APR 6.5 Creedmoor Load Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was able to make it back out to the range today with some handloads to see what they would do. Overall I was pleased and found a good node to play in with the 143 ELD and 40.5-41.5 of H4350. I also took along some 124 grain Hammer Hunters and found a load at 44.5 grains that is promising. That is a hot load though, so I will likely try 44 and see if the accuracy holds. On the recommendation of Steve with Hammer Bullets I also have some Varget to try with those bullets.

I had the ELDX's loaded over 39, 39.5, 40, 40.5, 41, 41.5, 42, and 42.5 of H4350. The groups at 40.5, 41, and 41.5 were .2440, .2470, and .3445. I will load some at 40.5, 40.7, 41, and 41.2 and take them to 300 on the next trip to see where it's at when it comes to longer ranges.

With the H4350 the only problems I noticed were slight ejector marks with the 42.5 loads.

I was pretty disappointed in the 124 Hammer Hunters until I got to the last group at 44.5 grains, which measured .2825, so I will load some more at 44, 44.2, and 44.5 to take to 300 along with some loads over Varget on my next trip. I really want to use these on my mule deer trip in November as well as in Africa next June. I like the design of the solid copper bullet and the extra velocity of the 124 round. My rifle is a 22" 1:8 barrel and the 44.5 rounds averaged 2913 with an ES of 16, compared to the 41 grain ELDX loads at 2603 with an ES of 42. I was a little disappointed with the ES numbers across the board, but I think some of that comes with practice. I haven't reloaded in about 10 years, but was pretty proud of how they performed overall.

You'll notice that some of the targets have 5 rounds, but only 3 measured for the group, that's because I shot 3 shot groups, then went back with a hot barrel to see where the last 2 loads for each were hitting compared to the cold barrel shots.

39 ELDX

39.5 ELDX

40 ELDX

40.5 ELDX

41 ELDX

41.5 ELDX

42 ELDX

42.5 ELDX (slight ejector marks and was also running out of places to aim on the target)

41.5 124 Hammer Hunter

42.5 Hammer Hunter

44.5 Hammer Hunter

Figured I'd throw in a picture of the rifle from tonight with my new patches because let's face it, who doesn't like a picture of a pretty girl!!

Load data for my APR 6.5CM.

5 shot group at 100 yards with 42.0gr H4350. I have a 24 inch barrel and using Rem 7 1/2 primers. I also got better accuracy out of the Sierra 140 than the ELDX.

I weighed 15 of those ELDX bullets and was not very impressed, weight variance was +/- .3 grains which does not amount to anything for hunting. Maybe the batch I got was made on Friday.
    Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Are you guys using brands of brass or what? One is using Lapua brass and small rifle benchrest primers and the other is using large rifle benchrest primers. I'm guessing the Lapua comes in small and large rifle primer configurations?

Comment

Yes Lapua brass with small flash hole and small primers. Redding dies are set up for the small flash hole on Lapua brass. I believe it is .060 diameter hole.

Comment

Here's a $15 box of Hornady American Whitetail out of my APR 6.5 CM

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	24554364

Comment

Wowzzer…………...

Comment

Looks like 40 to 41 grains. Someone else had good results from the 140 also.

I'm glad so many guys are narrowing down data when I decide to need it. [emoji16]

This is the first 3 rounds from my alamo man bun after boresite. The flier to the right was me not even being close to ready for the trigger to break. I was ready for the next 2.

143 eldx hornady

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Question to the OP, on your targets your drawing a box or circle around what appears to be some of the shots that are really close together but there are others in the group that would bring your measurement way up. Why are you not including those? Are they called fliers or you just like to think your groups are better than they really are? Or maybe I've just been doing it wrong all this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post

[ATTACH]925132[/ATTACH]
                  Pretty good.

I prefer to roll my own and making my own arrows. Probably a heck of a lot cheaper buying store bought stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                    Question to the OP, on your targets your drawing a box or circle around what appears to be some of the shots that are really close together but there are others in the group that would bring your measurement way up. Why are you not including those? Are they called fliers or you just like to think your groups are better than they really are? Or maybe I've just been doing it wrong all this time.
                    I was wondering about that also.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                      Question to the OP, on your targets your drawing a box or circle around what appears to be some of the shots that are really close together but there are others in the group that would bring your measurement way up. Why are you not including those? Are they called fliers or you just like to think your groups are better than they really are? [emoji14] Or maybe I've just been doing it wrong all this time. [emoji6]b

I shot 3 shots of each, which are the boxed groups. I then went back with a hot barrel and rushed through shooting the other 2 shots I had loaded for each powder level to see where they were hitting out of a hot barrel and mainly because I needed the brass to try some other loads and wanted to get the bullets out of them. Some of the targets I also shot at different aiming points on the last 2.

A couple of the groups would’ve actually been smaller if I was just picking the best 3.

I normally would’ve done 5 shot groups at each, but was short on time since I had to pick my son up and get him to baseball practice
                      Last edited by tommy1005; 09-19-2018, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post

[ATTACH]925132[/ATTACH]

Mine likes the 140 Hornady Black ammo as well. That flyer was a first shot after cleaning the rifle. The next 5 made that group which were shots 7-11 out of the rifle

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
                          I shot 3 shots of each, which are the boxed groups. I then went back with a hot barrel and rushed through shooting the other 2 shots I had loaded for each powder level to see where they were hitting out of a hot barrel and mainly because I needed the brass to try some other loads and wanted to get the bullets out of them. Some of the targets I also shot at different aiming points on the last 2.

A couple of the groups would’ve actually been smaller if I was just picking the best 3.

I normally would’ve done 5 shot groups at each, but was short on time since I had to pick my son up and get him to baseball practice

I'm just picking at you. That is one fine shooting rifle and I'm really mad at myself for not getting in on the group buy.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
                            Mine likes the 140 Hornady Black ammo as well. That flyer was a first shot after cleaning the rifle. The next 5 made that group which were shots 7-11 out of the rifle

My LaRue 6.5CM likes the Hornady Black. I've never shot it out of the APR bolt gun but I will now! Nice group!

Comment

Take a look at RL-26. One of my creedmoors loves it. In the other, 42.5 of H4350 does the trick.

Comment

Working...
                              X