Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX
Default Crazy how many hunters blame the broadhead...

I'm a gun hunter 100%.... Only thing I have ever killed with a bow was a raccoon and an armadillo and that was YEARS ago with a recurve.

I'm an active member of the GS because frankly it is the best hunting forum on the planet period.... I enjoy reading all the stories, live hunts, poking back and forth, and just being part of all that the GS is and offers. That being said, I have seen a LOT of blaming the broadhead posts the last few weeks. So many "perfect" shots robbed from hunters by vindictive and defective broadheads that they will NEVER use again. LMAO!!!

We all pull shots.... If you haven't then you aren't hunting enough. Just realize how silly it makes you seem when you don't have the sand to say, "I made a sub-par shot..."

Respect to all those that call it like it is and laughs to those who look for something else to blame.

Carry on....
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

100% correct! Always that way for alot. Broadhead, bullet, shotshell ,gun etc. Never the loose nut behind the weapon. Lol!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #3
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point

Yep. Hunt long enough with a bow and you will likely lose an animal. I rarely chime in on the "I blame the broadhead" threads. It's usually a dog pile from one side or the other. There is the "you made a bad shot" crowd and "yep, those BH suck!" crowd. To be fair, there is also the encouraging few that try to give some honest input on how to improve and move on from losing an animal.
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
texan16
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

If a hunter is using a mechanical broad head there is always a slim outside chance it wont deploy and/or work properly....but very slim. If you shoot an animal with a rifle or an arrow and dont kill it........... IT IS YOUR FAULT !!!!!!! Not the bullet or the broad head. Heck, I know a guy that killed a whitetailed deer with a field point. Its all about shot placement.
texan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #5
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
To be fair, there is also the encouraging few that try to give some honest input on how to improve and move on from losing an animal.
Thank God for those folks...listening to some of the fault finding crowd would make some people give up. I'd much prefer someone who hunts with a bow to give constructive criticism and advice than for a blowhard to chime in just to "hear" themselves "talk"

JMO
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 03:25 PM   #6
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Lots of new bowhunters. Its a learning experience. Nothing wrong with trying to find something you're confident in. If it were easy, gun hunters would be doing it. I've seen the same thing about bullets on this site also.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 03:26 PM   #7
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

So then why switch to “Underwood out of the big bore calibers”? Does it really matter? Do they shoot differntly?
I generally agree with you and a huge percentage are probably poor shot placement but everyone has had a bed experience be it a mechanical opening mid flight or not at all ,a fixed with a poor blood trail or a ballistic disintegrating on impact. I guess my point is it hard to say someone sounds silly with so many variables.
myway is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDispatcher View Post
Thank God for those folks...listening to some of the fault finding crowd would make some people give up. I'd much prefer someone who hunts with a bow to give constructive criticism and advice than for a blowhard to chime in just to "hear" themselves "talk"

JMO
Isn't that 85% of what goes on here these days?
I tend to stay out of the BH mech/fixed convo's also. I know what I like and what works for me. And sifting through the popcorn comments wears me thin.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #9
Stoof
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Lots of new bowhunters. Its a learning experience. Nothing wrong with trying to find something you're confident in. If it were easy, gun hunters would be doing it. I've seen the same thing about bullets on this site also.
I haven't lost a deer with my Mathews yet! Did get me a Prime recently though............
Old 10-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #10
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myway View Post
So then why switch to “Underwood out of the big bore calibers”? Does it really matter? Do they shoot differntly?
Actually yes.... Tightest groups out of anything I've ever fired from .45 caliber Specialty Pistols. So accuracy is the reason for my switch....never did I blame anything on a bad shot. I would feel that if one braodhead was more accurate than another, then that would be a very good reason to make a switch... correct? Your point seems kinda like apples to oranges....
Old 10-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #11
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoof View Post
Isn't that 85% of what goes on here these days?
I tend to stay out of the BH mech/fixed convo's also. I know what I like and what works for me. And sifting through the popcorn comments wears me thin.
I made a post the other night on the latest crazy one, trying to calm it down...I gave up and edited it and told them to have at it it's sometimes amusing, but usually ends up headed down the wrong trail very quickly
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #12
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBRASS View Post
I'm a gun hunter 100%.... Only thing I have ever killed with a bow was a raccoon and an armadillo and that was YEARS ago with a recurve.

I'm an active member of the GS because frankly it is the best hunting forum on the planet period.... I enjoy reading all the stories, live hunts, poking back and forth, and just being part of all that the GS is and offers. That being said, I have seen a LOT of blaming the broadhead posts the last few weeks. So many "perfect" shots robbed from hunters by vindictive and defective broadheads that they will NEVER use again. LMAO!!!

We all pull shots.... If you haven't then you aren't hunting enough. Just realize how silly it makes you seem when you don't have the sand to say, "I made a sub-par shot..."

Respect to all those that call it like it is and laughs to those who look for something else to blame.

Carry on....
No different than a bullet or caliber debate. Marginal shots have a better chance with so and so bullet, or so and so caliber.

Carry on....
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 03:32 PM   #13
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Anyone else ever been in an active broadhead blame situation? One where the guy swears they made a perfect shot and you trail the deer for 400 yards before backing out. They spend all evening blaming the broadhead, and you go out the next morning and find the deer. Turns out they center punched the deer and that "perfect shot" was actually a liver shot, and the only reason you found the deer is because the broadhead did its job and left a blood trail big enough to follow for 600 yards. Hunted with some new guys last year and had 2 of those type situations the same weekend!
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 03:33 PM   #14
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

No one likes to admit when they are wrong or when they messed up. Seems to be human nature. Dont expect that to change anytime soon.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #15
TXBRASS
Ten Point

I don't have a dog in the fight not being an archer, just find the whole deal funny. As posted above, no different with gun guys at all. I'm a firearms instructor and know full-well the deal when officers bring me an "off" gun. Probably 5% of the time it's the gun and 95% the shooter's error.
This whole thread is just for smiles..... No better place to hang out on the net than the GS...even with bad broadheads...
Old 10-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #16
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolilloLoco View Post
No one likes to admit when they are wrong or when they messed up. Seems to be human nature. Dont expect that to change anytime soon.
No need for anymore responses.... You nailed it!
Old 10-30-2018, 03:45 PM   #17
DOUBLE-Z
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wheeler & Hemphill

didn't those guys get it bad enough on their own thread?
DOUBLE-Z is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 03:51 PM   #18
AndyTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolilloLoco View Post

I think a lot of times it’s like what was stated earlier on this thread or the other one. Sometimes what we think we see and actual reality are two different things. May have nothing to do with admitting to anything. It all happens so fast.
AndyTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #19
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

Quote:
Actually yes.... Tightest groups out of anything I've ever fired from .45 caliber Specialty Pistols. So accuracy is the reason for my switch....never did I blame anything on a bad shot. I would feel that if one braodhead was more accurate than another, then that would be a very good reason to make a switch... correct? Your point seems kinda like apples to oranges....
Not to me but maybe I am seeing it differently. If a ballistic implodes on impact or brodhead fails to open or opens mid flight how is that different from a shooters perspective?
In regards to some not “owning” a poor shot I believe its mental for the most part and what they believe in there head. I have been guilty but I think the difference is with an arrow there are multiple variables. Distance, angle, reaction of the animal. You see the knock and believe that’s the entry point when reality is it could be totally different related to angle and not creating near the damage of a bullet and probably much more unlikely to be found. Which leads to needing an explanation.. easy one is the broad head when reality is the majority were just a poorly placed shot. I agree with you but I think there are just way more variables with a bow.
myway is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #20
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

I really did see a broadhead fail.
It was a slick trick that a fellow shot through both lungs of a fallow deer on my place a few years ago.
I watched the deer go 100 yards and lay down.
30 minutes later it was still picking its head up and the hunter tried to slip in and get another arrow in it.
It jumped up and ran like it had never been shot. 4 hours later I was able to kill it with a rifle.
When we cleaned it the arrow had passed through both lungs.

It was a mind boggling thing.

I posted this not to bash slick tricks but as an example that sometimes things just happen.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #21
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

this is TBH, the land where nobody has ever lost a fight and every shot is perfect
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 04:03 PM   #22
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myway View Post
Not to me but maybe I am seeing it differently. If a ballistic implodes on impact or brodhead fails to open or opens mid flight how is that different from a shooters perspective?
In regards to some not “owning” a poor shot I believe its mental for the most part and what they believe in there head. I have been guilty but I think the difference is with an arrow there are multiple variables. Distance, angle, reaction of the animal. You see the knock and believe that’s the entry point when reality is it could be totally different related to angle and not creating near the damage of a bullet and probably much more unlikely to be found. Which leads to needing an explanation.. easy one is the broad head when reality is the majority were just a poorly placed shot. I agree with you but I think there are just way more variables with a bow.
Good points.....some I didn't consider. Thanks for remaining respectful and explaining.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #23
RobinHood
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Duval Counties

When I don’t win in that gun raffle, I’m gonna blame the drawer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RobinHood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 05:23 PM   #24
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post
When I don’t win in that gun raffle, I’m gonna blame the drawer...

Judge Mueller! LOL

Old 10-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #25
2coolforschool
Eight Point

Well, when you have people that shoot mid body and think it’s the “pump station”, you’re bound to have these sorts of threads continue to be posted.
2coolforschool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 06:14 PM   #26
RobinHood
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Duval Counties

Quote:
Judge Mueller! LOL

Oh hell, I better stay on good terms with that fella. Lol

RobinHood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 06:42 PM   #27
rjtkdplus
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Everywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
It was a slick trick that a fellow shot through both lungs of a fallow deer on my place a few years ago.
30 minutes later it was still picking its head up and the hunter tried to slip in and get another arrow in it.
It jumped up and ran like it had never been shot. 4 hours later I was able to kill it with a rifle.

I posted this not to bash slick tricks but as an example that sometimes things just happen.
I had a similar experience with a whitetail but just credited that deer with an extra will to live. The broadhead punched a hole through both lungs. Can't ask for it to do more than that.
rjtkdplus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 06:52 PM   #28
wow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, and any where im invited

Quote:
I don't have a dog in the fight not being an archer, just find the whole deal funny. As posted above, no different with gun guys at all. I'm a firearms instructor and know full-well the deal when officers bring me an "off" gun. Probably 5% of the time it's the gun and 95% the shooter's error.
This whole thread is just for smiles..... No better place to hang out on the net than the GS...even with bad broadheads...
Agree instructor for 25 years. When I took a weapon and it performs . User error most times
wow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 09:18 PM   #29
Stoof
Pope & Young

Another factor would be tuning of any projectile, precision machine and having a basic understanding of the applied science. 2nd and 3rd axis. Tuning. Applies to guns and bows. If you know your machine you probably have a good idea of how to use it.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:32 PM   #30
Black-N-Red
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTX View Post
I think a lot of times it’s like what was stated earlier on this thread or the other one. Sometimes what we think we see and actual reality are two different things. May have nothing to do with admitting to anything. It all happens so fast.
^^^^^^^^This is it right here.^^^^^^^^

October the 22nd I shot the biggest buck I’ve ever laid eyes on. I actually shot him twice. The 1st shot was a heart shot at 27yrds, but he was after a doe. He came right back at me, at 10yrds I shot him again. At the time I would have put money, a lot of money that it was a lethal shot. What to me looked like a shot right behind the shoulder, a double lung shot, turned out to be a shot straight through the hind quarter!!

Just for the record he was shot with Rage Hypo��������

I’m not a fan of any broadhead either. I shoot what I got. Or what’s on clearance.

Last edited by Black-N-Red; 10-30-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Black-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 09:37 PM   #31
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I see lots of wounded deer threads with bows. Just don’t bring up neck shooting a deer with a rifle because it isn’t ethical.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 09:37 PM   #32
CEO
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTX View Post
This is what happened on the first deer I shot with a bow. I had gotten my bow about a year earlier, shot every day. I was a killer on the target and usually won when we shot the dart system at the bow shop. Fast forward to the hunt and an old doe walks out, I put the pin right where I want and watch the arrow disappear right behind the shoulder. I'm pumped, not just because I put a deer down but I feel like all that practice paid off. I get down and find my arrow...GUTS. Not a bit of blood anywhere. Tried for hours to find that deer and never did. That was nearly 20 years ago and to this day I can still see that arrow hit the mark.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 09:44 PM   #33
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDispatcher View Post
I made a post the other night on the latest crazy one, trying to calm it down...I gave up and edited it and told them to have at it it's sometimes amusing, but usually ends up headed down the wrong trail very quickly
What did I miss?
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2018, 01:50 AM   #34
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post

I made a perfect shot on a big bodied, old, mature buck that was standing square, broadside, at 15 yards from a ground blind. I was shooting NAP Spitfire 125's. A Complete pass through. I knew exactly where I hit him, in the top of the arm pit crease, 5-6 inches up from his sternum.. Perfect. It exited 2" further back at the same elevation... He took off like a bolt of lightening and ran about 100 yards and stopped. At this point he left 2 8-10" puddles of bubble filled blood about 10 inches apart and I could tell from the sign he was also bleeding from his mouth. From that point on, for the next 50 or so yards, the blood trail varied from very spotty to nothing.. After that there was nothing at all. I continued searching and found where he had laid up. mashed down grass with some blood then again nothing. I continued in the general direction I though he was heading and luckily, accidently, found 2 more spots where he had laid down.. I have now covered 400+ yards. After kneeling at the last spot where he had bedded I stood up and saw him laying 45 yards away..
This buck was lethally hit with a huge hole through both lungs and I ALMOST lost him.. It was incredible to see the damage to his vitals and I couldn't imagine how he just carried it with him for that distance before dying.. His entire body cavity was filled with blood..
It definitely had me thinking.. Loosing one after making a really good shot can happen..

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 10-31-2018 at 01:54 AM.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2018, 03:47 AM   #35
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

There are so many variables in bow hunting as mentioned above therefore it's kind of silly to blame a broad head. At the end of the day it is on the archer; the broad head didn't choose us, we choose it. More importantly, we choose to release the arrow.

There are plenty of "blind peeps" bow hunting including myself that scew reality via seeing what we hoped to see versus what actually transpired or reality. This was mentioned above as well.

Additionally, covered above is the fact that taking responsibility and just admitting that we made a far less than perfect shot is not common place. it's human nature to not freely admit our short comings but it is a liberating feeling to do so.

You fellas are good, you have it all covered not sure why I even posted now
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2018, 08:51 AM   #36
berettadave
Ten Point

Hunt In: In vain

Wonder if Sitting Bull ever leaned over to his wife Squattin' Heifer and said "flintrock point no workum, me needum Rage"?
berettadave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2018, 10:44 PM   #37
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

I botched a shot on a pig th other day

I started to post that I had been abandoned by my broadheads, arrows and bow. Quiver was not involved so he was sticking with me for now. Rest of the involved equipment was debating whether to give me a pass or use this instance of poor performance on my part to seek better shooter

Figured I would end up in the cooler so I just let it go

Strange things do happen like Buff said, majority are bad shots, some the shooter thinks they saw a good shot but reality is not always the way it appears
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2018, 10:48 PM   #38
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

So true.... And taking shots at poor shot angles.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2018, 11:15 PM   #39
toledo
Eight Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease

It happens. Biggest deer ive killed by far was shot with a grim reaper whitetail special that failed terribly. "Crossbow rated" but the long thin blades were obviously not up to the job. Perfect double lung shot, nothing but ribs. On hitting the first set of ribs, two blades broke completely off and one blade broke in half leaving a field point and half of one blade entering the lungs. Very lucky for me the deer ran 40 yards and stopped and looked back to see what happened followed by him walking off. This gave him a good bit of time to bleed out before crashing in sight. It took WAY longer than it should have. Had he just ran like most deer, with zero blood trail, he had plenty of time to clear 400-500 hundred yards and not been found in the thicket he was headed to.
toledo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #40
AndyTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
I see lots of wounded deer threads with bows. Just don’t bring up neck shooting a deer with a rifle because it isn’t ethical.

No? That use to be my fav shot. Drop them in their tracks.
AndyTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top