Squirrel Recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squirrel Recipes?

Our pest control guy came by the house yesterday for our monthly service. He said that we have squirrels that are trying to nest inside our gutters. Our gutters are covered and the squirrels are climbing up the down spouts. So priority #1 is to cover the downspouts. He said that the squirrels need to go before they chew into our attic and cause some real problems.

That being said, the yard rats will soon be deterred or dead. So what are some of your favorite squirrel recipes? I have a feeling that it will soon be a new addition to our dinner menu.

Growing up I remember eating them with my Grandpa. We would season them, flour them, fry them, and then smother them in a gravy. Delicious.

Comment

Fry the young ones. Gravy the old ones or dumplings. They also make a wonderful gumbo

Comment

They are great stew meat.

Comment

Originally posted by JCroft11 View Post
          Growing up I remember eating them with my Grandpa. We would season them, flour them, fry them, and then smother them in a gravy. Delicious.
          Yes sir had the same experience as a child.^^^^^^^^

Comment

Fried squrriel & bisquits & gravy. Sunday dinner in the hills.

Comment

Originally posted by GR5 View Post
              Fry the young ones. Gravy the old ones or dumplings. They also make a wonderful gumbo
              This man speaks the truth.

Comment

I got two with the blowgun this evening. I made damascus broad head darts, well, because I can. Worked really well. 2 down and way too many to go.

Comment

Mom always cut em up and fried them like fried chicken, they were very good.

Comment

Originally posted by kahowell1 View Post
                    I got two with the blowgun this evening. I made damascus broad head darts, well, because I can. Worked really well. 2 down and way too many to go.

Thats impressive..how does that work? Do they run? Enough power to kill instantly? Doubt I could hit a truck tire with one much less a squirrel. I had it stewed as a youngn

Comment

Rice and gravy baby! I grew up eating them fried with mashed taters and homemade milk gravy but living in La I really like browning them in a black iron pot and cooking them down and making a grease gravy. I think that's my wifes favorite animal to hunt and eat lol

Comment

Comment

First, please post pics of the blowdarted squirrels.

Second, here is how I have had squirrel.

In a crockpot put all your favorite vegetables and some good seasoning with a can or two of tomatoe sauce. Brown the squirrel in a pan then throw it into the crockpot. Cook till it falls off the bone and serve on rise

Comment

Buy this book and all your wishes will be granted.... Seriously though, tons of awesome recipes for anything with (or without) a hunting or fishing season.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                              Buy this book and all your wishes will be granted.... Seriously though, tons of awesome recipes for anything with (or without) a hunting or fishing season.
                              yep, 850 pages thick with over 500 killer recipes from the Bayou

here's your tree rat recipe

http://beta.lpb.org/index.php/progra...l_in_pan_gravy

Comment

Working...
                              X