Shallow water boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
    They're not...great skinny water boats but will beat you in chop like most skinny water boats. Its going to be hard to find one that will run in 6 in and still handle the rough water. I would check out the Shoalwater cat and the Haynie cat. I personally would go with the Haynie just because I know Chris snd the boys will take care of any problems. Also their service department is top notch. I am not a fan of the tunnel v style bosts like the exolores and shallow stalkers...they can run skinny and the v handles chop pretty good but have been known to spin out tossing people from the boat.
    Not the mention the tunnel V's are slow and not very fuel efficient. I second looking into the Haynie or shoalwater cats. I ran a Haynie Z21 for a couple and I'm about to place an order for a Haynie 24 HO. Like stated above Chris and the boys at Chris's Marine are a great bunch of folks to deal with.

Comment

No boat will do everything perfect. It's a give or take type of deal. I don't care what some people claim, but a boat that will run in 6" will not handle true rough water very well. Not to mention, rough water is a very relative term. I mean, there's is a night and day difference between running accross a shallow south Texas bay system as compared to running across Galveston bay. There's a reason why the average boat out of Galveston is a v-hull or modified v-hull type of craft, which is very much the opposite as compared to South Texas.

It really depends on where you want to fish the most. Select your craft based on what you plan on doing the most.

Comment

Originally posted by cwittttt View Post
        In the game for a new boat. Want something that will run skinny but won't rattle my teeth out crossing the bay's. What do yall have out there and give me some REAL world numbers as to what you can run/drift in.
        I have a Ranger Banshee, pretty stable, a little heavier than most "Poling" skiffs, but very comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
          No boat will do everything perfect. It's a give or take type of deal. I don't care what some people claim, but a boat that will run in 6" will not handle true rough water very well. Not to mention, rough water is a very relative term. I mean, there's is a night and day difference between running accross a shallow south Texas bay system as compared to running across Galveston bay. There's a reason why the average boat out of Galveston is a v-hull or modified v-hull type of craft, which is very much the opposite as compared to South Texas.

It really depends on where you want to fish the most. Select your craft based on what you plan on doing the most.
          you should believe anyone named Captain Dave.

All the skinny boats mentioned are nice also the El Pescador. My next boat may be a Haynie just the HO/Magnum variety

Comment

I have a v hull Shoalwater that runs pretty shallow and handles rough water easy. I've had a bunch of boats and this one by far is the one I like the most. Good luck finding the right one, there's lots of excellant boats out there.

Comment

Most of these Texas shallow boats, weigh over 1200 lbs dry. Add a big outboard which weighs anywhere from 600 - 800lbs and you are pushing 2000lbs of boat in a 20 - 24ft length.

I'm 800 lbs dry 1200lbs loaded. My 4-stroke Yamaha 70hp weighs 350lbs, about 100+lbs lighter than any other engine in the medium power range class. Overall boat weight, in a shallow water boat, means a ton if you really want to move easily through shallow water. It also means better fuel economy, longer trolling motor life and easier push pole management.

If you have 6 inch sand bars and mud flats to get over, in a poling flats boat, you pole over freely, floating cleanly the entire time. If you get the wind right, you line up a drift and float over nice and quietly, clearing into running water on the down fetch side, and fire back up and run.

In Baffin, I simply line up the wind, raise the engine and float over rocks and such around the badlands, where other boats are holding off outside

Poling in 6 - 7 inches here, working up and over rocks and crap in Baffin, lining up the wind for crab deep drift down fetch. The prevailing SE wind is quartering in over my shoulder providing forward thrust, making slight adjustments working the Temple Fork Outfitters Graphite push pole. Fishing this way is a freaking BLAST!

A few moments later, a Baffin speck in about a foot of water.

Comment

Love these boats. Don't love drooling on keyboard.

Comment

Here's Rack in Port Mansfield, working topwaters in probably 10 inches of water. Between him and I and the beer on board, we had the old skiff loaded down. The Port Mansfield locals stopped and poled and or anchored down along the edge of this particular flat. It got TOO SKINNY for them to cross into this little zone we fished. So with that crowd lined up wading the edge of that super skinny sandbar behind us, we drift freely riding the wind and out into a super shallow expansive flat out front - fishing with cold beer and casting topwaters in SKINNY AQUA!

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                    Here is our cat.

[ATTACH]711011[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]711012[/ATTACH]

Siggggggghhhhhhhhh. I want one of these.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                      They're not...great skinny water boats but will beat you in chop like most skinny water boats. Its going to be hard to find one that will run in 6 in and still handle the rough water. I would check out the Shoalwater cat and the Haynie cat. I personally would go with the Haynie just because I know Chris snd the boys will take care of any problems. Also their service department is top notch. I am not a fan of the tunnel v style bosts like the exolores and shallow stalkers...they can run skinny and the v handles chop pretty good but have been known to spin out tossing people from the boat.
                      I've never seen one spin out, I know if you get up on plane and you turn sharp your tunnel can run dry and you can drop off of plane but I cant imagine how hard you have to be turning because when we are running hard getting to a spot in a tournament we've cut it pretty sharp on plane and never had an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
                        I've never seen one spin out, I know if you get up on plane and you turn sharp your tunnel can run dry and you can drop off of plane but I cant imagine how hard you have to be turning because when we are running hard getting to a spot in a tournament we've cut it pretty sharp on plane and never had an issue.
                        We were running in my buddies Majek Texas Slam running into Pringle Lake from the north side when we lost sight of the pvc marker in the morning sun. He cut the boat hard left trying to stay in the channel which is roughly 2 ft deep and we lost plane up on the flat. The boat did a 180 a the motor killed when it stuck in the bottom. Talk about pucker factor.

Comment

How deep are your pockets?

Check out video at the top.

Comment

New Water Curlew
                            Drafts legit 5" with full tank - runs quite a bit skinnier
                            Every boat is a compromise in some aspect - I feel like the curlew is the best boat for the texas flats - you can pole it easily, will run 35+ MPH, not built for chop but with 8'5" beam it handles it fine, can comfortably fit 4 adults, and will run and get up in spit. Made just south of San Antonio.
                            Amazing boat.

Comment

First of all figure out what bay system you will be fishing. Add in the variable of your price range rather it be new or used. You can continue to narrow down to the size and style. A lot of the Texas boat builders are solid boats. Most of them will run on plane in less than 18" of water some a lot less. Once you get your list shortened take a ride in a few of your top picks if you have access to them. Now days boat prices are getting crazy. You can go from mild to wild with accessories and such. Some are made mainly for 2 people to fish tournaments and others are more suitable for fishing with a group. I have run explorers, majeks, el pescadors, trans, and now have a shoalwater. They all do certain things better than the other. None do everything excellent no matter what the salesman tells you. You have to find a happy medium. Its like finding the right prop. The speed props are terrible out the hole and the hole shot props are slower on top end. You have to find a balance you can live with.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                                Better picture.

[ATTACH]711014[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]711015[/ATTACH]

Niiiiiiiiiiice ride!! and color..

Comment

Working...
                                X