Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JD Murphree alligator hunt

Hi,

Any updates on this weeks Alligator hunts?. My son's are heading for our first alligator hunt this Saturday!.. Very excited about it. Also, any tips will be appreciated.

Getting our chicken ready. Hooks have arrived and boat has been serviced!. Hopefully we don't get to much rain.

Good luck. It's a fun hunt that we've been on twice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm hunting there tomorrow thru Friday for gators with 2 buddies. Hopefully I will be posting a success story here Friday. Tip, run your whole area before setting baits out, then set out bait near to the biggest alligator seen. Bait the inside of a bend as gators take the shortest path while swimming.

Comment

I'll be there tomorrow and Friday.

What effect will the rain have on the alligator hunting?

Comment

Thanks for the tip... How about the bait?... I'm thinking leaving chicken outside for a couple of days to "marinate", any other things to add? can sardines?.

Comment

the nastier the chicken is the better bait it is, can also use beef liver, heart, or lung are good baits. we are also taking some blood from a pig my buddies wife shot yesterday to chum with. leave bait outside for a minimum of 3 day up to 5 days prior to using. also take spare bait to refresh set up next morning if you haven't caught a gator by then.

Comment

Originally posted by jomw10 View Post
              Thanks for the tip... How about the bait?... I'm thinking leaving chicken outside for a couple of days to "marinate", any other things to add? can sardines?.
              I've found that leaving chicken outside for a day is more than enough. If you leave it too long it will turn to mush and not stay on the hook.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                I've found that leaving chicken outside for a day is more than enough. If you leave it too long it will turn to mush and not stay on the hook.

This. Save the juice for chum.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post

Yep. If it's hot outside, it doesn't even take a full day. If you have some that has turned to mush, use that for your chum. Also, wear rubber gloves when you handle the bait and try not to get it on your clothes. That rotten chicken smell doesn't wash off very easily! Ask me how I know.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.. We are super exited about it.
                    Do you usually skin the gator at the WMA or take it somewhere?.

Comment

you can skin it there or they can refer you to a skinner just down the road from them. Make sure you trim all of the fat off .

Comment

Could get a little western depending on what that storm in the Gulf does.... I’d be prepared to be wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

ps mosquitoes are bad there. I heard they are big enough to carry off a 4' gator. bug spray long sleeves and pants.

Comment

Originally posted by jomw10 View Post
                            Thanks for all the advice.. We are super exited about it.
                            Do you usually skin the gator at the WMA or take it somewhere?.
                            I've taken them somewhere and I've done it at home. Alligators are cold blooded, so it's not as important to clean them ASAP like deer or hogs. Last time I just piled them in the boat, threw 100-200# ice on top and covered with packing blankets.

All that being said if you've never cleaned one before take it somewhere. They are a real PITA if you don't know what you're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtfish View Post
                              ps mosquitoes are bad there. I heard they are big enough to carry off a 4' gator. bug spray long sleeves and pants.
                              I've heard that exaggeration before too. It's not true. The mosquitoes rarely grow bigger than the size of a man's fist.

Comment

Working...
                              X