water trough for doves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water trough for doves

I've had this water trough up for about a month and put it out to attract doves. My place is above Del Rio and water is scarce. I have great dove hunting on this place mainly because it has lots of dove weed. Last winter while deer hunting I saw a hole in slab rock that was 1/2 the size of a trash can lid and had water in it. There must of been 75 doves around it and it got me to thinking about having a permanent water source for them (and deer, turkey, quail, etc). Deer have found it but it doesn't seem to be attracting doves and there are lots of them flying around. This weekend I spread some milo out around and near the trough hoping it makes a difference. I'm wondering if the white color is the problem. I put the rocks in there to give the doves more area to land on and cut down on the evaporation. What do you think, why aren't the doves taking advantage of it?
    Attached Files

The doves aren't that concentrated right now, they're scattered to pair up and nest, plus your dove weed probably won't start dropping seed for quite awhile. Have you put up a camera to count pairs and individuals through the day?

Comment

Your birds have probably naturally migrated. They will be back, and if it is a dry summer, I am sure the color of the trough will not be a problem.

Comment

It might be too tall. Dove like to land and walk to the water. Try burying it so that its flush with the ground.

Comment

I would try painting in gray/ brown to match the terrain around it

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter4l1fe View Post
            It might be too tall. Dove like to land and walk to the water. Try burying it so that its flush with the ground.
            Or just slope up to the trough with some rock or dirt. We did that for a trough at our place to allow the young turkeys to get to the water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5560l.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	24304806

Comment

water trough for doves

You have plenty of rocks to put around to camo it, I had one leak full up a 5 gallon bucket & was surprised how many birds was attracted to it , I bet it was only source in a mile
              Last edited by Sonnyboy; 05-12-2014, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I know the doves are paired up and will be nesting but they still have to drink and there's plenty flying around. There's no way I can bury it ground level due to all the subsurface and surface rock. I've thought of ramping up dirt and rock against it and still may try that but surely doves can land on the rocks in the water or the sides which are about 3" wide. Maybe all I have out there are government doves and it's too much trouble.

Comment

Try a mojo. Those things work well

seriously though just put up some dirt as previously stated. One season rolls around I don't think you will have the same problem.

Comment

might be a predator hanging around it, so it has them spooked to come in.

Comment

Th troughs on our place are white and taller than that and the doves use them all the time.....but they are in the greatest concentration in the fall of course. They'll use it come September..... Heck the doves use the bird bath in our backyard and that structure is much more accessible than the bird bath...

Comment

Working...
                      X