losing the "hybrid" aspect.

Unless you're really dedicated to suppressing the .45-70, I'd start with a lighter weight, mid size .30 can.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ&F'sDaddy View Post
      What gun and ammo did you use? Did you use subsonic ammo?
      The coon was shot with factory ammo as there's no reloading of a rimfire, that I know of.

I don't shoot sub's, my shots are too far and I'm not convinced bullet performance can be predictable at any range.

I shot the deer with a 22-250AI running a 22 inch barrel and an 80 grain bullet at 3100 fps. I also recently picked up a 20 inch 308 but haven't completed load development yet. I hunt a food plot that averages 20 yards wide but is 600 yards long on the edge of a corn field so shots can be out to 350.

I know some complain that you can't defeat the crack of the bullet but it's hardly noticeable. I first bought the suppressors as I hunt a small 450 acre pasture close to town with several small 5-10 acre home sites around me. I've tested by shooting nearby and you don't even notice the crack of the bullet if working in the shop if you don't know it's coming. And from 50 or more yards the report from the rifle sounds like a mouse fart.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
        This. There is no way a can weighs over a pound and is 8" long will be fun to shoot on a pistol. Likewise, it's going to ruin the balance and handling of an AR, even a 10.5" SBR.

If it is only being used on center fire rifles off the bench or blind, it should be fine, but then you're losing the "hybrid" aspect.

Unless you're really dedicated to suppressing the .45-70, I'd start with a lighter weight, mid size .30 can.
        Thanks for the heads up. I think I need to handle a few cans before I purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
          The coon was shot with factory ammo as there's no reloading of a rimfire, that I know of.

I don't shoot sub's, my shots are too far and I'm not convinced bullet performance can be predictable at any range.

I shot the deer with a 22-250AI running a 22 inch barrel and an 80 grain bullet at 3100 fps. I also recently picked up a 20 inch 308 but haven't completed load development yet. I hunt a food plot that averages 20 yards wide but is 600 yards long on the edge of a corn field so shots can be out to 350.

I know some complain that you can't defeat the crack of the bullet but it's hardly noticeable. I first bought the suppressors as I hunt a small 450 acre pasture close to town with several small 5-10 acre home sites around me. I've tested by shooting nearby and you don't even notice the crack of the bullet if working in the shop if you don't know it's coming. And from 50 or more yards the report from the rifle sounds like a mouse fart.
          Thanks for the response. I shot an axis buck with my suppressed remington 700 300AAC blackout using Lehigh Maximum Expansion subsonic ammo. Dropped the buck in its tracks. And this combo is quieter than an airgun.

Comment

The length of the hybrid will not be an issue, the weight is going to be its downfall. I agree with slick8, the hybrid might "do it all" but it won't be the best at anything. A good 30 cal can will get all your rifles quiet, any of the previous suggestions would be good to go. I own silencerco, but dead air would be getting a hard look if I was shopping. Pistols are fun to shoot suppressed, but they blow all kinds of stuff in your face and mouth. You gotta decide if the extra money for another suppressor would be worth it. IMO .22lr is the most fun to shoot suppressed, I suggest a little range time with one before you write them off. Best 500 bucks I've ever spent, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ&F'sDaddy View Post
              Thanks for the response. I shot an axis buck with my suppressed remington 700 300AAC blackout using Lehigh Maximum Expansion subsonic ammo. Dropped the buck in its tracks. And this combo is quieter than an airgun.
              How far of a shot?

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
                How far of a shot?

I’d like to know this as well. I’ve had terrible luck with the Lehigh ME subsonic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We had a thread going on this topic a few months back with some great info. Probably worth the search.

I thought shooting a .45 pistol suppressed would be fun but that wears off real quick! Unscrew the can to holster, no thanks. My .45 pistol can will handle .300 subs but the performance compared to a dedicated 30 cal can is night and day.

Weight is a key factor for me so the Omega is what I use most. There are a lot of great options now days. I love the tone of everything shot through the Omega, some like the tone produced by other manufacturers, that is kind of a Ford or Chevy thing. Make sure you are good with the mounting options, weight, length, etc. I really have not seen any recommendations on these suppressor threads that I would flat out stay away from.

Like an earlier poster, I shot my first deer suppressed over the weekend with 6.5 CM. The experiance is great- kind of hard to explain. Instead of ringing ears and heavy recoil it was a low crack and thud while staying on target. Was able to immediately thank God instead of kicking myself for forgetting to throw on my ears.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
                    How far of a shot?
                    50-60 yards

Comment

Originally posted by lungbuster1985 View Post
                      Griffin Optimus is another option. It is rated to 300wm, size configurable, and user serviceable for .22lr use. But... it only works on 9mm pistols.
                      I have this can and have run it on .17HMR, 5.56, 6.5 Grendel and .308. I can run it short or long and break it down and clean it.

Im no suppressor expert but for my needs to handle my rifles it works for me.
                      Last edited by KC Huntin; 11-13-2017, 07:28 AM.

Comment

I really like my SilencerCo Harvester for a hunting rifle. Super light weight, affordable, effective and versatile. It's not quite as heavy duty as some, but plenty stout and the weight savings is substantial, especially if you're putting it on the end of a 24"+ barrel. This also helps keep POI shift to a minimum.

I also have a surefire SOCOM and I love that too for my shorter barrels and higher volume shooting. Durable as hell, and the mounting system is rock solid, but the mounts are expensive.

Lots of good options out there but I agree with others as far as do all (or lack of). I prefer to buy purpose built tools which is why I made the choices between the two that I did, so decide it's primary use and find one to fit that bill. I know they're expensive and the wait sucks, but it will be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                          I’m looking for a one can does it all suppressor. I’ve looked at a few but I’m just not sure. I like the silencerco hybrid the ability to mount on everything from 223-45-70 is really interesting and the ability for handgun mounting.

Thanks in advance.
                          You need to decide whether you want your first suppressor to shoot .45-70, because that eliminates almost every suppressor on the market today.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                            I’m looking for a one can does it all suppressor. I’ve looked at a few but I’m just not sure. I like the silencerco hybrid the ability to mount on everything from 223-45-70 is really interesting and the ability for handgun mounting.

Thanks in advance.
                            As you have seen from the above posts what you want, really does not exist if you want it to be effective.

It is like getting an 18- Wheeler because it will do everything from hauling heavy loads to getting you back and forth from work.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                              As you have seen from the above posts what you want, really does not exist if you want it to be effective.

It is like getting an 18- Wheeler because it will do everything from hauling heavy loads to getting you back and forth from work.
                              Well put...

I’m not dead set on any one suppressor,make,or model. I’m trying to get the most bang for my buck. Maybe I’ll just go back to the 30 cal cans with removable end caps that can be switched to 223/556.

Comment

I've got a silencerco specwar that i've used on my 308 & 556 for several years now and I've been very happy with it. Just have the muzzle brake on every gun you want to use it on and its about a 10 second swap with the QD mount.

Comment

Working...
                                X