Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
valverdehunter
Four Point

Default Houseboating on Lake Amistad

Thinking of getting another family together and renting a houseboat out of Rough Canyon marina for a few days. Any of yall done it? How'd you like it, where'd you anchor up, what'd it cost? I'll pull my bay boat behind it and use it to ski/explore/fish during the day. Do the houseboats have AC? Do you have a ph# for the houseboat rental at Rough Canyon? I'm thinking up going up the Devil's River and anchoring, very beautiful area. thanks for the help.
valverdehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead & Timpson

No help, but sounds AWESOME
TXHUNT3R is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
Big Todd
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Victoria

following along. We did it one year on tablerock up in Branson area.
Big Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
locknload
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton, Hamilton Counties

The area dosen't feel safe
locknload is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2015, 04:26 PM   #5
mmcwilliams
Nubbin' Buck

I was a kid last time I went, but we always anchored in Castle Canyon.
mmcwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
coy-ote
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit county

I,ve done it twice with friends and family first time it was 4 couples had a blast last time bout 15 years ago also great time but we also too a boat, one day most everyone took off on the smaller boat sightseeing we were playing Texas hold'em and my wife {then girlfriend was sunning on the top deck when we heard a jet drive boat pull into the cove we were anchored in and circled then left, a few minutes later we heard the boat come by but closer this time he couldn't see in the boat or my wife, he left again and then he came back idling up to our boat by this time I had my m4 in hand and waited to see what they wanted 3 occupants no numbers on the boat I could see just a go fast boat they got up to about 30 yds from the rear of the boat and I slid the rear door open with my weapon slung in the low ready and they muttered in espanol and left . they say no weapons allowed but my career says otherwise glad I was prepared they were up to no good for sure be safe and we were no where close to the border bouys
coy-ote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2015, 09:25 PM   #7
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by valverdehunter View Post
Thinking of getting another family together and renting a houseboat out of Rough Canyon marina for a few days. Any of yall done it? How'd you like it, where'd you anchor up, what'd it cost? I'll pull my bay boat behind it and use it to ski/explore/fish during the day. Do the houseboats have AC? Do you have a ph# for the houseboat rental at Rough Canyon? I'm thinking up going up the Devil's River and anchoring, very beautiful area. thanks for the help.
In for pricing.

Thought about a house boat to fish, bowhunt, and duck hunt Amistad, oct-jan. Armed security would be required.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2015, 08:11 AM   #8
bpa556
Eight Point

Hunt In: Terrell County

It's perfectly safe to enjoy Amistad. There is plenty of smuggling going on, but the smugglers know that it would be bad for business to interact negatively with the tourists. The increased LE scrutiny, coupled with fewer boats on the lake, would increase the likelihood of their detection and apprehension.

The housboats were stupid expensive last I looked (several years ago). I want to say they started around $750 per day (and go up from there) during spring/summer. That does not include fuel or provisions.
bpa556 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #9
KHoes203
Ten Point

Personally I would not be worried about it on Amistad yes be aware and ready just in case but other than that enjoy. I would really like to do something like that one of these days. Its an awesome fishery and I really want to get back down there to fish. If you go up river it would be a long haul for any unwanted guest to drive in not so great of boats to get close to you.
KHoes203 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
valverdehunter
Four Point

thanks for all the replies. I would think Devil's River would be pretty safe, but you bet, I'd be fully armed. If it's $750/day it may kill the deal.
valverdehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #11
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

Not sure about house boating, but we stopped at Amistad in December and it was super low.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #12
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by locknload View Post
The area dosen't feel safe
Yeah, ok....sure
Bowhuntamistad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #13
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Did it once and it was a nightmare.
Day one: Head out to parts unknown, found a nice site, anchored up. Took out for some wakeboarding. Came back and the generator on the house bout quit working. This was July and hot. So no A/C no fridge etc... Could not raise the marina by radio so drove my wakeboard boat all the way back to the marina. They sent out a repair crew. They worked on the generator for 4 hours. Till the sun went down. I made another run to marina bout all the ice they had so we could ice down food etc...Said they would be back bright and early next morning. Sweated my sack off all night while sleeping. 9 people on the boat all ******.
Day two: 10:00 am rolls around no mechanics. Got half way to marina see mechanics coming. They work on the generator for another 4 hours. They said had to take HB back to marina in order to fix it. Got to marina after 5:00pm no one around. Sweated my left one off all night. 9 people on boat all ******.
Day three: I go into office demand a refund tell them we are leaving. They convinced me to stay and would give us another HB. That did not happen until 4:00 that afternoon. Moved all our crap over to new boat and take off for parts unknown. Found a great campsite. Anchored down, had a nice meal, some fine scotch, good company. Turn in for the night.
Day four: its 2am I am awoken to the sound of a massive thunder storm and the sound of the HB crashing against the rocks. All I can think about is the clause in the contract that says you damage the hull you buy it. I am the only man on the boat. I have got to get this boat off the rocks. My anchors are holding but with the wind blowing so hard it stretched the ropes. Long and short is after and hour and half I got the ****ed thing off the rocks. Storm moves on, sun comes up beautiful day. Have a blast all day, have another great evening.
Day five: Time to leave. Crank motors pull anchors begin to back out and whack goes the propeller on the motor. I latch a ski rope to the HB and pull the biotch all the way back to the marina. Argues with office for an hour but got two days deducted from my bill.

With all that said I would do it again only on Lake Powel
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #14
TWOHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scrappin' Valley

I haven't been to Amistad, but we went last summer to Lake Ouitchita (sp??) in Arkansas and it was the best summer vacation for me.
I like the lake though.
We took the wakeboard boat so it was really neat to just be able to jump in the boat and enjoy the lake in a few seconds.
Very nice house boats up there that were well eqiupped, comfortable, ect....
Hope this helps..
TWOHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #15
texasduck
Six Point

Have a house close to the lake and have been fishing and playing on the lake for about 15 years. I have never had a problem from something from across the river. We fish on the Mexico side all the time and never any problems. Just my 2 cents. I would not hesitate to rent a house boat there. However I heard that Forever Resorts was not renting boats at Amistad anymore. Not for sure.
texasduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #16
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Did it and loved it. Crystal clear water and no one on the lake.
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2015, 03:19 PM   #17
CEO
Pope & Young

We did this when I was a teenager in the late 90's. Had an awesome time. There were some headaches for the adults but I didn't worry
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #18
one2bowhunt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robert Lee,TX

A group of us did this every year for the last several years and the guys I joined had been doing it for 15 plus years before I got in on it. It has it's goods and bads.
Goods; you are on the water away from every thing. The stars at night are amazing. You can drop a line from the deck and fish anytime you want. Or go for a swim just for the heck of it. If there is an area you know you want to fish you can get pretty close to that area and reduce your drive time to get there. Really is just a very cool and enjoyable experience.

Bads; VERY expensive!!!! I want to say we were paying somewhere around $3k per boat in the off season for 5 days on the water. ( we had 8 guys per boat, 2 boats) paying for the boat is one thing, then you have to pay there $9 per gallon fuel price to fill it back up. And no it doesn't get good fuel economy. It can be a huge pain in the arse to get it tied off. We had a certain cove we went to every year and would pull up to the bank and tie off as tight as we could to get it. If the wind ever got up we would always have to re tighten every thing down again. If you have an issue or forget something in the truck or need something from the store, it is always a long boat ride back to the dock. Cell service can be sketchy at times and pending on where you go and your phone can ping off the Mexico towers and your service provider will charge you for international service. Lastly they are boats that are rented out. If there could be something other than sinking go wrong we had it. Motor issues, generator issues potable water issues, black water issues you name it, over the years we had it. We finally stopped using the boats just because of the cost. But we do still go down there and just rent one of the trailer houses up on the hill. They are pretty nice as well but I really miss being able to go on the boats. Have fun in what ever you decide to do!!
one2bowhunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2015, 09:11 PM   #19
Charlie
Six Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

Unfortunately they don't rent any boats at Amistad anymore.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2015, 10:20 PM   #20
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Quote:
Unfortunately they don't rent any boats at Amistad anymore.
That's my understanding too...no more houseboat rentals on the lake. I enjoyed it when we did it with 3 other couples but I didn't enjoy the fact that they hadn't emptied the sewage tank and we filled it up the first night or that one AC unit wouldn't work after the first night or that the hot tub just wouldn't work.

But it was fun lol.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top