Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bee County Co-Op Deer Pellets 20% vs. Double Down Deer Feed - Side by Side experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
    So is it still the goal for it to be a supplement or the herds primary ration for the day?

The goal is to fill the gaps in what the deer need depending on what is available to them in nature. The goal, mine anyway, is to keep their daily average protein intake as high as possible. If their daily intake naturally is 10% protein, then I hope they eat as much of my protein as possible. If their daily intake is 16+ percent protein naturally, then it’s not that big of a deal.
    For me, feeding in Terrell County, it’s a much bigger factor to my herds health as in really dry years you can see the deer being thin. For some it may not be that big of an addition. To each his own.

I personally want my deer to eat as much protein as they can swallow each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
      The goal is to fill the gaps in what the deer need depending on what is available to them in nature. The goal, mine anyway, is to keep their daily average protein intake as high as possible. If their daily intake naturally is 10% protein, then I hope they eat as much of my protein as possible. If their daily intake is 16+ percent protein naturally, then it’s not that big of a deal.
      For me, feeding in Terrell County, it’s a much bigger factor to my herds health as in really dry years you can see the deer being thin. For some it may not be that big of an addition. To each his own.

What do you realistically think you are going to gain in inches in Terrell County with your feed program?

Comment

What do you realistically think you are going to gain in inches in Terrell County with your feed program?

Even if I gain one inch I am happy. I have a herd of deer that eat daily, a dozen or so javelina, and 8-9 grey fox.....not to mention countless birds. Everything on my game cameras are fat and happy. I am a HUNTER and an ANIMAL LOVER at the same time. Makes me smile every game cam pic I see from out there and every animal that walks out when I hunt. I do my part and leave the rest to God. Inches will come as they will.... they won’t if they don’t get to eat.

Comment

I guess I missed it when very high consumption rates were the goal of a supplemental feed program. Isn’t that more the goal of a feed lot?
          YES, the whole and only advantage to feeding DD is their consumption rate, essentially turning them into livestock standing at a feeder.
          But, this has been the goal of most ST ranches for many years, so hats off to Dilley Feed & grain. They got it figured out. It is a Great Livestock feed. It would probably grow some super fat goats and cattle too, but ranchers ain't gonna pay $480/ton.

Like I told you before Black Gold, the deer are going to eat way more DD. Mark my words.

Comment

Feed DD, case closed.
            Plus your deer will all be sleeping in the feed pen when you show up opening morning.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
              Feed DD, case closed.

Plus your deer will all be sleeping in the feed pen when you show up opening morning.

They do that now with L&E.....

Comment

They do that now with L&E.....

Comment

Originally posted by Herbie View Post
                  I use whole cotton seed. No smell. Hogs don’t like it. More protein than most commercial products.
                  Problem with this is the deer are missing out on the minerals (big deal) that protein pellets provide. We feed both pellets and cotton seed, but sprinkle in minerals with our cotton seed, forcing the deer to eat the cotton seed with minerals.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                    It’s nice that you got free bags of feed, but this test is severely flawed. Just chalk it up for what it is...you got free feed out of the deal but you want be able to make any reliable conclusions based on this test.

Comment

Ur the guy on the Protein Pellet Ingredient (TDN%) post who says he feeds the lowest TDN/cheapest feed available (MG) because you can't afford better feed.

Your quote:

I can't afford $13 a bag on a low fence place. Not when we have 2 1000# protein feeders.

With that mindset, not sure why you care which feed shows to be preferred and why you take the time to critique so professionally the way I chose to compare the 2....

[emoji848]
                      [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

I have no problem with you doing whatever test you want to do. Just not sure how accurate one would be with feed piled on the ground. Too many factors - coons, birds, etc. Also, even though you have cameras out, that is not enough feed to determine much - those two small piles most likely were gone in a couple of days at best.

My guess is that the truth is there is not enough difference in all of the top feeds to make a difference. Feed any of the top 3-4 and your deer will do well

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
                          I have no problem with you doing whatever test you want to do. Just not sure how accurate one would be with feed piled on the ground. Too many factors - coons, birds, etc. Also, even though you have cameras out, that is not enough feed to determine much - those two small piles most likely were gone in a couple of days at best.

My guess is that the truth is there is not enough difference in all of the top feeds to make a difference. Feed any of the top 3-4 and your deer will do well

You are probably 100% correct.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                            YES, the whole and only advantage to feeding DD is their consumption rate, essentially turning them into livestock standing at a feeder.
                            But, this has been the goal of most ST ranches for many years, so hats off to Dilley Feed & grain. They got it figured out. It is a Great Livestock feed. It would probably grow some super fat goats and cattle too, but ranchers ain't gonna pay $480/ton.

Like I told you before Black Gold, the deer are going to eat way more DD. Mark my words.
                            Mine would be a lot easier to kill if they were livestock and standing at the feeder. I wouldn't have to spend Jan & Feb chasing the last few culls/management bucks on the list every year!

Not much info to gain from this test but another chance to fire up the most controversial topic on this board. Maybe we should mention/discuss how great the 6.5 creedmoor is?

There's been lots of consumption comparisons done and almost all of them result in DD winning out. Pray for rain, Maverick County has an umbrella over it!! Protein and cottonseed consumption rates are crazy right now!

Comment

Originally posted by B&C View Post
                              Mine would be a lot easier to kill if they were livestock and standing at the feeder. I wouldn't have to spend Jan & Feb chasing the last few culls/management bucks on the list every year!

Not much info to gain from this test but another chance to fire up the most controversial topic on this board. Maybe we should mention/discuss how great the 6.5 creedmoor is?

There's been lots of consumption comparisons done and almost all of them result in DD winning out. Pray for rain, Maverick County has an umbrella over it!! Protein and cottonseed consumption rates are crazy right now!
                              Ok, I will help you out.
                              Feed unlimited DD all year. Cut it back to timed in the morning and evening during hunting season. They should all be there when the feeder goes off.
                              FYI, I KNOW how well fed South Texas ranches are to hunt. Tame deer!!!

Same goes for cattle, goats and All other livestock. Just honk your horn when you pull into the pasture.
                              They will get "trained" and come up ever time.
                              Last edited by bukkskin; 05-15-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Finally made it back out west to get the side xside comparison results. In a 5 day period, 42 deer were photographed eating from the Double Down pile while 26 deer were photographed eating from the Bee County Co-Op pile. At the end of the 5 days, there was still approximately 50% of the Bee County Feed on the pile and very little of the Double Down left.

The protein feeder in the background that contained over a thousand pounds of equal amounts of Double Down, Lyssey and Eckel, and Bee County was completely drained in 21 days.

These are my honest results.....take them for what they are worth to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X