Handemade Bowie Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handemade Bowie Knife

Had a fella ask me if I could make him a traditional Bowie. Once I got started, I didn't like the black walnut or the plain brass pins so I kinda detoured from the original plan. What I ended up using was some nicely figured cocobolo wood and mosaic pins with brass and stainless in them. Many of the early original Bowies had the brass along the spine of the blade to help dissipate a blow from a sword or another knife and distribute the shock throughout the entire blade to help prevent it from getting damaged or broken in a fight or to be hammered on to split wood. It's attached with drilled holes and peening brass pins into the top of the blade and through the underbelly of the finger guard. Snapped a quick photo and it's off to the sheathmaker

(14" OAL, 9" blade) Col. James Bowie (1796-1836) - "His blade was tempered and so was he":
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Leon County Slayer; 08-19-2013, 05:54 PM.

Very nice

Comment

Wow! Well done. That is beautiful

Comment

Thats a good looking bowie knife.

Comment

Sexy is the correct description of that there. Helluva job bud. Helluva job. Can I ask what something like that would cost?

Comment

I'm laughing now looking at that pic how small it makes that shed look and that horn is grande

Comment

Originally posted by Oilfield_diver View Post
              Sexy is the correct description of that there. Helluva job bud. Helluva job. Can I ask what something like that would cost?
              Thank you much! Well, I have to say I completely underbid this one because I didn't know what I was getting into on my first Bowie. If I made another, I would say a fair going price would be around $800+ for the Damascus cost and time involved.

Comment

WOW - just beautiful Brian

Comment

That is a very pretty knife

Comment

That is an amazing blade. Good job!

Comment

Very nice bud

Comment

Thanks guys, it's always fun to try out something new....to see a knife born, not built.
                        cheesy eh!
                        Last edited by Leon County Slayer; 08-19-2013, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Very well done Brian.

Comment

Wow awesome just plain awesome

Comment

That sure is a purdy sword!

Comment

Working...
                              X