buying native brush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying native brush

I've got some spots along a fence line that I want to thicken up so people cant see across the fence so easily. This place is outside of Corpus and we don't have the great brush that you can find around webb county etc. I've tried transplanting brush, but its such a pain in the butt to dig up most of the time because of the way it normally grows. Its hard to find the root ball with out chopping it all up and trying to do that a few dozen times just takes to much time.

So I was wondering if anybody had leads to where I can buy some potted native brush. I want good deer stuff along with some white brush for extra cover. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have the same issue but in Bastrop County. I have straight sand that goes down 10+ feet. I haven’t figured out what would grow the fastest or best, but I am in for advice.

Comment

How about Texas Sage?

Comment

There's a place I Kerrville that sells some. I bet there's a chapter of the Texas native plant society close to you, they should have some info.

Comment

You can get sage brush anywhere up and down the roads down south. Just make sure you have a lookout with you.

Comment

You can get sage brush anywhere up and down the roads down south. Just make sure you have a lookout with you
            funny, about a month ago I was driving down a lonely caliche road in Duval county and spotted a single sage bush by its self on the edge of the road. It wasn't very big and I was just curious if I could pull it out and put it in a container that I had in the bed of the truck...... wrong. That **** thing seemed welded to the road. I pulled and dug for a while and finally gave up, I figured if somebody was watching I made them laugh enough

Comment

Call a few of your local nurseries and they should be able to assist.
              If not able to get you what you need at least they should know exactly what's native and what will thrive in your area

Comment

My first thought was sage. But whitebrush is crazy thick

I would also fertilize the heck out of whatever is there.
                Just need a bunch of rain.

BP

Comment

In Kansas they are planting cedar along fence lines to keep the road shooters at bay. Not salt cedar for sure but the native species for the Midwest...grows quick and is thick

Comment

I tried to find some native brush a few years ago with No success.
                    All I can tell you is the blackbrush, mesquite and others are full of beans/seeds right now.
                    You may have to "score" them to get them to come up.
                    Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Catarina View Post
                      I've got some spots along a fence line that I want to thicken up so people cant see across the fence so easily. This place is outside of Corpus and we don't have the great brush that you can find around webb county etc. I've tried transplanting brush, but its such a pain in the butt to dig up most of the time because of the way it normally grows. Its hard to find the root ball with out chopping it all up and trying to do that a few dozen times just takes to much time.

So I was wondering if anybody had leads to where I can buy some potted native brush. I want good deer stuff along with some white brush for extra cover. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
                      Lowes sells a lot of native trees and brush seriously, they do

Comment

Check out a Texas Lilac, also called a Chaste Tree. Grows like a weed and is actually really pretty when it blooms. Biggest ones I’ve seen are 10-12 feet high and 12-15 feet wide. We planted this one next to our pool last year and it survived Harvey and the hard freezes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll second the Texas Lilac. Between that and the texas sage it's a very hearty native bush that needs little attention besides the occasional pruning during the fall/winter.

Comment

If your looking for some red color look at the bottle brush plant. Both the regular and dwarf variety are beautiful in full bloom (spring and summer), require little attention and are great for pollinators.

Comment

Working...
                            X