View Poll Results: What Photo Editing Tool Do You Primarily Use?
Lightroom 17 51.52%
Photoshop 8 24.24%
Lightroom and Photoshop 7 21.21%
Other 1 3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Photography

Old 12-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #101
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Ah. So when you import off of your camera card you import the RAW files into a folder on your computer hard drive and a folder on your external hard drive simultaneously? And then after you edit the pics you delete the RAW files from your computer hard drive?

I think I remember seeing a box to check in the import screen to create a copy. My laptop is at home, so I can't see right now. Perhaps there is another create a copy box to check on the export screen, and that is how you're getting 2 copies?? I would imagine it's in the import/export function somewhere. I don't think it would be anywhere else, but I could be wrong.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #102
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Ah. So when you import off of your camera card you import the RAW files into a folder on your computer hard drive and a folder on your external hard drive simultaneously? And then after you edit the pics you delete the RAW files from your computer hard drive?

I think I remember seeing a box to check in the import screen to create a copy. My laptop is at home, so I can't see right now. Perhaps there is another create a copy box to check on the export screen, and that is how you're getting 2 copies?? I would imagine it's in the import/export function somewhere. I don't think it would be anywhere else, but I could be wrong.
YES!

I'm not sure where that box is and I didn't look when I used it a little bit ago. Honestly I think I'd be better off just importing to the separate drive without a copy in the first place, then when I export the jpegs to My Pictures I don't have to go back and delete the RAW folder from my main HD.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #103
Shane
Pope & Young

Yep, that's what I do. No extra step in the process that way. I do need to come up with a backup system though. Online storage is probably the best answer. I signed up for Amazon Prime recently. Any idea how that compares to other cloud backup services?
Old 12-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #104
Bill M
Pope & Young

I haven't looked into Amazon storage. I am in my trial of Prime and will go permanent for a year in a couple of days. I haven't looked at all the benefits that closely. Is cloud storage one of them? I am really backed up well locally but theft or fire could get me.

There is a great backup software called Syncback Free that backs up actual files, no restoring required. I've been using it for awhile and I'm very happy with it.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #105
Shane
Pope & Young

Prime has photo storage, but costs vary according to the amount of data you store. I need to compare it to others.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #106
Bill M
Pope & Young

Gotcha, so it's not a Prime freebie. Here is the interface to the Syncback I mentioned. The K, L, M are different drives, two which are in my machine and one external. I can go to any of those folders and look at those items through the dates shown. Pretty cool deal.

Name:  syncback free bill.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  47.3 KB

Last edited by Bill M; 12-10-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 AM   #107
Bill M
Pope & Young

Shane I did find the box to uncheck to create the copy in the import screen under file handling.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:17 AM   #108
Bill M
Pope & Young

I'm looking to re-process some older photos when I don't any new ones to go through.