Gun Dogs and their training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun Dogs and their training

How many members are hunting birds with dogs?

Last year November a new adventure started for me with my GSP called Ryker

He has grown a lot in 8 months, we are starting to work wild birds now with a lot of work and adventures together.

We will be starting to compete in field trails next year to enable both of us to learn as we go and be in place to guide international clients for upland and waterfowl hunts.

Would love to see and hear what members on the green screen does with regards to
    training their gun dogs in the off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking dog. I have a gsp too and he's been my hunting with me for two years and does great. I honestly don't do any bird training during the off season. He knows when to work. Where did you get Ryker?

Comment

Great looking pup.

Comment

The main thing I do with mine right now is obedience. About once a week I will take her out and work on some retrieves and what not. I will get a bird wing out on a fishing pole every once in a while as well.

Comment

We’ve always sent ours to the professionals right off the bat and then build upon what they’ve learned. Simple retrieves and obedience training to keep them sharp.

I realize I didn’t really answer your questions but I never pass an opportunity to show off the pups lol

Comment

I throw a dead bird decoy with mine a couple times a week for about 15 minutes and do obedience daily. I do "stay" and "go get it" everyday at every meal.

Comment

This is Harley....best duck getter i've ever owned.
              Lots of obedience in the off season to stay sharp. A lot of water work, casting, blinds, and all done with a bird launcher w/.22 mag blanks to keep him use to gunfire

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
              Last edited by K. Lane; 07-11-2018, 01:38 PM.

Comment

This is Bonnie Ann Clyde. This will be her second season chasing ducks and we have a pretty good routine going. Before work in the mornings we will get a good mile jog in to keep her in shape as it is to hot in the evenings do much of anything unless it’s water work. In the afternoons we will usually hit a couple drills for about ten minutes to keep it short. One day it may be working doubles, the next it may be swim by’s with another dummy thrown in front of her on her way back with the original dummy. The next it may be force to pile with a couple cold blinds mixed in at the end. I don’t really have a set schedule. I try to hit everything we may encounter in the field atleast twice a wk just to keep her sharp. Then my favorite one of all is the patience drill which is extremely easy but i feel is very overlooked as i have hunted over dogs who whine the whole morning and then after about 30min it gets old fast. About 30-45 minutes before Bonnie’s supper time i will put her food in her bowl and make her sit at heal while i watch whatever sporting event catches my eye before i say “dinner” and man you should see her haul ***** to her bowl. But i think it works because she has yet to cry on a slow morning. It may not be the right way to do things but she does what i need her to come season and she loves doing it so it’s a win win.
                Attached Files

Comment

My GSP prefers to find birds versus waiting for them to come to him. But he has been a good all round bird dog. What do you plan on hunting with yours?

As far as training it is mostly obedience and just trying to burn off his energy. We have done a few dock docks deals, his landings arent always this goofy.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
                    I throw a dead bird decoy with mine a couple times a week for about 15 minutes and do obedience daily. I do "stay" and "go get it" everyday at every meal.

She also enjoys diving.

Comment

Nothing much better than hunting with your pooch! Here is Lollie, a 4 year old Deutsch Drahthaar. She is in great shape and really coming into her own as a hunting dog. She will be full on dove in September then some early season teal then on to some quail and then back to the rice fields for big duck season. She loves it and I love to watch her.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alemana View Post
                        Great looking dog. I have a gsp too and he's been my hunting with me for two years and does great. I honestly don't do any bird training during the off season. He knows when to work. Where did you get Ryker?

Summer time it’s obedience training and long runs in cooler time of the day.

We need to be careful to check when it comes to pointing as they often point snakes like puff adders.

Ryker comes from good blood lines proven in field trails.

Comment

Wow guys,

Thats awesome looking hunting buddies.

I will mostly hunt upland birds with Ryker.

Guinea Fowl, Spur Fowl and Francolin Species.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post

We’ve always sent ours to the professionals right off the bat and then build upon what they’ve learned. Simple retrieves and obedience training to keep them sharp.

I realize I didn’t really answer your questions but I never pass an opportunity to show off the pups lol

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                            Nothing much better than hunting with your pooch! Here is Lollie, a 4 year old Deutsch Drahthaar. She is in great shape and really coming into her own as a hunting dog. She will be full on dove in September then some early season teal then on to some quail and then back to the rice fields for big duck season. She loves it and I love to watch her.
                            Love the Drahts!!! I have a nearly 11 yr old who has another season or 2 in her. Man that depresses me, I had better hunt hard with her this fall

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post

Stunning pair,

We dont see many drathaar’s around my area.

I really enjoy training my young one and learn a lot along the way...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X