Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Draw hunts, what are y'all putting in for and did you draw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drycreek View Post
    Question for everyone. I'm always confused by the system. I'm wanting to apply for the Young County Dove Hunt and it says "1 to 4 people per application".

What does that mean exactly? Does that mean if I apply I can bring three friends with me?

Basically I want to be able to bring my Dad and 2 brothers so does that mean I add them on my application? Or do they have to add themselves? And I think they got rid of the disqualification for double adding. If I don't add them and I get drawn then I'm going alone?

Why do they have to make this stuff so hard. Why can't they just let you register, pay the fee and then if you win you can bring three friends? Instead they always seems to make it the most convoluted system possible.
    You can put up to 4 People on the application including yourself. One person has to do it all. You have to pay the application fee for all applicants. And everybody can pay for their own permit fees if drawn. If you just brought people with you if drawn people would get out of paying ap fee and permit fees. And everybody would have everybody they knew applying even if they don't hunt.

Comment

I'm new to the permit thing. I have to this point only done the antlerless gun permit for bannister.

I see in some of the others where there is an application fee. It also has a fee per adult which is significantly higher. Is this what you pay if you get the permit? For instance, 1 drawn hunt has a application fee of $3 but the price per adult is $80. Do you risk the $3 and if you are awarded the hunt you pay an additional $80? Just wanting to know how this stuff works.

I am off the week of Christmas so any deer-gun hunts during that time is great for me.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
        I'm new to the permit thing. I have to this point only done the antlerless gun permit for bannister.

I see in some of the others where there is an application fee. It also has a fee per adult which is significantly higher. Is this what you pay if you get the permit? For instance, 1 drawn hunt has a application fee of $3 but the price per adult is $80. Do you risk the $3 and if you are awarded the hunt you pay an additional $80? Just wanting to know how this stuff works.

I am off the week of Christmas so any deer-gun hunts during that time is great for me.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
        You pay $3 to throw your name into the hat for a chance at the drawing, if you are drawn you pay $80 or $130 for the permit which allows you on the property during the date and time you are drawn. So basically the $80 is an access or usage fee. You use your own tags unless its the NFS which issues you an antlerless tag.
        Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
          Put in for 53 I think last year, drew 3. Think I've got 55 down to put in for this year.
          I guess you put in for near everything? Just want to hunt and not focusing on trophy hunts? Ever kill anything on them that's decent?

Comment

Originally posted by j_chaserman1 View Post
            You use your own tags unless its the NFS which issues you an antlerless tag.
            Hope this helps
            Did this change??
            On past hunts, TPWD issued tags if you killed, not from your license.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
              Did this change??

No
              Most hunts I have been on they issue you the permit and you do not use your tags.

The only one I have hunted that you have to use your own tags is Balcones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Has the application deadline already passed on most of the hunts?

Comment

Putting in for all the ones I can afford. No lease/not a land owner. Got to apply.

Comment

Originally posted by droptine8850 View Post
                    Has the application deadline already passed on most of the hunts?

No
                    Just started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What's the deal with Guadalupe State Park this year? They aren't offering as many hunts this time around. Or Honey Creek?

Comment

Did this change??
                        I did Balcones before they were part of TPWD system and had to use own tags then, I was drawn for lower Rio Grande NWR last year and it is own tags use as well, so it seems that the NWR are own tag use, I have yet to be drawn for anything else..

Comment

Originally posted by j_chaserman1 View Post
                          I did Balcones before they were part of TPWD system and had to use own tags then, I was drawn for lower Rio Grande NWR last year and it is own tags use as well, so it seems that the NWR are own tag use, I have yet to be drawn for anything else..
                          Ok.
                          All the WMA's and State Parks I've been on, TPWD issued tags. Looks like it's different for Federal land.

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                            What's the deal with Guadalupe State Park this year? They aren't offering as many hunts this time around. Or Honey Creek?
                            Nothing new.
                            Seems like every year, the permits get shorter or they remove a place altogether.
                            I haven't really looked at this year real hard yet but already noticed they took Fort Boggy SP out of the archery hunts. Just don't understand what or why they do things like this!!

Comment

Nothing new.
                              Seems like every year, the permits get shorter or they remove a place altogether.
                              I haven't really looked at this year real hard yet but already noticed they took Fort Boggy SP out of the archery hunts. Just don't understand what or why they do things like this!!

I hunted fort boggy archery last year , I belive they took it out because no one has ever harvested a deer during archery hunt ,
                              I will say the reason why is the 13in rule because I had a very nice mature buck at 15 yards he was super tall just not 13 wide , also saw lots of small bucks it is a tough hunt for 3 days with a bow , I could have killed my limit if I had a rifle just hard to get in right spot with a bow with in 3 days

Comment

Originally posted by Swamphunterfw View Post
                                I hunted fort boggy archery last year , I belive they took it out because no one has ever harvested a deer during archery hunt ,
                                I will say the reason why is the 13in rule because I had a very nice mature buck at 15 yards he was super tall just not 13 wide , also saw lots of small bucks it is a tough hunt for 3 days with a bow , I could have killed my limit if I had a rifle just hard to get in right spot with a bow with in 3 days
                                I've hunted it 4 times. Being it's only 45 min. from my house, I always got to hunt it as a stand-by if I was off during the hunt dates. Deer have been killed there with a bow. The place is full of deer. Every time I went, I either had a shot and missed or had a shot and passed. The guy that runs the hunt lives on the park. Love hunting that place.

Comment

Working...
                                X