Any Coin Collectors..advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
    Appreciate it guys! I spent about 3 hours beginning the research on Dad's coins today.

I discovered several of the pennies from 1944 but not the elusive 1943 copper, but still more to look thru. Lot's of the old dimes, silver dollars and others. So new to this it's confusing but researching from suggestions. One thing I have found out so far, there are so many variables of what's valuable it's mind blowing!
    Look closely at the 1942 Mercury dimes!!

Last year my friends Mother-in-law wanted to sell her hoard of them so I offered her 15% over spot silver. She was happy with that price since dealers only offered 85-90% of spot price. She had about 500 of them, and since she was a widow and needed the money, I insisted on sitting down with her and going through them to see if any were better date coins. I found a beautiful 1942/41 worth about $1000!!
    I offered to buy it, but she decided to keep it to pass on to one of her grandkids. Finding that coin for her made my day and hers!!

Comment

Watching with interest

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
        Look closely at the 1942 Mercury dimes!!

Last year my friends Mother-in-law wanted to sell her hoard of them so I offered her 15% over spot silver. She was happy with that price since dealers only offered 85-90% of spot price. She had about 500 of them, and since she was a widow and needed the money, I insisted on sitting down with her and going through them to see if any were better date coins. I found a beautiful 1942/41 worth about $1000!!
        I offered to buy it, but she decided to keep it to pass on to one of her grandkids. Finding that coin for her made my day and hers!!
        Thanks...Dad had a lot of these dimes but I have not gone thru them yet. I don't expect to get rich but it's kinda like playing the lottery except we have something with some value instead of just paper, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
          Thanks...Dad had a lot of these dimes but I have not gone thru them yet. I don't expect to get rich but it's kinda like playing the lottery except we have something with some value instead of just paper, lol!

Very true. If you want to play no-lose lottery, go to the bank every year and get a few rolls of newly minted coins in each denomination and put them away. It can pay off!

If you had put away rolls of 1983 quarters it would have been a good investment. Over 600 billion of them were minted that year so not many were saved, but the mint did not make Mint Sets that year. Now collectors are looking for uncirculated examples of them and they go for $900-1000 per roll.

In 2009 the mintage of dimes was the lowest since 1955. When the mintage numbers came out, collectors were scrambling to get all they could. For a few months those rolls of dimes you could get at the bank were selling for $100-150/roll on eBay. Now they bring $10-20 a roll. I sold a bunch of them that year.

Mint errors like doubled dies are sometimes not found for years, and those rolls you set back could pay off quite well. If not, you can always get your money back on them.

Comment

Good luck I have a bunch of old currency that belonged to my grandpa before he passed in 79. Its all stored inside an old Prince Albert tobacco tin also. I know I have red serial bill and other's have all kinds of old silver and other coins from the early 1900's. I haven't ever gone through it as to me it has more sentimental value than its actual worth, but someday I will. Heck that tin is worth some money.

Comment

DO NOT CLEAN OR POLISH any of the coins!!! That will diminish the value of it.

Comment

When I was a kid, my father was Assistant Fire Chief and when he heard from the police that someone's house was broken into and money (coin collections) was stolen, he would go down to the 7-11 the next couple of days and buy all their change in the cash box. Never failed some kid had used the coins to buy candy and drink.

Comment

If you’re selling any, let me know!!

Comment

Coin values never stand still. Using a step by step method finds how much your coins are worth. Popular series and scarce dates are identified. Mintmarks are highlighted and located. Subtle differences in condition are graded to narrow range on value charts. Discover the value in your box of old coins.

Here's a quick reference site I use from time to time. Good luck with your coins Kuma. This kind of hobby can be addictive.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDecker View Post
                      When I was a kid, my father was Assistant Fire Chief and when he heard from the police that someone's house was broken into and money (coin collections) was stolen, he would go down to the 7-11 the next couple of days and buy all their change in the cash box. Never failed some kid had used the coins to buy candy and drink.
                      Yep. Kids are bad about stealing from their parents collections too.

When the Sacagawea Dollar mule error was found I searched a lot of rolls looking for them. I was going through them on my desk at work when my cousin picked one up and said they looked different than his. He said he bought a roll out of curiosity and the one on the end had Washington's head on it. I told him if he had one like that it was worth $70,000. He went home and looked in his dresser drawer where he had put it and the roll was gone!! Turned out his stepson had taken the roll.

New Mexico collector Tommy Bolack now owns 12 of the 16 known (2000)-P double-denomination mule error coins.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                        https://www.coinstudy.com/

Here's a quick reference site I use from time to time. Good luck with your coins Kuma. This kind of hobby can be addictive.
                        Thanks QB, shortcut on my desktop now!

LOL, it is addicting and I've found about 2 hours of shifting thru and looking up a day is all I can do. Of course, Momma is watching her "girly TV" while I'm at my desk doing my thing.

I'm learning so much, again, it's mind blowing. I've also learned there are YouTube videos that contradict each other with a lot of "wanna be's" posting it would seem.

"Still owe you that promised lunch someday Buddy!"

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          If you’re selling any, let me know!!
                          I will!.....once I feel at least a little comfortable with my "knowledge" of what I have. I put several in the "spend pile" this afternoon, then did some more research and got them out and put in the "keep" file.

This ole' Dog is slowly learning..it's fun! Thankful I'm retired...addicted now!

Comment

I see PEROW chimed in. If I was you , I would call him and arrange a time to meet and have him look at your coins. Make it worth his time even if you dont sell because it will darn sure make you money in the long haul.

Perow spent about 20 hours going through over 10,000 items of jewelry for me once. Super educational for me

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              I see PEROW chimed in. If I was you , I would call him and arrange a time to meet and have him look at your coins. Make it worth his time even if you dont sell because it will darn sure make you money in the long haul.

Perow spent about 20 hours going through over 10,000 items of jewelry for me once. Super educational for me
                              Just sent him a PM from your recommendation...Thanks!

Comment

By the way, I never got his PM number? Just wanted PEROW know I did not ignore it??

Comment

Working...
                                X