How to consistantly get a good release.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to consistantly get a good release.

If you would like to try my way for obtaining a consistently good release, try this: Take your bow and an arrow and stand before a mirror. WITHOUT nocking the arrow on the string, take your stance facing the mirror and come to full draw. You will notice that your drawing arm elbow is still slightly forward. In other words it's not quite in line. Now contract your back muscles and expand your chest and pull your elbow into line. Do it a few times to get the feel and procedure down. Now go outside to your target and try it. You will find that when you expand your chest and contract your back and pull the elbow into line you will automatically release the string. You simply cannot hold it. This will cause you to pull through the shot every time as opposed to collapsing on release. Your arrows will fly faster and probably print higher on the target until you adjust. It feels different than the way you have been shooting, no doubt about it. It's also harder to do than it sounds, but once you have it down I think it will help your shooting. It did mine. Moe

Good advice Moe. How the heck you been buddie. Long time no see.

Comment

Good advice. Good alignment is something that many traditional bowhunters have never been taught to achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
        Good advice. Good alignment is something that many traditional bowhunters have never been taught to achieve.
        Yep, good stuff.

Comment

Good advice, indeed!

Where ya been, Moe? I hope all is well on your end of the world!

Bisch

Comment

Great tip Moe. Thank you!

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm fine but very busy with music stuff and helping run a night club. I still shoot most every day in my yard and of course I hunt a lot. Stuck a good doe a few weeks back but she got away in rough terrain and I never found her. Not that much blood. I think I hit her high so maybe she's ok. We play every Wednesday night at The Flamingo Cantina (515 E. 6th. St. in Austin) and admission is always free. Come see us or maybe I'll make a shoot or two this year. Moe PS the best thing I can say about my release method is that it works.....

Comment

That is a great reminder Moe - thanks. My most common reoccurring form flaw is collapsing. It starts to happen so gradually I don't notice it until I'm doing it so badly it shortens my draw length enough to make the arrows start to fly funny - like they are too stiff. If I remember to expand my chest I release much cleaner and at the proper draw length. I'll try doing it in front of the mirror - sounds like a good idea
                Last edited by jerp; 11-26-2013, 12:55 PM.

Comment

I find that when using this method the release is always somewhat of a surprise. In the fine book "Zen In The Art of Archery" the author describes the perfect release as being like snow sliding off a leaf. It's kind of like that.

Comment

When you do this in front of the mirror do you use your full hand to hold the string? I guess I am just confused that if the idea is you can't hold the string, wouldn't you be dry firing in front of the mirror?

Comment

Don't dry fire. Just draw in front of the mirror, check your back arm position and let down easy.

Comment

Goods stuff. I just wish I could draw my longbow.

Matt

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Simply put the arrow on the shelf without nocking it, then draw the arrow without pulling the string at all. It's just to show you how your arm is at full draw. You will be able to see that it's not in line. You will also be able to practice the motion of tensing the back muscles and pulling the elbow into line. THEN go out and fire arrows using that technique.
                            Last edited by moe monsarrat; 11-26-2013, 09:05 PM.

Comment

This is my biggest form flaw. If I could master this you all would be in trouble at the tourneys. I just am retarded in this way. To know your flaws and not be able to overcome them is frustrating to say the least. I accept my short comings and continue to enjoy the sport I love though. Happy thanksgiving .

Comment

Working...
                              X