Youth .22 Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth .22 Recommendations

Helping my brother look for a bday present (Oct 10) for his son. Jacob is going on 8 and has some shooting experience.

I bought him a nice pellet gun last year and he's since started shooting his dads 223. Now he wants a "real gun."

SO we are looking for some ideas for a youth model rifle, most likely in 22LR. Looking to buy brand new. Price range $200-$300.

Kris wants:

Oops! that page cannot be found... We do not have any page at the address you requested. Sorry about the trouble!Please use the menu to navigate to other pages ...

but he can't seem to find one anywhere in stock.

Anybody have any recommendations regarding a 410/22 similar to the link above?

Would also be willing to hear some suggestions regarding a plain ol' .22LR. Again, brand new preferred but would entertain offers for "like new" rifles that would fit an 8YO

Thanks,
    Tim

EDIT: May have spoken too soon. Kris is set on a 22/410. Does anybody have a lead on one to ship to an FFL? If not, then we'll start considering the .22
    Last edited by BlackHogDown; 09-28-2018, 08:58 AM.

I've got a packaged deal for you. Rifle looks practically brand new and I would guess 2-3k rounds to keep the young man busy. It's a tack driver but we rarely shoot it anymore. I'll PM my number and can send you pics and price.

Comment

A Ruger 10/22 is a rifle that will last his lifetime.

Comment

Cz 455 scout .22lr. Great rifles that shoot lights out and will last his lifetime. No help on the shotgun combo. But honestly would look at buying them separately a year apart to get some growth on him to handle the shotgun.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
          Cz 455 scout .22lr. Great rifles that shoot lights out and will last his lifetime. No help on the shotgun combo. But honestly would look at buying them separately a year apart to get some growth on him to handle the shotgun.

That was my advice as well. Problem is that they are going wing shooting at a buddy's property later this month and he would like for him to be able to shoot with them. Not at birds of course seeing as how he hasn't done hunter's ed and doesn't have a license. He's trying to avoid buying two guns right now.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
            That was my advice as well. Problem is that they are going wing shooting at a buddy's property later this month and he would like for him to be able to shoot with them. Not at birds of course seeing as how he hasn't done hunter's ed and doesn't have a license. He's trying to avoid buying two guns right now.

No need for Hunter Ed until he is 9.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
              Oh really.... I'm oblivious to the hunter's ed rules/regs. I took it when I was ~10 and used to carry the card around (5 wallets and ten years ago). Nowadays, isn't the hunter's ed card a prereq when buying the license? If so, I guess they've got mine on file?

Do we call "Dilly Dilly" on somebody derailing/hijacking their own thread?

Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                That isn't completely accurate. 9 is the minimum age to take Hunters Ed. From 9 to 16, you don't have to have Hunters Ed if you are accompanied by someone 17 or older that has taken Hunters Ed. Accompanied means within normal voice control.

No, the Hunters Ed cert is not required when buying a license.
                Last edited by CBHunter; 09-28-2018, 09:46 AM. Reason: Add more info.

Comment

Dilly Dilly

Comment

Originally posted by CBHunter View Post
                    That isn't completely accurate. 9 is the minimum age to take Hunters Ed. From 9 to 16, you don't have to have Hunters Ed if you are accompanied by someone 17 or older that has taken Hunters Ed. Accompanied means within normal voice control.
                    Very true

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                      Can he get him a .22 and just bring that with him? Adults shoot the shotguns and then either before or after set up some shooting for the youngster on his .22? Cans bottles little cheap targets from academy Clay's etc. He gets some shooting in and still gets to hang out with the men and have a good time. I can still remember doing this very thing when I was a kid kept me busy the adults still got to do there thing and felt included in the activities.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                        A Ruger 10/22 is a rifle that will last his lifetime.
                        Great rifle as said above he can give it to his kid.

Comment

PSA has a Rossi on sale for $99

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                            Got a link?

I'm not seeing it

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                              Out of stock

Comment