Things you can make out of cedar/juniper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things you can make out of cedar/juniper

I took early retirement due to health issues back in 2011. I had been hunting in Montana since 2000. Had the itch to try living somewhere else so loaded up the dog and my guns and off I went. Had to have something to do between hunting seasons so I decided to try and make furniture. I had done quite a bit of woodwork over the years but never anything I would say was worth trying to sell.but how hard can it be. I soon found out. South Eastern Montana had been having quite a few forest fires which made driving around and finding good cedars much easier. It was a lot like hunting. Drive around glassing sides of mountains looking for trees that were big enough to use. The really good ones tended to be in draws that went far up the side of the mountains which meant dragging them back down to the truck. It was pretty darn hard work for a 60 yr. old with bad knees and bad ankles but when I start something I try to finish it. I sold a couple of the pieces. Gave some to friends up there. The bench came home to my mom. She wasn't very happy I had moved so far away. I really enjoyed the challenge of making something of beauty out an old tree that was charred from fire and most people would think was of no value. I'm going back in September and going to bring some wood back with me because there are still a few projects I want to do. Hope my old bones will hang with me a little bit longer!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 250AI; 07-23-2018, 10:06 PM.

That sure is some beautiful work!! Are you head up to Montana for a hunt?? Best of luck regardless, and in for the pics!!

Comment

Tagged.

Looks good and like it will last a long time.

Comment

Great work! Solid, beautiful and functional all at once!

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

wow looks real good

Comment

Great looking pieces!

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                That sure is some beautiful work!! Are you head up to Montana for a hunt?? Best of luck regardless, and in for the pics!!
                No hunting this time around. Going to pick up my elk head from 2 seasons ago and a friends from this past season. Visit friends, hang out and get out of this heat!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Really cool!

Comment

I almost forgot the most important piece I made. Vergil was 1 month short of 15 when he passed. Went everywhere I went, hunted everything I hunted. Wasn't just a dog he was my child, my best friend. Rest in piece buddy. I'm not sure the pictures uploaded but that is him with me in my aviator.

Comment

My wife would love that bench

Comment

Originally posted by 250AI View Post
                          I almost forgot the most important piece I made. Vergil was 1 month short of 15 when he passed. Went everywhere I went, hunted everything I hunted. Wasn't just a dog he was my child, my best friend. Rest in piece buddy. I'm not sure the pictures uploaded but that is him with me in my aviator.
                          I hear you on getting out of the heat. Looks like triple digits for the next 15 days for us here in Del Rio. It's been a while since I made the trek up to Leakey but it seemed like that area was always a few degrees cooler than "Hell Rio".
                          Last edited by Pedernal; 07-14-2018, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Beautiful work!

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

great craftsmanship there

Comment

Working...
                              X