Hagerman Helicopter hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReneC. View Post
    I was always raised to eat what we shoot and not to waste what could be eaten. Sure a helicopter hunt would be fun but to kill that many hogs and not eat them would be a huge waste. Hope you guys have fun and get your fill maybe you can give the rest away to the towns people in the area.
    You obviously do not have the right frame of mind on this. This is pest control, not hunting. An average sized sounder of hogs (20) can destroy enough wheat and corn in one night to feed 100 people. By killing them off, we are saving food for thousands.

So, I do not see this as a waste. It is a service.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
      Hunt was 5th - 7th and yes 630

Didn’t someone here say heli hunts at the Hag wouldn’t work Cus it’s too thick??
      Guess it depends on how many hogs percentage wise they took out. But waaay more than the hog hunts take out. But yeah, 630 is a buttload. I read somewhere you'd have to take out 80% of a population each year for it to remain static. I personally wouldn't care if they did a heli hunt monthly for 6 months out of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
        Yes they did!! It was a reply to a post I made about them needing to do more hunts, but due to a low budget, they could only do 1 or 2 a year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
        They wouldn't need to use a budget if they'd do a draw heli hunt with a $50 application fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
          They wouldn't need to use a budget if they'd do a draw heli hunt with a $50 application fee.
          There's no way that would happen. To much liability on their end if something happened safety wise and still will need a budget for fuel, pilot and other expenses. But heck I wouldn't mind donating $50 to help them pay for another chopper run at them.

Comment

This year, the aerial hunt resulted in the removal of 630 hogs — up from just 390 last year. However, Avery Kibbe, pilot and co-owner of Espejo Helicopters, said their work does not constitute an actual “hunt” but simple depredation.

Comment

Buddy and I put in for a hog hunt in March. hoping to get drawn I am sure there will already be another litter on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Horn chaser View Post
                There's no way that would happen. To much liability on their end if something happened safety wise and still will need a budget for fuel, pilot and other expenses. But heck I wouldn't mind donating $50 to help them pay for another chopper run at them.

Shut up Tommy. A man can dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Awesome

Comment

I'm glad they killed them but I bet the local private land owners/hunters wished they would wait till after season before they scare the living hell out of every thing in the general vicinity.

Comment

My nephew used to be a government trapper 2 years ago. He knew our lease bordered the Waggoner ranch. He sent me videos of them in a helicopter on the Wag's 20000-acre wheat field shooting pigs. He said that the entire group of trappers were there and shot around 4000 in the week they spent there.
                      We never could tell any difference in the hog population on our place.

Comment

Best thing the USFW has done at Hagerman for wildlife improvement in a long time!!!!!

It will help the deer and turkey the most, but could and will help waterfowl as well since the hogs root around all of their man made water works.
                        I hope they keep funding this every year!!!

I hunted Hagerman three years ago and that was the first time I have walked up under oak and pecan trees and acutally saw nuts on the ground instead of hog roots and I have hunted there several times in the past when the trees made lots of mast, but the hogs would vacuum it up as soon as it hit the ground.

I love the ideal of $50/$100 application fee for draw hunt to kill pigs out of the helicopter. Heck just the money they would make on application fees would pay for everything, but yea your dealing with Federal bureaucracy so it won't happen.

Comment

WOW!! Impressive.

Any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                            Shut up Tommy. A man can dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            I was dreaming right there with you but then I remembered we are talking about the US F&W and federal bs so I quit dreaming.

Comment

That sounds like a lot, but I've shot 50 pigs on 100 acres in last two months. Haggerman is 12,000 acres. 630 is pissing in the wind.
                              Last edited by BrianL; 12-12-2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I don't buy the 80% thing. The neighboring landowner to our lease killed a pile with heli hunters last winter. I've yet to see one since. Dang depressing.

Comment

Working...
                                X