Raising Rabbits Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raising Rabbits Thread

Hey folks. I know some of y'all are experts in just about everything. If you have experience raising rabbits for meat, please post up your advice, suggestions, pics, videos, etc.

We are looking to start with rabbits and chickens soon. I've been overdosing on the chicken websites but not finding as much on rabbits.

Can y'all give your input on:
    • breeds
    • hutch design
    • issues with heat and cold
    • food
    • butchering techniques
    • recipes
    • varmint control
    • automated food/waterers
    • anything else important

Thanks.

you would need to talk to my wife...her grand pa used to raise to eat them...some of the FFA folks can answer more....maybe call your daughters school and ask if any student raises any...

Comment

Chew, my uncle lives in Centerville and has raised rabbits for over 20 years. I can give you his info if you'd like. He owns a Circle T Reality rt in town, you could even stop by and talk to him.

Comment

I used to raise them as a kid, but not anymore.

Butchering... A hammer to start with, or a nail on a board, hit them on the back of the head, skin them, and then slow cook them in a crockpot with some chicken stock for about 6 hours and the meat falls off the bone. Shred the meat and be sure to remove all of the small bones.

For varmint control, elevated cages - higher than waist high, with small screen door wire inside. Ours were square stock with a tin roof and screen wire.

Comment

A friend of mine is raising chickens and rabbits on Longleaf (off Mills Branch). Let me know if you would like to meet him and see his operation.

Comment

Raising Rabbits Thread

My family has raised rabbits for years. If I were you I would go with Californians. Cold shouldn't be an issue as long as they aren't having babies during the cold. Heat is an issue. You will need some way to keep them reasonably cool in the summer. A swamp cooler is what we used.

We used wire cages that were suspended from the rafters. Then we put axle grease on the suspended wires to keep fire ants from getting to the cages.

Comment

There's a great book titled "raising rabbits the modern way" by Robert Bennett.
              New Zealands are probably the most popular breed for meat.
              You want all wire cages. They can take a lot of cold but no drafts. For extreme heat they need a fan and they won't breed well in summer. I kept mine in an old renovated chicken house so no problem with predators.
              Some people use automatic pvc waterers but it depends on the size of your operation. I always used large dripper type water bottles.
              As far as butchering, the best method I found was to use one hand over the hocks, one around the neck with your fingers under the throat; stretch them out and pop your thumb on the neck. I found it to be the most humane way to quickly dispatch them.

Good luck, it's a great hobby and i highly recommend reading the book.

Comment

Dog killer might chime in he has rabbits

Comment

Ask Hugh

Comment

I ran a 100 doe operation back in the 80's and 90's. Would load a goose neck down with about 2000 bunnies every two weeks and carry them to Gonzolas TX. Cold is not a problem for them it's the heat that takes the tole on them. New Zealand's are the best for commercial operation. All wire cages suspended is best way to go, any wood will have problems with mites, especially ear mites. I had 2 plastic 55 gallon drums at above cages used as water tower then pvc pipe ran with automatic water spouts. Have to hand feed due to constantly changing because of adjusting to growing bunnies or lactating does, you do not want to leave excess feed out, it needs to be eaten up completely at each feeding. Any questions just pm me and I'll help all I can, they can be fun but it's a full time 7 day a week job taking care of them. I still have cages and feeders if you are interested, haven't checked on shape they are in now though.

Comment

Raising Rabbits Thread

Thanks guys. Good info!
                      Last edited by Chew; 01-02-2015, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Keep your varmints and predators away...you will get visit from raccoon, opossums, foxes, bobcats, coyotes, neighbors dogs/cats, owls and hawks.

Lost many a chickens to hawks and foxes.

Comment

Are you going g to do this in your spare time?

We might start with chickens when move to the farm full time

Comment

New Zealand's and Californians are the most popular meat breeds. There are also heritage breeds if you want to go that route too.

Comment

Had over a hundred doe as a kid and it was a good paying operation but also a FULL TIME JOB, you can't treat it like a hobby or you'll lose all your stock pretty darn quick..

Comment

Working...
                              X