Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck bed fulla Osage

Hey guys,

So I finally got down to the ranch after a few weeks of chores and was able to remove an osage from the property.

Side note; I had a short-bar 2 stroke echo chainsaw that just puked trying to take care of this tree. After a little while I just had to axe it. I am absolutely wrecked today. My workout will be short and low impact.

Anyway, Several of the trunks remain unsectioned and drying down at the land, but I was able to get these pieces off the tree and in the truck. Now, I'm curious - what projects jump to mind from you DIY types? I wand to do some work with it but right now this wood is WET.

Thoughts?

-LaS

I'm not sure of any uses for it green off-hand, but I would anchor seal the ends asap!

Comment

JLP - what sealant would you use? Just outdoor paint or something else?

Comment

Its been slow work for me. Haven't had much time but this is what I have done with what I have.

Comment

I see one piece in that bed of that truck that if it were seemingly 2 ft longer would have been an incredible find for a bowyer.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
            I see one piece in that bed of that truck that if it were seemingly 2 ft longer would have been an incredible find for a bowyer.
            Hey Swamp - I'm pretty sure there are 1 or 2 pieces down there that will make decent stave pieces. I just didn't have it in me after going to town on that tree for 2 hours to load them up. Plan is to get them to a safe place to dry in the next week or so. I definitely had this idea as well. Does osage make decent limbs for recurves?

Comment

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
              Hey Swamp - I'm pretty sure there are 1 or 2 pieces down there that will make decent stave pieces. I just didn't have it in me after going to town on that tree for 2 hours to load them up. Plan is to get them to a safe place to dry in the next week or so. I definitely had this idea as well. Does osage make decent limbs for recurves?
              I'm not sure about recurve limbs. I see it used a lot in laminate bows for the riser, but can't recall off the top of my head if I have seen it as a wood for recurves. If it is, I'd assume it is more for the veneer. Now for a selfbow, osage is pretty much King! But the straighter the better... which was the log I see at the bottom of the pile. I am by no means anywhere near an expert on that. In fact I haven't completed an osage bow yet.

As far as sealing the ends, you can use titebond or anything waxy like that... not straight paint I don't believe. I sealed my staves that I was given with elmers glue.

here is a good video on osage (harvesting, splitting, sealing...)
              http://www.amazon.com/Traditional-archery-hunting-traditional-bowhunting-ebook/dp/B00I2CPZTY/ref=zg_bs_159849011_3A trip home for the holidays led to a pile ...

Comment

I've used Osage for both longbows and recurves. Those pieces look way too narrow and gnarly, though. Those smaller pieces are good for turning if you're into that. Otherwise, you can use it for tool handles or knife handles. Or you could use it for a club.

Comment

I'm not sure about recurve limbs. I see it used a lot in laminate bows for the riser, but can't recall off the top of my head if I have seen it as a wood for recurves. If it is, I'd assume it is more for the veneer. Now for a selfbow, osage is pretty much King! But the straighter the better... which was the log I see at the bottom of the pile. I am by no means anywhere near an expert on that. In fact I haven't completed an osage bow yet.

As far as sealing the ends, you can use titebond or anything waxy like that... not straight paint I don't believe. I sealed my staves that I was given with elmers glue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiwt8edIZuw
                  Thanks for the video, Swamp. Is this you, by chance?

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                  I've used Osage for both longbows and recurves. Those pieces look way too narrow and gnarly, though. Those smaller pieces are good for turning if you're into that. Otherwise, you can use it for tool handles or knife handles. Or you could use it for a club.
                  Aw, that makes me sad. Hopefully some of the truck pieces I left will be suitable at least for risers? What should I be looking at to see if the wood is suitable?

Comment

Aw, that makes me sad. Hopefully some of the truck pieces I left will be suitable at least for risers? What should I be looking at to see if the wood is suitable?
                    Sam makes a good point about log thickness... you can see that in Clay's video. And nope, I am not Clay. Wish I had his talent for making selfbows though.

Honestly, I will say that I have always wanted an osage walking stick. You just can't beat the strength and color of the wood.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Possibly. I would say at a minimum you'd want to be able to make a 1.5" x 1.5" x 18" block of wood for a longbow riser. Of course you can always stack wood for risers to get more thickness. But it needs to be at least 18" long. Some people make risers as short as 16", but an inch on either end helps in case there's any checking.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiwt8edIZuw
                        Can you use paraffin wax like you find in a grocery store?

Comment

Working...
                        X