Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
tiny's taxiderm
Ten Point

Hunt In: lavaca and colorado countys
Default Warriors weekend poc.

I will be participating in taking some guys out this weekend in poc, anybody else participating in this event that can give me a few pointers being that this is my first year in doing it?
tiny's taxiderm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
hunting270
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico and Wyoming

Been there the last couple of years and got to help last year and really enjoyed it since I am a vet. I was trying to volunteer this year but my wife decided to make other plans. Have a good time and thanks for your participation.
hunting270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
Jon-Paul
Administrator

I really wanted to help out since I am a vet myself, however I am unable to make.

Thanks for helping out
Jon-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
cgny27
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

what is it?
cgny27 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
Junebug
Eight Point

We'll be there. Looking forward to it.
Junebug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
fulldraw_529
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jackson Co.

Was there last year. Had planned to go this year with my boat, but my surgery put a stop to that. Keep in mind some of these guys have never been out on a boat. Ask them what they want to catch and go from there. We had access to a house out on the island to stay the night before to avoid the crowd launching. Get there plenty early and get your bait. I think we got to Froggies about 8 or so and it wasn't terrible.
fulldraw_529 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #7
Junebug
Eight Point

Boat Captain's Info Sheet
• Boats 21' and less will pick up at the Sanctuary Docks through the second entry channel from from POC. Boats will not be able to launch from the Sanctuary and MUST launch elsewhere and boat to the Sanctuary docks.
• Boats over 21' will pick up at Froggie's Bait Dock. You may launch from there but because of the buses and crowds, your best bet would be to launch elsewhere and boat to Froggie's.
• Check in for Boat Captains will be on Friday, May 16 from 4:00pm till 6:00pm at Froggie's, then again from 5:00am - 8:00am Saturday, May 17th at Froggie's.
• Boat Captains will need to supply rod & reels (spinning preferable), tackle & NON-ALCOHOLIC beverages. Soldiers will be supplied with snack bags, sunglasses, sunscreen and hats. Please, this is a NON-ALCOHOLIC event, per the Military request. DO NOT supply them with alcohol on the boats.
• Bait will be provided by Froggie's, Fishing Center, Boat House Bait and Clarks. You will receive a bait card upon check in to present at these docks to receive bait. Please thank them for their contributions, as it saves Warrior's Weekend much needed funds.
• ONLY 330 BOATS WILL BE ACCEPTED! So sign up early! Anybody after will be asked if they would want to go on the standby listand still receive all Captain and Deckhand gifts.
• All boats must bring their soldiers back to Froggie's bait Dock. No matter where they picked them up.
• Fishing time will start at approx. 9:00am and soldiers must be in by 3:00pm. Some soldiers will not be able to last all day, so please bring them in at their request.
• All Texas Parks & Wildlife laws MUCT BE ADHERED TO and no illegal size or number should be brought in. This will cause you or the soldiers to receive citations when caught. Soldiers will be exempt from licensing and oversized redfish tags will be available. PLEASE ABIDE BY ALL STATE LAWS!
• Please fish how you are comfortable. Your fishing ability is not as important as your desire to help.
• All Boat Captains should have a deckhand if possible. Captains and Deckhands will receive a cap and t-shirt upon checking in and receive two tickets to the awards ceremony in the Big Tent on Saturday night, starting around 6:00pm. We will also have a Friday night fish fry at the Big Tent starting at around 7:00pm for captains & soldiers.
• Soldiers will be fishing for a variety of species and awards will be given for biggest legal red, slot red, trout flounder, drum, sheepshead, shark, stingray, jackfish and others. We will have them listed on your handout upon check in.
• If you need further details, call Russell Hofer at (361) 920-3321 or Kelly Parks at (361) 550-4296. if volunteering for non-captain help, call our Volunteer Coordinator, Janice Driver, at (361) 649-4460.

Ps. Pretty sure they are still looking for help.
Junebug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
tiny's taxiderm
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulldraw_529 View Post
Was there last year. Had planned to go this year with my boat, but my surgery put a stop to that. Keep in mind some of these guys have never been out on a boat. Ask them what they want to catch and go from there. We had access to a house out on the island to stay the night before to avoid the crowd launching. Get there plenty early and get your bait. I think we got to Froggies about 8 or so and it wasn't terrible.
Staying in seadrift, so im just going to launch from there and get bait a charlies now that they are on the bait donation list and head to poc via water
Old 05-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #9
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock, Runge

Ill be headed down there tonight. Between my buddies and I we will be running 4 boats. I've never done it before. Sounds like the weather will be good and it's gonna be a blast!
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
CLR
Eight Point

Hunt In: Refugio County

We will be there also. It is a great event.
CLR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #11
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wharton County

I am headed down tomorrow as well. I always look forward to Warriors Weekend. I got a new 23' Shoalwater Cat to fish some heroes on this year.
Pin Oak DXT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock, Runge

Ttt anyone else?
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
valverdehunter
Four Point

I'll be there. Last time I was able to help was 2010 and every year since something has come up and stopped me from going. We have a room in Port Lavaca. Sounds like it's gonna be blowing 22-25. I fish Aransas Bay and haven't been to POC since 2010. With the wind and the crowd where do yall suggest we take our WW to catch some fish. I have a 22' bay boat. It's a really humbling experience.
valverdehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #14
tiny's taxiderm
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by valverdehunter View Post
I'll be there. Last time I was able to help was 2010 and every year since something has come up and stopped me from going. We have a room in Port Lavaca. Sounds like it's gonna be blowing 22-25. I fish Aransas Bay and haven't been to POC since 2010. With the wind and the crowd where do yall suggest we take our WW to catch some fish. I have a 22' bay boat. It's a really humbling experience.
I would say the big jetties, but there's gonna be a half million people over there, im going to try mitchels cut and a couple other spots and hopefully get them guys something. Im more of the big fish/shark guy I love catching big jacks and stingrays and occasionaly im fortunate enough go hook up to a 5 or so foot shark

Last edited by tiny's taxiderm; 05-15-2014 at 03:06 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #15
tiny's taxiderm
Ten Point

I will be in this boat, its 3/16 marine aluminum with a 115 johnson on the back, if you see me don't be scared to pull up and visit, im not a lil fella either and.I wear bright shirts, you may miss the boat but surely you wont miss me

Last edited by tiny's taxiderm; 05-15-2014 at 03:12 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #16
Hollywood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Live Oak, Duval

Quote:
Originally Posted by valverdehunter View Post
It may depend a lot on your Warriors, depending on their abilities or disabilities. May not want to run across rough chop. That being said, the south shoreline from Conte to Lighthouse Cove will be protected but also packed.
May want to shoot across ( past old coastguard station ) & run over to the South shoreline near the Cedars, this puts you in close distance to the Big Jetties also.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #17
hunting270
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico and Wyoming

Good food down there. Eat at Kathies in POC or Bubbas in Seadrift.
hunting270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #18
valverdehunter
Four Point

Leaving San Antonio around 3 today for POC. Hope to see you guys at the dinner tonight. Have a safe trip down.
valverdehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #19
tiny's taxiderm
Ten Point

Leaving schulenburg at 130 today, hopefully I can make the supper. Looming forward to meeting new.people. safe travels everyone.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #20
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Fishin was good last weekend for sure, hopefully you guys will find it the same this weekend. Sounds like its going to be a great event
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #21
tiny's taxiderm
Ten Point

All I can say is WOWWWWW. Im speechless, can't wait to take some guys out tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #22
Hollywood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Live Oak, Duval

That is awesome, I hope it is still standing this Friday so I can take a closer look.
How was the weekend ? Seemed to be aweful windy. I was south of George West & it was howling.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top