Advice on Axe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Axe...

I am looking to purchase a new axe. Up until now, it has been mostly garage sale or second/thirdhand, hand me downs. Looking for an all-around camp axe that would mostly be splitting wood, taking down a few smaller trees if needed and something to carry for the zombies. Can't decide wood handle or synthetic and size, shape, etc.

Thanks In Advance for you knowledge!

Rusto

I have the Fiskars X7 and it is pretty slick. One day I will pony up the funds for a Gransfors

Comment

Stihl makes a pretty good one

Comment

Look at husqvarna axe. I have the carpetner axe style. It's been an good axe.

Comment

What’s your location? I’ve got a FD one you can have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Estwing makes a good campers axe. An axe isn't the best for splitting wood of large size, good for smaller stuff.

Comment

Gransfors bruk axes are well worth the money, look on eBay or local flea mkts,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by masonred View Post
                Estwing makes a good campers axe. An axe isn't the best for splitting wood of large size, good for smaller stuff.

I got one of these after owning several. 24 inch handle. Really surprised me in how well it's preformed. I don't go camping without it now.

I once read an article that Alaska bush pilots nearly always prefer an axe over any other survival tool because of it's versatility.

Comment

My favorite is a Hudson Bay Axe, which is a 3/4 size axe. I bought mine in 1983, my wife and I and our 2 kids were driving to Alaska. We stopped in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory to fill up with gas. I noticed that across the road there was a Hudson Bay Company store. Having always having an interest in the historic fur trade I just had to go into the store. I didn't have an axe with me so I bought one.

Comment

Fan of fiskars here...

Comment

I have an Estwing that is over 35 years old and still great. I keep it in the tool box of my truck. Blade has been sharpened down to 2/3 of original size.

Comment

If money is no issue Liam Hoffman makes some awesome stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have Fiskars chopping and splitting axes. Really hard to beat, especially at the price. After owning them, I see no need for a more expensive, wooden handled, custom - unless you just want one. They work. Only complaint is the plastic handle can get a little uncomfortable. With a pair of gloves on, shouldn’t know the difference.

Comment

I just bought the Fiskars X27 a few months ago and it makes easy work of splitting big logs!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluetex View Post
                              Look at husqvarna axe. I have the carpetner axe style. It's been an good axe.

https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-576.../dp/B00D74JBCY
                              This guy know what he’s talking about. I’ve had Fiskars before, and currently have a Gransfor and Husky. The Husky is every bit as good as my Gransfor, and my Gransfor took a bit of my thumb off and the doctor thought I did it with a straight edge. Both are shaving sharp, and I actually prefer the feel of the Husky slightly

Comment

Working...
                              X