Youth and Rodeo's 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth and Rodeo's 2018

I know there are a ton of kids on here that rodeo. Let's keep a thread going on what rodeo they are at and how they do this year. I love watching my daughter compete on her horse. I also enjoy watching all the other kids compete in their events.

great idea for thread

Comment

Here is her 1st run of the year. We told her to slow down and do the pattern correctly since she hadnt been on her horse in over 2 months due to the weather. She did good considering her age group is 8-13 and she was the youngest in her class. [URL]https://youtu.be/WA-xFIofOsc[URL]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Riley kicked of her 2018 season this past weekend. She typically will compete in 50-60 rodeos/races a year. Keeps us busy.

Comment

Well, I wish that I didn't have anything to post on this thread. My youngest son has started to ride Bulls now and while I'm proud, I would rather him do something else. I watched him ride 4 bulls Saturday night and he got hung up on two of them. even though he's 17 (going on 25) I don't like seeing my boy get hurt. Any way, I wish I would have had a better camera with me.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
            Well, I wish that I didn't have anything to post on this thread. My youngest son has started to ride Bulls now and while I'm proud, I would rather him do something else. I watched him ride 4 bulls Saturday night and he got hung up on two of them. even though he's 17 (going on 25) I don't like seeing my boy get hurt. Any way, I wish I would have had a better camera with me.
            The absolute best thing you can do for your son is enroll him in a quality Bullriding school. I would recommend Gary Leffew or Ted Nuce school. Learning the fundamentals and basics properly will greatly reduce injuries. Its inevitable that youre going to get hurt. But learning the right way from the beginning is huge advantage.

Comment

Bowhuntertex, I've got an 8 year old daughter getting into barrel racing also. She started learning 2 summers ago. Since then, she's just been racing at the ranch where she takes lessons. My MIL (who raced back in the 70's) bought a horse for her to ride about 3 months ago. She's just now getting close to being able to compete on her and we're looking for places to take her.

So far we've found the Suburban Riding Club in Tomball and I heard about a place in Willis. Where can I find more rodeos? Is there an organization that organizes youth rodeos?

Comment

BigWes congratulations on your daughter. Mine has been competing since she was 3. I would start by taking her to playdays etc. Those usually aren't as tough as organized youth association rodeos such as YRA, AJRA, CTYRA etc. The YRA is a great association and produces some top cowboys. They have a lot of rodeos in East Texas.

Check out the Cowboy Sports News to find events near you. http://www.cowboysportsnews.com

Comment

We will be hitting the rodeo events shortly. My 10 year old daughter competes. She will be riding her step up horse that I bought 2 years ago. She has ridden the horse several times but has not competed on it yet. The little mare has been in training for 2 years and getting hauled. Should be a good year

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                    BigWes congratulations on your daughter. Mine has been competing since she was 3. I would start by taking her to playdays etc. Those usually aren't as tough as organized youth association rodeos such as YRA, AJRA, CTYRA etc. The YRA is a great association and produces some top cowboys. They have a lot of rodeos in East Texas.

Check out the Cowboy Sports News to find events near you. http://www.cowboysportsnews.com

http://www.yratx.com/Home_Page.html
                    I though yours looked pretty confident on her horse, like she's been doing it for a while. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to find some playdays and see how things progress from there.

Comment

Originally posted by BigWes View Post
                      I though yours looked pretty confident on her horse, like she's been doing it for a while. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to find some playdays and see how things progress from there.
                      No problem. One thing I would encourage is taking her somewhere where she can be competitive and win. Winning at an early age builds confidence. If I can help you in anyway let me no. Good luck to you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                        The absolute best thing you can do for your son is enroll him in a quality Bullriding school. I would recommend Gary Leffew or Ted Nuce school. Learning the fundamentals and basics properly will greatly reduce injuries. Its inevitable that youre going to get hurt. But learning the right way from the beginning is huge advantage.
                        Great advice. Those two gentlemen are world-class, for any youngins looking to get some hair on their rowels

Comment

If you have any cowboy churches around you most put on monthly play days.

Comment

Bowhuntertex, I've got an 8 year old daughter getting into barrel racing also. She started learning 2 summers ago. Since then, she's just been racing at the ranch where she takes lessons. My MIL (who raced back in the 70's) bought a horse for her to ride about 3 months ago. She's just now getting close to being able to compete on her and we're looking for places to take her.

So far we've found the Suburban Riding Club in Tomball and I heard about a place in Willis. Where can I find more rodeos? Is there an organization that organizes youth rodeos?
                            Like Brandon said find sime local playdays, best place to start. We are in transition from play days to barrel races this year. Will still do a few play days to keep practicing between barrel races.

As suggested check with local cowboys churches and also look at tour county 4H. The one Saturday was for the 4H and if she does that good again this Saturday she will move onto regiinals and then possible State. You can also search play days in and near the county you are in and you should ve able to find some. That is how I found most of the ones my daughter started at.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I will also add .. Set goals, reasonable goals. Something they can obtain. It may be as simple making clean runs under a certain time, making a qualified ride, finish in the top 10, top 5 etc... Don't enter your kid and put the expectation for her or him to win the whole thing right away, even though that's the ultimate. Set goals based on their ability. I promise you as they grow and build confidence those little goals turn into big goals . Kids make mistakes and let them learn. Nothing kills a kids confidence more than a parent chewing their *** for not making the perfect run or winning ride. Always start the critique with a positive thought and end with a positive thought. Sometimes you have to dig deep to find it but it's imperative that you do.

Comment

Working...
                              X