Yu Darvish.... to stay or go? You make the call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yu Darvish.... to stay or go? You make the call

Lunch time reading today. Article about Rangers v. Astros, and Yu Darvish remaining days in Texas. There's a couple of days to go until another game is played. So, for a little time killer: Link to article below. Excerpt of end of article below. Kind of cryptic. I don't expect Yu to give a home town discount. I don't expect the Rangers to 7 for 155 either. Could be an interesting few days / weeks. Speculate away.

Worse still is that Darvish's days with the Rangers might be numbered -- and that number might be down to days instead of months. Darvish, who is in the last year of a six-year, $56-million contract, is slated to be a free agent this offseason.
    Though he likes living in Texas, and the Rangers are the only MLB team that he has played for since coming over from Japan in 2012, there will be no hometown discounts -- especially not after he saw his fellow countryman, Masahiro Tanaka, sign a seven-year, $155-million contract with the Yankees in 2014.
    "Liking Texas and signing a deal are two different things," said Darvish, speaking through an interpreter. "It's all business."

Sounds like he will leave for greener pastures unless Texas coughs up the benjamins.

Comment

He gone

Comment

I would give him 5/150 right now and not think twice about it. I am really not sure what JD and the owners are waiting for, unless they cant swing the cash. They are two years out from being in the new digs and money should be flowing well at that point. The starting rotation is pretty bare at the moment for next season if they let you walk (Hamels and Perez). You know the old saying **** or get off the pot!

Comment

30 mil / year for 5 years for a soon to be 31 y.o., with a Tommy John arm, a history of more minor injuries, that may or may not have "the stomach for a fight'? The guy, on the nights he is good, is great. On other nights not so much. I have no idea how this will go. And maybe worse, i have no idea how i think it should go.

Comment

It's a confusing year, we have a top three run differential scoring team and the number 8 overall scoring team in the league. Should be more than enough to get you into the playoffs this season. That said, our rotation is sketchy at best and the bullpen is 28th in the league.

I honestly think we should shop him at the deadline and see what we can get to start building back our minor leagues. We wont pony up the cash to sign him, nor do I think it's a good idea to at this point.

Comment

If he wants 30 mil a year, trade him. That is top 4 in the game at 26 yoa money, and he's barely in the top 10 at 31 yoa.

Comment

Originally posted by cookemerkel View Post
                I would give him 5/150 right now and not think twice about it. I am really not sure what JD and the owners are waiting for, unless they cant swing the cash. They are two years out from being in the new digs and money should be flowing well at that point. The starting rotation is pretty bare at the moment for next season if they let you walk (Hamels and Perez). You know the old saying **** or get off the pot!

Maybe waiting on him not to suck?

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                  30 mil / year for 5 years for a soon to be 31 y.o., with a Tommy John arm, a history of more minor injuries, that may or may not have "the stomach for a fight'? The guy, on the nights he is good, is great. On other nights not so much. I have no idea how this will go. And maybe worse, i have no idea how i think it should go.
                  Even on his "off" nights he is better than most. He hasn't been lights out this year, but even with a rocky first half he still leads the team in ERA, 3.5 or so. The real problem I see if we let him walk, who is going to replace him? We don't have any young guns waiting in RR ready to come in and produce in '18. Hell 150 might not even be enough to keep him if LA or NY come calling.

"the stomach for a fight' .. also I am not sure who came up with this narrative but I do not buy it. Yea he is usually good for one inning a game where he blanks and gives up a bomb or two but usually settles back in and gives us a fighting chance. He also gets little to no run support. How many 0-1 or 0-2 games has he lost in his career?

Comment

Originally posted by super_dave View Post
                    Maybe waiting on him not to suck?
                    I guess i missed the part where he actually sucked...and if yall think Darvish sucks you must really hate the rest of the rotation.
                    Last edited by cookemerkel; 07-12-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Bye Felicia

Comment

Originally posted by cookemerkel View Post
                        I guess i missed the part where he actually sucked...

Here's 1 part

Comment

Here's another

Comment

The dude is 6-8. That's not good.

Comment

Super_dave.....and all his........facts.

Comment

Working...
                              X