Awesome pictures you people are good
Eric4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #52
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
I guess you still believe in the tooth fairy too don't you Dale?
No, I just believed 3 grand worth of camera, lens, and all that other crap was enough to take a good picture.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #53
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Man, I wish I had 3 grand to spend on camera crap.

I'm still using a three-hundred dollar point and shoot and a version of Photoshop that's 7 years old.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #54
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell Co., TX

I normally just upload "as is" to flickr. But here is a rather extreme exception...

Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2008, 09:51 PM   #55
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

Attachment 40925

Attachment 40926

Good point Joey, I'll shut up.

Man, that's AWESOME work! Your cooker hootuses are the bomb.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #56
Shane
Pope & Young

A good bit of the time, even a $3K camera can't produce an image that looks exactly like your eyes saw it in real life anyway. Reason being, like Michael said, neither film nor a digital sensor can handle as wide a range of light and dark as our eyes can.

An EV, or exposure value, is a measure of range of light. When you move up one EV, you double the amount of light. Move down and EV and you cut the light in half. Our eyes can process about 15 EVs (or close to that). Film and digital sensors can process about 6 EVs. Our eyes can adjust for varying degrees of light and dark in one view. A camera can only be adjusted for one part of the view, and anything that doesn't fit that adjustment gets lost in either black shadows or white blown out highlights.

Print paper and computer monitors are incapable of handling as much dynamic range as our eyes are too, so it is often impossible to get a truly realistic image anyway. That is the problem that lead to HDR technology. High Dynamic Range processing is cool. I hope to master it one of these days.

Basically, you take multiple images of a scene that has a wide range of light and dark. You set a range of exposures so that each part of the scene is properly exposed in at least one of your shots. Then the software combines the images into one by using only the properly exposed pieces from each one. Then you have to tonemap it back down to a LDR (low dynamic range) image so that your monitor and/or print paper will be able to handle it.

Here's an example of 3 shots I took that had everything from dark shadows under the trees in the background to bright white clouds lit by the sun that was just about to set. There was some really golden light hitting things too. One image just wouldn't capture it all. Here are the 3 shots. First was the image I got when setting the exposure to what the camera's meter said was "right". The next two were +2 and -2 EVs off of the first one. The 4th one is what I got after running all 3 through Photomatix and then a little fine tuning in Photoshop. This one truly is closer to what my eyes saw at the moment than any of the others straight out of the camera. I'm sure it's not exactly accurate either, but it's closer to what my eyes saw.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #57
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
A good bit of the time, even a $3K camera can't produce an image that looks exactly like your eyes saw it in real life anyway. Reason being, like Michael said, neither film nor a digital sensor can handle as wide a range of light and dark as our eyes can.

An EV, or exposure value, is a measure of range of light. When you move up one EV, you double the amount of light. Move down and EV and you cut the light in half. Our eyes can process about 15 EVs (or close to that). Film and digital sensors can process about 6 EVs. Our eyes can adjust for varying degrees of light and dark in one view. A camera can only be adjusted for one part of the view, and anything that doesn't fit that adjustment gets lost in either black shadows or white blown out highlights.

Print paper and computer monitors are incapable of handling as much dynamic range as our eyes are too, so it is often impossible to get a truly realistic image anyway. That is the problem that lead to HDR technology. High Dynamic Range processing is cool. I hope to master it one of these days.

Basically, you take multiple images of a scene that has a wide range of light and dark. You set a range of exposures so that each part of the scene is properly exposed in at least one of your shots. Then the software combines the images into one by using only the properly exposed pieces from each one. Then you have to tonemap it back down to a LDR (low dynamic range) image so that your monitor and/or print paper will be able to handle it.

Here's an example of 3 shots I took that had everything from dark shadows under the trees in the background to bright white clouds lit by the sun that was just about to set. There was some really golden light hitting things too. One image just wouldn't capture it all. Here are the 3 shots. First was the image I got when setting the exposure to what the camera's meter said was "right". The next two were +2 and -2 EVs off of the first one. The 4th one is what I got after running all 3 through Photomatix and then a little fine tuning in Photoshop. This one truly is closer to what my eyes saw at the moment than any of the others straight out of the camera. I'm sure it's not exactly accurate either, but it's closer to what my eyes saw.

Thank you for a great explanation Shane!

And thanks for the kind words, but building cooking hootuses is nothing up beside of them flys you tie, and much of the phototalent here! You can teach a monkey to weld.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #58
Sika
Pope & Young

Shane, that is an excellent example..nicely done! I too am fascinated by HDR and I would like to give it a try sometime. The human eye is so much better than a camera and HDR photography can bring out tonal quality in an image similar to what human eyes can see.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #59
Gerald S
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays County

I mess with HDR as well. Still haven't got it down the way you have, though. A lot of times I think people go to far with the HDR for my taste. What you have posted so far is, in my opinion, the perfect example of how HDR should be used. Good stuff, Shane.
Gerald S is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #60
Shane
Pope & Young

Thanks Sika and Gerald. That one came out OK. I have many more that are overdone. It's hard to find the right balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
You can teach a monkey to weld.
May be true, but monkeys couldn't build what you build.

I was welding in Ag class one day in high school, and it started feeling really warm. I lifted my helmet up and looked around. Everybody had wide eyes looking at me. I looked down and my flannel shirt that I had over my t-shirt was on FIRE!

I don't think God wanted me to weld.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:07 AM   #61
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

Today's photo shoot. Before and after from my world.

I crop, sharpen and make slight changes to bring out what I remember from each scene. Nothing RAW strictly JPEG output, a quick Picasa touch up to do what needs to be done. It's how I shoot.

I don't lean heavily on software, never have.....it's my style. Maybe one day I might lean on other formats but the world out there is simply enough for me......the old man upstairs is tough to beat.

I will need glasses one day. These sun shots are hard on the old eyes......no LCD display.....all aim, focus set and CLICK.

PEACE!

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before (Note the dust bunnies on this one. Cleaned it up and went literally with what the old man upstairs gave me).

After

Last edited by AtTheWall; 06-11-2008 at 12:13 AM.
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2008, 12:16 AM   #62
Jaspro
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheWall View Post
Before (Note the dust bunnies on this one. Cleaned it up and went literally with what the old man upstairs gave me).
Windex?
Jaspro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #63
Wildman
Pope & Young

Dale, I could only wish to be half the perfect man you are. I bet your mirror loves you.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2008, 07:53 AM   #64
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Dale, I could only wish to be half the perfect man you are. I bet your mirror loves you.
What's your problem?

I ask a question or two, fishing for some insight about a subject that I admittedly don't know much about, and you wanna take shots at me........ I apologize if something I said hit a little close to home.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #65
Sika
Pope & Young

Moving on...

Before - flat and washed out image. After - duplicated the layer and set the blend mode to Overlay, the contrast of the picture is turned up quite a bit.

Name:  peachesbefore.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  60.3 KB Name:  peachesafter.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  69.7 KB
Old 06-11-2008, 08:29 AM   #66
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Danny, let's keep the Photography forum free from that stuff that drags down the Around the Campfire and other forums. One thing I've enjoyed about this forum is that it has the "old" feel of positive feedback and encouragement without the backhanded, or direct, insults.

Michael
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #67
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Only Public Land :)

Do you have to be shooting in Raw format to get photoshop to produce the effects that yall are showing???

I cant figure out how to switch my EOS to Raw mode.
mesquitecountry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #68
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

JazzPro....nice stainless sink water shot Amigo!

I missed a few dust bunnies....just noticed them. It was way past my bed time when I worked on these pics. Photoshop 7 is what I lean on for pixel corrections (IE dust bunnies).

HDR stuff is pretty cool Shane and excellent work! I guess using bracket exposure, shoot in RAW, with a solid tripod, is probably the safest bet? I can imagine the amount of work involved with HDR software editing. I know it would greatly improve the light spectrum on panoramic shots. I have found compiling pan shots is challenging from frame to frame from the standpoint of light consistency as the pics swing through the light spectrum. I use my onboard light meter and match the readings dialing in F stops to do so. Even then, it's tough and a good handheld light meter would help greatly. Sure wished I could drop the money on a good light meter right now.

Camera companies are trying like crazy to improve HDR technology with the camera's onboard chip set. Increasing pixels without improving HDR technologies onboard isn't too smart. JPEG2000 isn't an option on my camera so RAW mode is the only way to go there. Hopefully in the next few years some of this technology will make things easier.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #69
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell Co., TX

If I do anything at all, it's usually related to brightness and contrast. I also sometimes just use the "auto adjust" in Photoshop Elements.

Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #70
Sika
Pope & Young

Quote:
Do you have to be shooting in Raw format to get photoshop to produce the effects that yall are showing???
No. Older versions of photoshop will not even read RAW files.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #71
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

Starting to get the hang of this editing thing now.

Before

Name:  bridgecolorresize2.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  52.8 KB

After

Name:  bridgecolorresize.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  55.3 KB

Question.

How do yall make the colors pop on the clouds like above??? Working with the saturation??
Old 06-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #72
Sika
Pope & Young

Looks like we lost a bunch of images on this thread...or is it just me?
Old 06-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #73
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Chuckster said he was making some changes to the site, and that some of the pics from the last few days may be missing for a while.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 06-11-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #74
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

My feeble attempt at cleaning up one of my favorites with Microsoft Picture It 10.

If anyone can take it further, don't be shy.

Attachment 41116

Attachment 41117

Last edited by Dale Moser; 10-20-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #75
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Travis in your camera's Menu 1 window, the first menu item is QUALITY. Select that and go into it's associated menu. What you probably want to do is select RAW/JPG @ High Quality. That selection is at the bottom of the QUALITY menu screen. It looks like:

RAW +L HIGH QUALITY

RAW file extensions are IMG_***.CR2 and jpeg are IMG_***.JPG

You also have a depth of field preview button, lower left bottom side of the lens base connector. It's located just below your REMOVE LENS button. Get used to pushing that guy when you frame your subject. It will blur out things in the foreground/background or bring things into sharp focus from near to infinity (up to you for final).

Another MENU feature on the 400D, that is well worth tweaking, is the PICTURE STYLE menu. In this particular menu, you can maximize sharpness, contrast and saturation elements. On my 350D, I have my sharpness and saturation elements maxed out. Reference pages 78 - 82 in your user manual and give some of these settings a try. Your 400D has a lot of very cool menu features and playing around with them will greatly improve the overall image resolution before you upload the images to your PC.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #76
Kevin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

I shoot all JPEG because I am lazy. I just bought a new 4GB extreme III CF card and plan to try out RAW my next outing.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #77
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

Quote:
Travis in your camera's Menu 1 window, the first menu item is QUALITY. Select that and go into it's associated menu. What you probably want to do is select RAW/JPG @ High Quality. That selection is at the bottom of the QUALITY menu screen. It looks like:

RAW +L HIGH QUALITY

RAW file extensions are IMG_***.CR2 and jpeg are IMG_***.JPG

You also have a depth of field preview button, lower left bottom side of the lens base connector. It's located just below your REMOVE LENS button. Get used to pushing that guy when you frame your subject. It will blur out things in the foreground/background or bring things into sharp focus from near to infinity (up to you for final).

Another MENU feature on the 400D, that is well worth tweaking, is the PICTURE STYLE menu. In this particular menu, you can maximize sharpness, contrast and saturation elements. On my 350D, I have my sharpness and saturation elements maxed out. Reference pages 78 - 82 in your user manual and give some of these settings a try. Your 400D has a lot of very cool menu features and playing around with them will greatly improve the overall image resolution before you upload the images to your PC.

Thanks alot Rob! I wondered what all those buttons are for! Man you can tell I'm a rook!
Old 06-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #78
sweldo73
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Augustine / Sabine Counties

Travis, I toyed around with your image to get a more dynamic sky and a golden glow to the bridge. Hope you don't mind.

Attachment 41123

Last edited by sweldo73; 03-24-2009 at 04:04 PM.
sweldo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #79
Wildman
Pope & Young

I am reading an article now on the HDR and it is a cool edit.

Travis, the jpg and raw edits are only the ability on the compression of the jpg from the raw. It is better to shoot your images in the raw format for that reason.

I can adjust my jpg fine images but notice that the noise seems to be more noticeable when shot in jpg other than raw.

Dale,

Here is a few for you that was a timed shot that has no edit to the original other than changing it to a jpg. These are "real" shots.

Sorry if I was off base earlier

Old 06-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #80
Sika
Pope & Young

I too have a couple of un-retouched images for Dale and the other photo-purists.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #81
Wildman
Pope & Young

That windmill shot is pretty cool Sika. A crop from the middle frozen stuff out to the edge with some movement on one side the the picture would be a good crop.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #82
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheWall View Post
HDR stuff is pretty cool Shane and excellent work! I guess using bracket exposure, shoot in RAW, with a solid tripod, is probably the safest bet? I can imagine the amount of work involved with HDR software editing. I know it would greatly improve the light spectrum on panoramic shots. I have found compiling pan shots is challenging from frame to frame from the standpoint of light consistency as the pics swing through the light spectrum. I use my onboard light meter and match the readings dialing in F stops to do so. Even then, it's tough and a good handheld light meter would help greatly. Sure wished I could drop the money on a good light meter right now.

Camera companies are trying like crazy to improve HDR technology with the camera's onboard chip set. Increasing pixels without improving HDR technologies onboard isn't too smart. JPEG2000 isn't an option on my camera so RAW mode is the only way to go there. Hopefully in the next few years some of this technology will make things easier.
Thanks Rob. You don't have to shoot RAW to do HDR. You can blend JPEGs or TIFFs or whatever too. Photomatix is what I'm using after trying some of the others. It's really very easy - definitely more to do than taking the JPEGs off the memory card, but not nearly as much as you'd think. You just put 2 or more pics in the start box and click OK. It thinks and processes for a bit, and then you get an HDR file. It looks like crap though, because it has much more dynamic range than our monitors can process. The next step is "tonemapping". That's where the software takes the HDR and puts it back into LDR (low dynamic range) so that we can view it on our monitors and/or print it on current paper, etc... There are a few sliders to play with in the tonemapping adjustment process. At first, that freaked me out, because I have no idea what some of them are doing. But I got to where I just move them around until I like what I see. I don't have to know what they're doing.

Like you say, this will all be obscelete when we get HDR sensors and monitors (and printers). Until then, it's a cool tool.

Shooting bracketed exposures doesn't necessarily require a tripod, but it's best. I've done several with a monopod and also handheld. Just set to continuous shooting mode, get a solid grip, and fire away. Photomatix even works to take out some of the blurriness that you get from movement. Kinda like a VR lens, I guess. It can't solve all the problems, but it helps a little.

Another thing you can do is a "pseudo HDR". Take just one image and set 2 or more different exposure or gamma adjustments in your editing software. Then you can blend those just like you would true multiple exposures. The "purists" are quick to point out that you are not working with a true HDR that way, but you can get similar results on the LDR end result.

This one shot HDR deal works well for shots of moving objects. Obviously, multiple exposures of a running deer are not going to work. You'll get ghosting where it would look like 3 ghost deer instead of 1 deer (on a 3-shot blend). Using only 1 shot solves that problem.

Anyway....lots of possibilities....

Last edited by Shane; 06-11-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #83
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquitecountry View Post
Question.

How do yall make the colors pop on the clouds like above??? Working with the saturation??
If you can use Photoshop's Camera RAW - which I just found out can work with JPEGs too!!! - you can use the Clarity slider. It will magically remove a lot of haze. Pretty cool.

Photoshop's shadow/highlight adjustment will work wonders on a sky sometimes too. It's almost like a little pseudo-HDR.

You can also use good ol' curve adjustments. I'm finding that instead of one big "S" curve for the entire image, sometimes an S curve for the darker areas on the left side of the histogram will adjust contrast on those colors and shades. And then another little mini-S curve at the right side where all the sky pixels are makes it pop. You can bring the blue sky pixels down a bit and the white cloud pixels up a bit, and that will get you some contrast just in the sky and really light areas.

Maybe that makes sense, I hope. I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but those are a couple of things I've stumbled on by just fiddling around with things.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #84
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

All,

Thanks for your help. Shane that makes alot of sense except you're over my head by about 3 foot. Does anyone know of a photoshop system that can do raw or jpeg and cost roughly 2-300 bucks??????

Sweldo,

No problem looks good.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #85
Gerald S
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays County

Travis-Your new camera came with the software to process the raw images. Pop that cd in and start playing. Lots of people use it and like it. Can't beat it for free.
Gerald S is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #86
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

As Gerald mentioned, you have Canon's Zoombrowser as part of your CD suite bundled with your camera. Upload all of your pics and then open up Zoombrowser and locate your new pics. It will open up jpegs and RAW files, side by side.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #87
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

Sweet free is good. Can it do cool stuff like the layering and putting peoples heads on other peoples bodies and changing the layering and coloring of different objects like clouds? I should probably stop boring yall with my questions and just start diving in. Just trying to cut off about 10 hours of learning curve.

I really appreciate all of the advice and help.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #88
Shane
Pope & Young

Travis, sorry for the mumbo jumbo. I thought you already had Photoshop. You can get Photoshop Elements for $100 or less, and it'll do most everything you need to do. I don't think it does HDR or anything, but it'll do most of the rest.

Also, like Rob said, Zoom Browser is good, and also Digital Photo Professional that came with your camera is a little more powerful. It works with RAW and JPEG. It has white balance adjustment for RAW. Also has sharpness, contrast, brightness, cropping, and the main adjustments, including curves. Curves is just a more fluid brightness/contrast adjustment deal. You just click on the straight diagonal line and drag a curve into it. Play around with that and see what happens. A steeper curve means more contrast.