No announcement yet.

Penetration test on a 30 gallon plastic drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgot to mention that arrow actually has 400 grains up front, with the 100-grain brass insert that the 225-grain broadhead with 75-grain screw-in adapter are screwed into. FOC % is around 26%, as I recall -- not quite Ultra High FOC, but is Extreme FOC.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, I had it figured right.

Rick
      Last edited by RickBarbee; 02-08-2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
        If that is the JW bow, then it is 69# at 27".

I know because my son used to shoot it, and his draw is exactly 27"

Here's what I figure your specs are:

I'm guessing you have a 100gr brass insert to hit that weight.

Draw weight 69# @ 27"

Total arrow weight - 678gr

FOC is high at - 27.9%

AWESOME !!!

Rick
        Thanks for the correct details, Rick. And yes it is the Weathers bow. I'm on the road to Arkansas to watch my son's college baseball team Univ. of Neb. - Kearney (he's a pitcher). So, kinda hard to communicate. Stopped for gas now, btw.

Great idea you had about this test!

Comment

Thanks for doing it BroEllis.
          Just that much more comparisons to discuss.

Rick

Comment

I was going to try this until I saw how much weight you guys are pulling - I'm afraid with my 50# "girly bow" the arrow might just bounce off! - that would be a confidence killer for sure

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              I was going to try this until I saw how much weight you guys are pulling - I'm afraid with my 50# "girly bow" the arrow might just bounce off! - that would be a confidence killer for sure
              I've stabbed wounded deer and pigs with arrows. That skin aren't quite that tough.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                I've stabbed wounded deer and pigs with arrows. That skin aren't quite that tough.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                Fortunately, I know my rig will penetrate deer and hogs but I'm not at all confident I could kill that barrel stone dead.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  There's a guy on another forum who did it.
                  He got penetration. You probably will to.

Do It !!!!!!

Rick

Comment

Penetration test on a 30 gallon plastic drum

Blue Wildebarrell!!!!!!

That was absolutely awesome Ellis!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I saw this on the Leatherwall. Interesting stuff. I need some things yet to be ready to start shooting or I would try to track down a barrel and see if my 45# would even punch a broadhead through one side lol.

Comment

Just finished uploading videos for two more test shots.

One shot with a 175gr Grizzly Right Single Bevel, and one with a 175gr VPA 3 Blade.

I used the same 640gr arrow that I used for the 175gr Bishop Archery Right Single Bevel.

Everything about this arrow is the same, except for the changing of the broadheads.

What does this all prove? Probably nothing to a lot of folks.

What did I learn from it? I learned I can have full confidence in my hunting rig for most animals, and I learned, that the only real significant difference the broadheads make are the shape of the holes they cut.

Here's the Grizzly video:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                        I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Here's the VPA video:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                        I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Enjoy !

Rick

Comment

Speaking of the differences in the holes the different broadheads made:

While reviewing the pictures, I saw something very interesting.
                          Can you see what I see?
                          Lets compare our impression of the differences.

Rick
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                            Blue Wildebarrell!!!!!!

That was absolutely awesome Ellis!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Thanks, Jerry. This stuff is supposed to be fun, right?

Comment

Got in from game a bit ago and looked at the new videos. Cool stuff.

Looking at the entry/exit views shows that the single bevels are slicing AND twisting and cracking the plastic beyond the actual blade path as they penetrate, where the three blade mainly cuts its way through. It's my understanding that the twisting action is a major design element to break bone by splintering it if encountered.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                                Got in from game a bit ago and looked at the new videos. Cool stuff.

Looking at the entry/exit views shows that the single bevels are slicing AND twisting and cracking the plastic beyond the actual blade path as they penetrate, where the three blade mainly cuts its way through. It's my understanding that the twisting action is a major design element to break bone by splintering it if encountered.

The 3 blade spun too.

Comment

Working...
                                X