Turkey Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Season

Who's getting ready for turkey season? I've hunted with shotgun last three seasons, and decided to go bow only this season. Just thinking about it gets me excited.

Share your tips on shot placement, broad heads, calling, etc.

I was just talking with my "guide" ClayW about it.

I need a month to rest up (lol) but thunderchicken season is certainly on the horizon. He's challenged/shamed me into killing all my turkeys this year over decoys with a bow again instead of moving back to the shotgun . So I guess that's my goal..

Here are some shot placement pics I have used for reference in my past ....I usually just shoot slick trick mags.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey shot placement chart 2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	24526363

Name:	turkey_vitals_skeleton_muscles_organs_nbe.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	24526364

Name:	turkeyvitalsidahosportsman.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	24526365

Name:	IMG_1576.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	24526366

Name:	IMG_1577.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	24526367
    Last edited by Smart; 01-08-2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

I'm hoping to get after them on public land!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

I used a nap spitfire gobbler getter on my bird. My next ones I’m just going to use a rage, or rage turkey head

Comment

I’ve been bow only for my last several birds. It’s much more fun ! Smart‘s pics show where to hit. I use Rocket Aeroheads but any large cut mech will give you a slight edge IMO. That said, I’ve killed a bunch while deer hunting with Muzzy, Strikers, etc.

Comment

I’ll be ready. Both shotgun and bow this year. Thanks for those placement pics Smart. Always helps to refresh the memory. My favorite animal to hunt.

Comment

One day, I might chase them with a bow, but I swear turkeys were made to be shot in the face with a shotgun.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

This is what I came up with. It works awesome! Set a hen decoy at about 15 yards I set in a low to the ground collapsible chair. I turn my bow down a few cranks so I can draw smooth and shoot them in the head. I've used ramcatt
                Rages and the Magnus bullheads. I just set up with some brush behind me and when the gobbler comes in i just keep the fan between me and him. Has worked great on several birds the last few years. Just pick up a clamp from a hardware store and use an old turkey fan.. Good luck!
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mikey2 View Post
                  This is what I came up with. It works awesome! Set a hen decoy at about 15 yards I set in a low to the ground collapsible chair. I turn my bow down a few cranks so I can draw smooth and shoot them in the head. I've used ramcatt
                  Rages and the Magnus bullheads. I just set up with some brush behind me and when the gobbler comes in i just keep the fan between me and him. Has worked great on several birds the last few years. Just pick up a clamp from a hardware store and use an old turkey fan.. Good luck!
                  That's awesome

Comment

Originally posted by mikey2 View Post

Now that is bad ***!!

Comment

Wanted to try my hand at it this year. Now sure if I want bow or gun. I see y’all keep mentioning fixed blades. My question is will mechanicals like grim reapers work on turkey or if fixed better?

Comment

Don't have enough to hunt on my lease but do have two weekend invites to hunt other places.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Now that is bad ***!!
                          X3. Great idea!

Comment

Crappie next, then turkey.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke1227 View Post
                              Crappie next, then turkey.
                              I like the way you think!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk