feed pen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

feed pen?

would two strands of barb wire work for a feed pen to keep cows out? Or should i use more? TIA

I'm in for responses.

Comment

Id probably do 4

Comment

I have never tried but I would go 3-4

Comment

4 but I prefer hog panels

Comment

I started with 4 then made one with three... after half a season, went back and took out one of the strands on the 4 wire fence. with three, most deer will step thru the fence between the bottom and middle wires. My pens are about 35 to 40 yards square with good corners and I put a couple stays in the wires between T-Posts. So far they have done a great job keeping the cows out but pretty much letting the deer come/go unimpeded.

Comment

ok thanks guys

Comment

Worked for me in san saba.We had several 2 wire pens and the cows never went inside.All had cameras.Most of the pens were round and the cows would just walk in circles until they gave up.Before the pen,after the pen pic, and another pen.
                Attached Files

Comment

All depends on how hungry the cows are. If there's plenty to eat outside of the pen, a 2-strand should work fine. If the ranch is overgrazed, in a drought, etc., I've seen cows jump a 5-strand (have game camera pics of it here somewhere but can't seen to find them). I usually go with 3, but have used 2 successfully many times. One thing I figured out is to build the pens large enough that the corn isn't thrown outside the wire. Many have told me cows won't pick up individual pieces of corn, but I've watched them do many times at feeders.

Comment

Used 3 strand for years and haven't had cows bust through. Next door Froggy had cows bust his down almost yearly. Just turned my 2 pens into cattle panel pens a month or so ago to try and keep hogs out...

Comment

Both of my pens have 2 strands and have had calves in one pen one time in about 4 years. Key is to s--t--r--e--t--c--h it tight like a guitar string.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                        Both of my pens have 2 strands and have had calves in one pen one time in about 4 years. Key is to s--t--r--e--t--c--h it tight like a guitar string.
                        Tight is the key.You can see in my pics that I drove all of my t-post at an outward angle so when I pulled the wire tight it would continue having tension on it.

Comment

It'll work, but you need to make sure the wire is tight and you use stays

Comment

We did 3. Make them tight with alot of t posts. They will test your fence by leaning on them to find the weak point. Specially if they see alot of food. Had a few that could jump them. No stopping them

Comment

Working...
                            X