Phatheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phatheads

Has anyone tried the Steelforce PhatHead Single Bevel Screw-In Broadheads?

I've tried the double bevel ones with good success but switched over to the Mike Palmer head after less than thrilling blood trails.

The Palmer head is just an over-sized Muzzy Phantom and has a 1 7/16th cut. Its made by Muzzy.

Most will say that your not going to get as good of penetration etc with such a big head as compared to 2 blades like the Steel force and Grizzly, and I agree.

But this head will give you plenty of penetration and massive holes that won't close so bloodtrails aren't a problem with no exit hole.

Ive also found that with almost 6 inches of blades thrashing around inside the animal, this head trashes their internals beyond belief.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
      I've tried the double bevel ones with good success but switched over to the Mike Palmer head after less than thrilling blood trails.

The Palmer head is just an over-sized Muzzy Phantom and has a 1 7/16th cut. Its made by Muzzy.
      Where do you find these?

And I agree with your assessment of 2-blade blood trails. I almost quit using the GK heads because of crappy blood trails until they came out with the 1 1/2" wide XL model.

IMO, if you are going to use a 2 blade head, you should use the widest head you can consistently get 2 holes with!

Bisch
      Last edited by Bisch; 12-15-2013, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I should have added that these are for use by my wife. She's only pulling about 38 lbs at 25". We are doing a pig/javvie hunt at the end of Jan. I don't think she'll get adequate penetration with a wider head. My research indicates that single bevels tend to leave bigger holes than double bevels so I thought we would try these.

I used to shoot the 1 1/2" wide 2 blade magnus heads and was less than thrilled with the penetration I got with them. I took several animals with them including several African antelope and the bison in my avatar.

Comment

With this added info, I would say the Phathead would do fine, as long as you got it as sharp as possible (but that would go for any broadhead)!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            Where do you find these?

And I agree with your assessment of 2-blade blood trails. I almost quit using the GK heads because of crappy blood trails until they came out with the 1 1/2" wide XL model.

IMO, if you are going to use a 2 blade head, you should use the widest head you can consistently get 2 holes with!

Bisch
            Just give them a call. Nancy will help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              With this added info, I would say the Phathead would do fine, as long as you got it as sharp as possible (but that would go for any broadhead)!

Bisch
              I agree as well, that might be to little weight.

Comment

Working...
              X