OT: Mckinney/Princeton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Mckinney/Princeton

The wife and I are going to be moving to this area at the end of 2019. We are looking forward to this move out of the Permian Basin and back to the North Texas area. I have a couple questions.

Where to live? McKinney or Princeton?

Judging by the home prices looks as if Princeton is a little cheaper than McKinney. I would imagine in a year the prices may climb a little more because it seemed that a lot of people were telling us the dallas folk are moving out further to that area. I would love to get some information from any of you who live in the area, did live in the area or are just familiar with the area.

Thanks in advance.

I used to live in Greenville & considered moving to Princeton at one time. I like the little more rural feel of Princeton. If you have children, I’ve always s heard Mckinney has great schools. Mckinney has exploded with growth but is a nice area in my opinion. Good luck

Comment

I currently live in Princeton, have my whole life actually. Its definitely growing at a rapid pace. Lots of traffic on 380 now days. Tons of new homes are being built, more businesses heading this way sense our last election passed the alcohol bill allowing restaurants to serve. Rumors flying about big box stores, like HD, lowes, target. Getting pretty crazy around here.

TXDOT is fixing to expand 380 and take out a lot of the frontage businesses on the north side. Also plans for some sort of loop and other bypass's, I don't have many details on that yet.

It's certainly not as big as McKinney, but its growing so who know's what the future holds for our not so small town anymore.

Comment

I live in between Princeton and Blue Ridge in a little community called Climax. I've watched Princeton boom in the last 5 or 6 years. I think Princeton would be great because as it grows you will probably have some pretty quick equity in your home. Also, If you know how to maneuver around the area, you can avoid the traffic on a few back roads and still get to McKinney pretty easily.

Comment

McKinney has 2 very different areas to choose from. There are still rural areas of McKinney, and the East side has a very small town / homey feel. The West side is completely different. All new construction and cookie cutter. Downtown McKinney on the square is awesome in my opinion. One of my favorite steakhouses (many other restaurants / bars), and shops for the Better Half. Has a great feel that they have worked hard to maintain.

Princeton isnt nearly as developed, but is getting to be from the expansion headed that direction. 380 is a mess and a half. Princeton is definitely more cost friendly because it is just a little bit further out.

Your budget will have a lot to say about your choices as well. There are a ton of different choices in McKinney depending on what you want / like.

Comment

extremely fast growing area. I was in princeton for one of my daughters volleyball playoff games a few weeks ago. I was talking with the AD, and was told they would probably be building another high school in the next 5 years due to the growth. I had not been thru there in 3 years. It has changed a lot. 380 is crowded all the way from Denton to Princeton. It took almost 30 minutes to get from McKinney to the gym in Princeton which is only about 10 miles. I couldn't stand to live in all that mess. If you are looking for city living, you will find it, especially in the next 10 years as it grows. Its pretty much the same to the north in Melissa as well. Good luck on the move.

Comment

drone video of new stuff in Princeton lately

Comment

Look into Allen or Lucas as well

Comment

My mom is the Assistant/Girls AD in Princeton. She loves the schools and doesn't regret the career move what so ever. I would love to be out in that area but more on the outskirts of town. We recently bought a house in Royse City and I can see Princeton growing at a faster rate than Royse is. It will be growing for a long time to come with all the open land in the area and the easy commute to Mckinney and 75. Lots of nice neighborhoods out that way, should be able to find something you'd like.

Comment

What area will you be working? What do you/family do for entertainment?
                    I work in McKinney and drive 380 through Princeton to get to work every day. During rush hour 380 can get loaded with cars, but it generally flows. The construction has recently started on it going to 3 lanes each way I believe.

McKinney is a pretty cool city with many of the people still more on the country side, it was not long ago that McKinney was a small town way up north.
                    Princeton is quickly growing because McKinney has skyrocketed in prices. People want a little bit bigger lot, smaller town feel, or cheaper houses in general. But your 15-20 minutes from a major highway.

If your work more than 10 miles south or west of McKinney, it would be far better to just live in McKinney and avoid the extra driving. If you work in or very nearby McKinney, Princeton is not far at all.
                    If you need downtown Dallas, lots of shopping, Ft Worth entertainment or easy DFW airport, professional sports, etc, that extra 15-20 minutes coming out of Princeton would be a pain. McKinney offers easy access to 75 and 121 which can get you anywhere.

It's obviously not a straightforward answer, but some things to think about. Everyone's tolerance of driving and access is different.

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                      What area will you be working? What do you/family do for entertainment?
                      I work in McKinney and drive 380 through Princeton to get to work every day. During rush hour 380 can get loaded with cars, but it generally flows. The construction has recently started on it going to 3 lanes each way I believe.

McKinney is a pretty cool city with many of the people still more on the country side, it was not long ago that McKinney was a small town way up north.
                      Princeton is quickly growing because McKinney has skyrocketed in prices. People want a little bit bigger lot, smaller town feel, or cheaper houses in general. But your 15-20 minutes from a major highway.

If your work more than 10 miles south or west of McKinney, it would be far better to just live in McKinney and avoid the extra driving. If you work in or very nearby McKinney, Princeton is not far at all.
                      If you need downtown Dallas, lots of shopping, Ft Worth entertainment or easy DFW airport, professional sports, etc, that extra 15-20 minutes coming out of Princeton would be a pain. McKinney offers easy access to 75 and 121 which can get you anywhere.

It's obviously not a straightforward answer, but some things to think about. Everyone's tolerance of driving and access is different.
                      I work for a midstream oil and gas company. I travel most of the time to Louisiana, Oklahoma, Ohio. This will put me centrally located. And my wife is in the healthcare field. We are 28 and no kids, salaries in the 200K range. I have looked at home prices in both areas and it doesn't even look like we will have trouble finding something we like with our salary. Also, we pay 2500$/ month in rent in the Permian. So, we are really excited to purchase a home when we get out of here.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyRanchero View Post
                        I work for a midstream oil and gas company. I travel most of the time to Louisiana, Oklahoma, Ohio. This will put me centrally located. And my wife is in the healthcare field. We are 28 and no kids, salaries in the 200K range. I have looked at home prices in both areas and it doesn't even look like we will have trouble finding something we like with our salary. Also, we pay 2500$/ month in rent in the Permian. So, we are really excited to purchase a home when we get out of here.
                        With that information, I would look near downtown McKinney. Great for a young Family with old charm that you just dont get everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
                          My mom is the Assistant/Girls AD in Princeton. She loves the schools and doesn't regret the career move what so ever. I would love to be out in that area but more on the outskirts of town. We recently bought a house in Royse City and I can see Princeton growing at a faster rate than Royse is. It will be growing for a long time to come with all the open land in the area and the easy commute to Mckinney and 75. Lots of nice neighborhoods out that way, should be able to find something you'd like.
                          your mom must be Renae. She's who I spoke with about the growth and building another high school in the near future. I've know her for years thru the coaching circles.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                            your mom must be Renae. She's who I spoke with about the growth and building another high school in the near future. I've know her for years thru the coaching circles.
                            Yes sir, that's her!

Comment

McKinney has figured out what many towns are trying to accomplish in a revitalized downtown with a culture that is growing. Sulphur Springs has done it as well. I would move to Mckinney given those options.

Comment

Working...
                              X