Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
MetalMan2004
Eight Point

Default Farmerís Market Prices

We go to farmerís markets probably twice a month. Itís a great way to get the kids out of the house on Saturday morning and they seem to eat more when we let them pick out their own food.

Part of the appeal is supposed to be (or I thought so anyways) lower prices because youíre buying straight from the farm. That doesnít seem to be the case though.

The going rate for eggs at the two markets we go to is $6 per dozen (and they always seem to sell out) while organic free range from H-E-B are under $4 per dozen. Grass fed filets are $25-30/ lb, sometimes more, and are always very lean. The big H-E-B has grass fed filets that sometimes rival their prime filets in marbling at $23/ lb.

Anybody have an explanation for this? What am I missing?
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #2
SAC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Fayette & Colorado Co.

The almighty $
SAC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
boy wonder
Ten Point

Hunt In: Albany

I think some "farmers" just buy and re-sell......
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #4
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Most likely just capitalism at work due to the organic/clean eating/farm to table trend.
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

They are paying for space at the Farmer Market. If I could sell eggs for $.05 each our $.08 each and I was going to sell all I had atveither price it’s a no brainer. Supply/Demand
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #6
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

It cost the small producers more to generate a dz eggs than say pilgrims

Plus the people who buy the things for sale are usually willing to pay a little more because they did not come from a commercial farm
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:09 AM   #7
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy wonder View Post
I think some "farmers" just buy and re-sell......
I have noticed this also in some cases. You have to know what you are buying and what seasonal vegetables are available.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:12 AM   #8
Walker
Ten Point

Kinda like gun shows. Wholesale to the unsuspecting/gullible public.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #9
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Your paying for quality at a farmers market. ďGrass fedĒ at a store doesnít mean anything. The standards that let them say grass fed are minimal. It would need to say grass fed and finished. More than likely the stuff you would buy at a farmers market is actually grass fed and finished if sold by and actual farm. Same with the eggs and ďfree rangeĒ. But you should always look into and ask questions about the product even at a farmers market.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #10
sticks
Six Point

Hunt In: Woodson, Throckmorton

I’m not sure which market you are going to . When I as growing up in the 60’s and 70’s
We would go to the downtown Dallas market. It was4 pavilions back then.
In the day they were actual farmers locally grown. If you look close, today many are just buying produce from a distributor and re-selling it. They may take it from a box and display it in acute basket but it’s not what it used to be.

As a kid I loved the smell of the market on a warm summer morning.
Today 3 of the 4 pavilions have been torn down to build shops for hard goods. But they still call it the farmers market.

You don’t even see the road side stands that local farmers used to have. We always bought produce off the side of the road anytime we went east of Mesquite.

I haven’t seen a Black Diamond watermelon for 15 years or for. I miss that.
sticks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #11
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

I don't think they are supposed to be cheaper. I think the appeal is you are supporting small local farmers and local economies, getting fresher foods because usually you are getting food that is in season and not shipped from a hot house somewhere, and you know where your food is coming from since often times you can talk to the farmers. Back in PA I was invited more than once to visit their farm to see for myself they are really cage free and free range chickens for example. Of course that is not always the case with resellers nowadays. But these small local farmers aren't selling in commercial bulk, so I wouldn't expect cheaper than you can get at the store. At least that is how I always looked at it.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #12
Leon County Slayer
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Camo (Leon County) - Knifemaker<><

I’d guess they are selling a few eggs vs millions. It’s probably helping a local farmer that doesn’t sell to box stores. Good stuff.
Leon County Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #13
More Liberty
Ten Point

Hunt In: My land

I'm a small farmer and beekeeper. We sell our local, fresh vegetables and honey at a farmers market; additionally, we have weekly customers that purchase CSA (community supported agriculture) season vegetables. At the farmers market I sell at, the organizers don't allow re-sells. In fact they come to your farm to make sure you're not going down to the NAFTA market in Houston, buying Mexican vegetables and up charging.

We also sell to some "farm to table restaurants" - although many of those chefs can be difficult to deal with. The issue isn't cheaper necessarily - it's knowing where your food is grown. That matters to some people and some people don't care. Hell you can go to Walmart and buy cheap eggs, tomatoes or Chinese honey but many of my customers like knowing the farmer and where their food is grown.
More Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #14
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks View Post
Iím not sure which market you are going to . When I as growing up in the 60ís and 70ís
We would go to the downtown Dallas market. It was4 pavilions back then.
In the day they were actual farmers locally grown. If you look close, today many are just buying produce from a distributor and re-selling it. They may take it from a box and display it in acute basket but itís not what it used to be.

As a kid I loved the smell of the market on a warm summer morning.
Today 3 of the 4 pavilions have been torn down to build shops for hard goods. But they still call it the farmers market.

You donít even see the road side stands that local farmers used to have. We always bought produce off the side of the road anytime we went east of Mesquite.

I havenít seen a Black Diamond watermelon for 15 years or for. I miss that.
Yep. Grew up going to the Dallas Farmers Market. The neighbors would go in together and buy stuff by the bushel and split it up. I snapped many a green bean in my youth.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #15
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Part of its that they can sell it for that price because people buy it. I know a similar one... you talking about the one in westchase? People eat up that farm fresh label and pay out the wazoo. I normally only buy produce since that's fairly priced, and one or two ubique items. The other part of their pricing is theyre accounting for travel, and some level of making up for what might not sell.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #16
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

It’s like having your bow tuned at a shop or having it done at Amazon. Oh wait...
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #17
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

The only place I have seen the black diamond melons mentioned above are in the Hempstead area.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #18
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pandora

I would have to question beef as "grass fed" from any place unless I have raised it.

I remember during the drought a few years ago, I heard of some folks going to Catalini Produce in San Antonio and buying fruit and veggies. Set up a stand along the highway and sell it as organic and locally grown
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #19
texasair
Eight Point

More Liberty, Care to let us know about that Farmers market that does not allow resellers?
Most farmers markets that I have visited are about 90% resellers. Some are pretty honest about it. Some not so.
texasair is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #20
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps7742 View Post
The only place I have seen the black diamond melons mentioned above are in the Hempstead area.
Stockdale Watermelon Jubilee.

Black Diamond and yeller meat melons.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #21
More Liberty
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasair View Post
More Liberty, Care to let us know about that Farmers market that does not allow resellers?
Most farmers markets that I have visited are about 90% resellers. Some are pretty honest about it. Some not so.
The Woodlands Farmers market for one. They do not allow resell of meats, vegetables and most other products.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #22
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

Get some chickens or cows and see how cheap the meat and eggs are then. They probably aren't making millions selling at the farmers markets.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #23
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

I watched a news story where they covered these farmers markets and how they purchase their produce from commercial wholesalers then resell as theirs. Just something to think about.
Bowhuntamistad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #24
MetalMan2004
Eight Point

There are a lot of good points here, and I’m sure all of them have some truth to them. Think I’ll try to do a bit more research on the grocery store labels and the reselling at the markets.

Most of the time I try to have a decent conversation with the vendors simply out of interest. Most of them I’ve talked to seem to be producing their own stuff. I’ve never really talked to any of the egg people though because they always have big lines and always sell out. I have a 1/2 cow in the freezer right now so I haven’t bought beef in quite a while either.

The whole grass fed and finished pricing still boggles my mind. I have a friend Inn california that buys a 1/2 cow every year for $4/ lb. after years of searching around here I finally got a corn finished 1/2 cow for around $4.50/ lb. haven’t seen grass fed and finished (even in bulk) for under around $8/ lb in Texas.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #25
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Simple economics.

The farmer (even the reseller) cannot do the volume that the large corporations do, so their fixed cost per item is larger, and they have to sell at higher prices to make a profit.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #26
More Liberty
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
I watched a news story where they covered these farmers markets and how they purchase their produce from commercial wholesalers then resell as theirs. Just something to think about.
There are some that do that - they aren't farmers they are small time distributors.

Many box stores like Wal-Mart and HEB don't make profit off their produce. The reason they sell it is to bring people in. They are ok breaking even or loosing a small percentage if over all they profit from the increase traffic as you buy meat. Where those grocers make the money isn't produce it's the meat. The farmers market I sell our vegetables and honey at is located in the parking lot of a Randals Grocery store. I guess they allow the market but here is the kicker - they limit the number of meat sellers because they don't want the competition.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #27
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

I've never thought a farmers market would be the place to buy cheap. Maybe you need to hit walmart.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #28
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.
Default Farmerís Market Prices

We go to the Sunset Valley FM here in S Austin and I guarantee there is no re selling commercial produce there. I donít mind paying a little more to support my local economy and knowing exactly where my food comes from. Hell we all know how much money we spend just putting a deer in the freezer.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #29
MetalMan2004
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
I've never thought a farmers market would be the place to buy cheap. Maybe you need to hit walmart.
Thatís great advice. ďIf youíre going to bother looking at a price you might as well head for the bargain bin.Ē
Old 01-19-2019, 06:16 PM   #30
friscopaint
Ten Point

we had 150 chickens in Frisco couple years ago and sold eggs for $5 a dozen, sold everyone we had every week. Folks could actually see our chickens out running around as we free ranged every day. My buddy said I was crazy, no way anyone was going to pay $5 a dozen when cheaper at the store, he was wrong. We had customers with standing orders every week.
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #31
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I've always thought the same thing...Here's my thoughts although I understand and agree with other people's thoughts as to why they are higher also.

When any store buys a product there are huge markups and waste. Not sure on food but most things are marked up at the very least 40%..Then there's shipping etc. So if a farmer is selling organic meat (as example) to a store like HEB they should be able to sell it cheaper at a farmers market or at least the same as HEB sells it for.

But it's the allure of fresh *organic food that gets a lot of city folks paying high prices. And as mentioned I bet a lot of them are getting the same non-organic food as sold in HEB.

When I say organic I use that to sum up all the other words also (all natural, grass fed, cage free, blah blah blah)

I could not imagine how much it would cost to eat mainly all food from the farmers market.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 06:37 PM   #32
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
we had 150 chickens in Frisco couple years ago and sold eggs for $5 a dozen, sold everyone we had every week. Folks could actually see our chickens out running around as we free ranged every day. My buddy said I was crazy, no way anyone was going to pay $5 a dozen when cheaper at the store, he was wrong. We had customers with standing orders every week.
So what happened? You still sell eggs, move, or not enough profits?
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #33
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I had about 20 chickens. Folks gave my kid $5 a dozen and he was always sold out. I can’t say they were organic. They ate anything and everything. Mostly what they found in the yard. When I was processing deer they ate that- leftover Dominos the kids threw that out in the yard. They had the dark orange yolks and people could not get enough.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #34
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Yep. Most the stuff is wAy over priced
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #35
coachmas
Eight Point

Hunt In: around Palestine

Dang what farmers market? My boys sell our extra eggs to neighbors and friends at church for $3/doz just to recoup some feed money.
coachmas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #36
TXHunter12
Ten Point

Yea seriously don’t believe the HEB commercials of them hand selecting the beef, eggs, etc.

You really don’t know what you are getting.

Others have already explained grass fed beef. If you have ever seen a commercial feedlot for cows prior to butcher you would understand.
TXHunter12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #37
Stuck
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
I had about 20 chickens. Folks gave my kid $5 a dozen and he was always sold out. I canít say they were organic. They ate anything and everything. Mostly what they found in the yard. When I was processing deer they ate that- leftover Dominos the kids threw that out in the yard. They had the dark orange yolks and people could not get enough.
You have a rooster?
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:51 PM   #38
Smell the Glove
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
We go to farmerís markets probably twice a month. Itís a great way to get the kids out of the house on Saturday morning and they seem to eat more when we let them pick out their own food.

Part of the appeal is supposed to be (or I thought so anyways) lower prices because youíre buying straight from the farm. That doesnít seem to be the case though.

The going rate for eggs at the two markets we go to is $6 per dozen (and they always seem to sell out) while organic free range from H-E-B are under $4 per dozen. Grass fed filets are $25-30/ lb, sometimes more, and are always very lean. The big H-E-B has grass fed filets that sometimes rival their prime filets in marbling at $23/ lb.

Anybody have an explanation for this? What am I missing?
I think you are in Houston. Which market are you going to?
Smell the Glove is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2019, 12:08 AM   #39
Mike
Ten Point

I remember going to the big market in Houston, on the North side just inside the loop. It was a big place, part enclosed and then the back was trucks backed into the open air loading docks. We went every other month or so and it was a neat experience, that was in the mid 70's - early 80's. There are a couple of local trade days held in vacant parking lots around here and it seems to be all local growers.

Regarding eggs, there are several ladies in the area that deliver for $3 per dozen and run a route every few days.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2019, 12:53 AM   #40
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Iím gonna go back to the fact that we put how much money into putting deer in the freezer?
Iíll gladly pay a buck more for a head of lettuce that I know was grown in Fredericksburg over some crap grown in crap in Mexico or trucked in from California any day.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2019, 05:18 AM   #41
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Moved, it was pretty much all profit. Folks went nuts over the eggs, multi colored and speckles. Like said by another we never claimed organic just free range, they were our disposal since we didn't have one.

Last edited by friscopaint; 01-20-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:19 AM   #42
TXHunter12
Ten Point

I remember a relative telling a story of driving out to the farmers market in Hempstead. Deoria Farms or something like that. They drive out of the big city. They got there early and the lady working there says it will be a little while because the truck coming from Houston is running late.
TXHunter12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2019, 06:51 AM   #43
More Liberty
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I remember going to the big market in Houston, on the North side just inside the loop. It was a big place, part enclosed and then the back was trucks backed into the open air loading docks. We went every other month or so and it was a neat experience, that was in the mid 70's - early 80's. There are a couple of local trade days held in vacant parking lots around here and it seems to be all local growers.

Regarding eggs, there are several ladies in the area that deliver for $3 per dozen and run a route every few days.
When I was a kids in the 80s my we went to that market as well. It's still there and hasnt changed. It's a NAFTA market meaning most of that produce comes from Mexico.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #44
MetalMan2004
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smell the Glove View Post
I think you are in Houston. Which market are you going to?
Yep Iím in Houston. Sometimes we go to the one off I-10 and Bunker Hill. Itís the expensive part of town so no surprise things are expensive there. They seem to have a better selection and more product than the other one we got to, Downtown Humble. A couple weeks ago we got to the Humble market at 11 because it had been a cold morning and almost everything was sold out. Pricing seems to be the same at both markets.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #45
RWB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Some of you guys are like some of my sales guys. What they make it/produce it for has nothing to do with the price. The price is set by what people will pay for a product.....not what margin I make on it. Reason prices are higher is because people are paying them right now.
RWB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #46
db@100
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Liberty View Post
When I was a kids in the 80s my we went to that market as well. It's still there and hasnt changed. It's a NAFTA market meaning most of that produce comes from Mexico.
It's not there any longer!
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2019, 08:14 AM   #47
Native Texan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

This place in Waller has some of the best tasting fruits and vegetables during season. Not like the bland tasteless stuff you get at the grocery store. A lot of it you can even pick yourself...can't get any fresher than that. And they don't sell anything that wasn't grown on their farm.

https://www.facebook.com/Neals-Berry...-221180603853/
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #48
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Moved, was almost all profit. Multi colored eggs
Old 01-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #49
dbaio1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area

I do not mind paying extra when I can to support a local small farmer. I also do not believe what is sold by large corporations when you get into the whole organic, free range and all that blah blah blah.
dbaio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #50
dbaio1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoof View Post
Iím gonna go back to the fact that we put how much money into putting deer in the freezer?
Iíll gladly pay a buck more for a head of lettuce that I know was grown in Fredericksburg over some crap grown in crap in Mexico or trucked in from California any day.
Yes sir, all day long and twice on Sunday.
dbaio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top